Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to transfer planes over long distances

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How to transfer planes over long distances Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:29:39 PM   
Peter Fisla

Hi,

I'm new to WitP and WW2 battles in the pacific in general; so I pologize for the silly question I'm about to ask: How do I transfer planes from one base to another - the planes needs to be transferred as they can't fly to the destination (the destination is out of plane range). This game is addictive, I can't remember last time I had so much fun with a wargame. I think it was 1997 when Close Combat 1 came out. WitP is a killer wargame and worth evry canafian penny :) I can see playing this game for years to come! Hopefully Bombing the Reich version 2 will be next!

Peter
Post #: 1
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:38:02 PM   
Wooglin

See manual page 120.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 2
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:44:17 PM   
Peter Fisla

I'm not sure I undertand the page 120 "7.2.1 Air Sequence of Play" talks about moving planes overland. What I wanted to ask was how do I transfer planes between two islands that have bases though they are say 20 hexes apart ? Can I transger them as a cargo on a a ship ?

Thanks...

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 3
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:51:57 PM   
Jaws_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

I'm not sure I undertand the page 120 "7.2.1 Air Sequence of Play" talks about moving planes overland. What I wanted to ask was how do I transfer planes between two islands that have bases though they are say 20 hexes apart ? Can I transger them as a cargo on a a ship ?

Thanks...

Yes,

But maybe you must change the HQ status due not al units may be transfered.

Good Hunting

Post #: 4
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:52:06 PM   
DrewMatrix

The plane has a maximum range it can fly. That is listed under "plane data" or you can just click on "transfer to base" and then look at the list to see if you can go that far (or you can click on "choose from map" button and try to transfer.

IF you can go that far, you transfer, but only ready aircraft. If there is an ":r" after the base name you can transfer, but this is overland using railroads (like in Australia) and the planes all arrive damaged (but can be repaired).

If you transfer to a base but the base has no air support and some planes get damaged in transit you are stuck until you send air support there or a ship to pick them up.

A/C can be loaded on cargo ships (they don't take up much room) or on CVs/CVEs/CVLs to go long distances.

Oh, and if the Allies you can't use Russian bases until Russia activates

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Post #: 5
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/9/2004 11:54:27 PM   
carnifex

just fyi if you use a cargo ship to move your airplanes when they debark they will all be damaged and take time to repair

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 6
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 6:43:28 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

just fyi if you use a cargo ship to move your airplanes when they debark they will all be damaged and take time to repair

Sorry guys but I'm still puzzled. I have about 40 P-39Ds sitting in a base (I'm playing Guadancanal scenario 004) on the bottom of the screen - close to USA. Port Moresby is far away...so the planes can't fly there; they can't be transported to the destination by land either. So the only option is transport ship and so my question is: Where do I get the cargo/transport ship so that I can load the planes on one side of the pacific and off load them on the other side. I have some trnarport ships I believe at Guadan canal unloading troops but that's about it. I have 3 air carrriers and few supply ships which I don't seems to have under my control.

Thanks for your help

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 7
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 6:48:19 PM   
Andy Mac

If they are part of the West Coast command or Australia command they will not transfer as theya re HQ restricted.

Alternatively remember that only AK's or a CV type ship can carry them.

If you have a transport TF in port and it is all AP's it will not allow you to load the airgroup on the Load troops screen.

Must be AK's if a cargo/transport TF or a CV CVE or CVL if an Air combat TF

Andy

Post #: 8
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 7:04:13 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

If they are part of the West Coast command or Australia command they will not transfer as theya re HQ restricted.

Alternatively remember that only AK's or a CV type ship can carry them.

If you have a transport TF in port and it is all AP's it will not allow you to load the airgroup on the Load troops screen.

Must be AK's if a cargo/transport TF or a CV CVE or CVL if an Air combat TF

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have two squadrons of P-39Ds one in Australia (West Coast Command) and one on a island that belongs to U.S. The one I want to transfer is the American one. The only way is to get my transport ship from guadan canal to pick up my planes ? Cause there are no other in the scenario as far as I know.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 9
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 7:11:28 PM   
Drongo

Peter,

You do realise that many of the Allied port bases will contain ships ready for you to use to create TFs?

Do you know how to use the "List all active ships" display (or press 'S')? It has filters that can help in searching for a particular ship type like an AK.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 10
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 7:21:56 PM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

Cause there are no other in the scenario as far as I know.

I gather you are playing one of the small campaigns. That explains why you have so few transports (and a West Coast Unit in Australia)

Whenever you post a question like that it would help if you list:

Version/AI or PBEM/AI Setting if AI/Scenario.

There are huge differences in the answer to your problem depending.

(in reply to Drongo)
Post #: 11
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 8:21:04 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

Cause there are no other in the scenario as far as I know.

I gather you are playing one of the small campaigns. That explains why you have so few transports (and a West Coast Unit in Australia)

Whenever you post a question like that it would help if you list:

Version/AI or PBEM/AI Setting if AI/Scenario.

There are huge differences in the answer to your problem depending.

Beezle,

Yes I'm playing one othe smaller scenarios; I did mention above that I'm playing Scenario 004 - GuadanCanal. However I forgot to mention: WitP 1.21 version, Japanese AI. The only transport ships that I have are currently used in the assault against GuadanCanal bases. So I guess they are my only choice ? Sorry; I'm new to WitP and its kind of wargames including UV. I have finished so far Scenario 002 Coreal Sea twice and I got pretty confortable with it so I'm now moving on to other scenarios before I go for the full campaign. I'm wargaming in Europe - Eastern Front mostly, so Pacific is new to me :)

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 12
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 8:37:03 PM   
DrewMatrix

Moving a unit is a long term project. You have to spend shipping space, time in transit and maybe Political Points (to change the unit from West Coast to some other command). A question you have to consider in one of the shorter scenarios is: Once I get this unit to the new spot, will there be time left in the scenario for it to be of use long enough to be worth the cost?

That is a rhetorical question.

To move the West Coast P-39 group, you need to spend PPs. To move the other unit you need to move by AK and it sounds like you have only one AK. Is that the best use for the AK?

And remember, the IJ commander may have some sneaky plan. Do you really want to denude all your rear area bases and send everything to Guadalcanal?

Post #: 13
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 9:26:30 PM   
Peter Fisla

Thanks for your reply Beezle,

Ok I did a bit more reading on AK (page 96+)...what can I say I'm still greenhorn on the subject of Pacific War.

"To move the West Coast P-39 group, you need to spend PPs. To move the other unit you need to move by AK and it sounds like you have only one AK. Is that the best use for the AK? "

My only one(or two; I'm at work so I can't check) is/are being used on assault at Guadancanal (troops unloaded) so I figure they are "kind of" doing nothing right now and I have a base far south that has 40 P-39Ds doing nothing (Guadancanal and Port Moresby are major targets for this scenario) I could use them very much in Port Moresby. Guadancanal is from August 42 to February 43, so to me yeah it's worth it :) I will try it when I get home tonight.

Thanks for your help!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 14
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/10/2004 10:59:25 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Peter
sorry, don't think the others are seeing what you are saying

yuck, that is a lousy start !

you only show 11 AK's over in OZ, you will have to send one of them over from Brisbane, to get the planes (P-400's ?)

or place them on training, and wait to using them when you go after Lunga

(ah, scen 4 is coral sea, scen 5 is canel ?)

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 15
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/11/2004 1:18:03 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Hi Peter
sorry, don't think the others are seeing what you are saying

yuck, that is a lousy start !

you only show 11 AK's over in OZ, you will have to send one of them over from Brisbane, to get the planes (P-400's ?)

or place them on training, and wait to using them when you go after Lunga

(ah, scen 4 is coral sea, scen 5 is canel ?)

HARD_Sarge

Yeah at Noumea base I have a squadron of P-400s (isn't that a typo ? I didn't know there was a version of air cobra called P-400) and I want to move them to Port Moresby as that base is getting constantly attacked. I have some AKs in Guadancanal which I don't think I need so I will usem them for trnasport :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 16
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/11/2004 1:21:29 AM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

a squadron of P-400s (isn't that a typo ?

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p39_5.html

Post #: 17
RE: How to transfer planes over long distances - 8/11/2004 1:41:16 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

a squadron of P-400s (isn't that a typo ?

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p39_5.html

Cool; thanks Beezle!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How to transfer planes over long distances Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI