Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does bunkering in protect more?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does bunkering in protect more? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does bunkering in protect more? - 2/6/2002 10:53:00 PM   
campekenobi

I noticed when you leave a unit alone for a turn or so they bunker themselves in (circle of sand bags or a trench). Does that actually protect them any more? (as in percentage to be hit is lower). thanks

Post #: 1
- 2/6/2002 11:08:00 PM   
Resisti

what is happening to your units is that,after having been left stationary, not fired against, unseen for a variable # of turns(depending on their ineherent experience), they gain the COVER status (no sand bags around,tough!).
This status it makes them being::
a) harder to be spotted
b)harder to be hit (lower to hit %)

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to campekenobi)
Post #: 2
- 2/6/2002 11:21:00 PM   
challenge

... And if you plan on leaving them in place for awhile, setting the stance to Defend means they look for better cover in the hex giving all the advantages Risisti mentioned.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Post #: 3
- 2/6/2002 11:30:00 PM   
campekenobi

quote:

Originally posted by Challenge:
... And if you plan on leaving them in place for awhile, setting the stance to Defend means they look for better cover in the hex giving all the advantages Risisti mentioned.
"Setting the STANCE?" How do you do THAT??

Post #: 4
- 2/6/2002 11:38:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
Setting stance to defend will give units bonus to digin and op fire when you pay with command and control on. Right click on the unit to go to unit screen, there should be option to change stance there, or you could go to the hq screen.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 5
- 2/6/2002 11:42:00 PM   
Resisti

Click on the Headquarter button ("H").
you'll be displayed with three(I think) smaller buttons for each of your formations.
One of these is the stance button (advance/defend).
But the advantages(and disadvantages) given by the different status are operative only if you play with Command & Control option ON Oh and again, the manual can help you on this,too

Post #: 6
- 2/6/2002 11:48:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti:
what is happening to your units is that,after having been left stationary, not fired against, unseen for a variable # of turns(depending on their ineherent experience), they gain the COVER status (no sand bags around,tough!).

In some environments units in cover status are shown with dots around them. In other environments sandbags are shown. In particular in snow environments sandbags are used. I guess this is because the dots don't show well with some graphics.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 7
- 2/7/2002 1:26:00 AM   
Jackk

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
You can toggle between the advance/defend stances using the "M" key. You will see the stance change in the info box down in the bottom left corner of the screen. P.S. The unit has to be in contact with it's command unit in order for the stance change to work. [ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Jackk ]

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

Post #: 8
- 2/7/2002 2:27:00 PM   
swagman

Bunkering down? I've noticed that some bunkers and emplacements actually have a load figure (eg. japanese gun emplacements). Although I haven't tried, since I am in the midst of battle, does this mean that an infantry unit can be loaded into the bunker? Does an infantry unit benefit if loaded into a bunker?

Post #: 9
- 2/7/2002 4:00:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by swagman:
Does an infantry unit benefit if loaded into a bunker?
Never heard about or been able to "load" an infantry unit inside a bunker. But you can do the contrary, i.e. bail out the bunker crew as you do for tanks or trucks crews.
Not sure but maybe the bunker crew can occupy again the bunker if left stationary and unsuppressed in place,too..

Post #: 10
- 2/7/2002 10:06:00 PM   
Alexandra

Yes, you can bail bunker crews out. And Yes, they later can reman the bunker. And yes, in the meantime, they can retake VHs But, No, you can't take infantry and put them in the bunker. Why? Cause that what the crew there aleady is. An infantry squad or two, in thier own bunker, and there's no room for more
A Proud Fan of the World Champion New England Patriots, Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 11
- 2/8/2002 2:24:00 AM   
challenge

Also, on the stance thing .... If C&C is on (to get the bennefit) it costs a point for a single unit to change. If you change the entire formation (whether it's one unit or a dozen) from the formation 0 unit it costs three C&C points. Important if you're hunkering down all but one squad in a platoon with four squads, mortar and MG teams. Ecerything else that's in color (red, green, yellow) on the unit info window can be changed as well. (Unit range, weapons turned on and off) etc.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does bunkering in protect more? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI