Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Church Steeple height question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Church Steeple height question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Church Steeple height question - 2/13/2002 12:12:00 PM   
David boutwell

Gentlemen, If a Level 3 hill is 30, then what should the elevation of a four to five story church steeple be??? Thanks in advance, David Boutwell

Post #: 1
- 2/13/2002 12:44:00 PM   
tracer

5 stories is about 50-60 ft (10-12ft per story). Since SPWAW map elevations are in yards (meters?) I'd round it off to 20. YMMV

Jim NSB

(in reply to David boutwell)
Post #: 2
- 2/13/2002 3:11:00 PM   
Raptor

I consider any church steeple is guaranteed to contain a sniper or FO. Would knock them down just in case

Nucleus Situm Ex Orbita
Unus Certis Maximus

Post #: 3
- 2/13/2002 8:28:00 PM   
David boutwell

Aaahhh! I forgot! I was giving them elevations in feet, and then I looked at the hill elevations and thought them something was amiss. I knew how tall the steeples were, but thought 50-60 didn't seem right, considering the height of a level 3 hill. Problem solved! And while I was looking.... From my memory, better than 90% of urban European buildings are/were two story, yet the rowhouses have single story elevations, if I'm not mistaken. Now I'm really in trouble. From now on, I'll have to go in and change all elevations on buildings, or are we considering all combat to take place on the first floor elevations of all buildings? And while I'm thinking about it, why does grassy terrain have an elevationof 1, while trees are elevation 0? I'm assuming, after all this time not thinking about it, that as far as the engine is concerned, tree trunks provide not line of sight blockage, and is therefore 0, but the canopy does? Regards, David Boutwell

Post #: 4
- 2/13/2002 10:13:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by David boutwell:

From my memory, better than 90% of urban European buildings are/were two story, yet the rowhouses have single story elevations, if I'm not mistaken. Now I'm really in trouble. From now on, I'll have to go in and change all elevations on buildings, or are we considering all combat to take place on the first floor elevations of all buildings?

From what I have read about the late war fighting in villages, the troops tended to hide in the basement any time they were in a building. I even remember reading troops mentioning that when it was deadly to go outside they used the upper floors as their latrine, keeping the basement clean.
thanks, John.

Post #: 5
- 2/14/2002 12:07:00 AM   
David boutwell

After checking again, I found that the rowhouses have elevations of 10, which translates into something like a three story building. That is a good height, because most of the buildings in the urban/market portion of the older German villages that I saw were easily that tall. David Boutwell

Post #: 6
- 2/14/2002 11:39:00 PM   
RockinHarry

I usually add 5 or 10 meters to any of the churches steeple hexes. Worked fine so far. Would make an overall height of about 15 or 20 meters, not regarding underlying terrain. If hill is level 30 then church steeple is 45 or 50 (..or higher).
Don´t confuse the little 1 or -2 ect. terrain levels, they aren´t! These are terrain class flags only. Only heights with differences of 5 (0-5-10-15-20 ect) do matter. Check my Freds Map Edit document for details. _________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Church Steeple height question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI