Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'd love to play SPWAW - but

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I'd love to play SPWAW - but Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'd love to play SPWAW - but - 2/11/2002 5:49:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

I recently up-graded to V7 from V4.5 but continue to have the same problem of erratic/spasmodic loading of the game. On initial boot-up I seem to have a one in six (or less) chance of the game loading - it just hangs. When it does load it appears to function without problems. I think the problem is one of memory addressing and may be to do with my set-up rather than the game exe file itself. I have tried the obvious ideas - loading from mech.exe and lowering the graphics acceleration without sucess. Mech.exe is ok with the same probability of success as loading via autorun or spwaw.exe. When mech.exe doesn't work it turns my display a beautiful bright blue! I have an 800 amd-duron, sis6326 8mb video card, Soundblaster PC1128 on-board sound and 38MB sdram memory. All other games e.g. PanzerGeneral I and II, People's General, Pacific General etc. work without problems. Panzer General 3D Assault seems to fail to detect the CD with about the same probability of success as SPWAW. Apologies for the length of the messsage. I have tried to give all relevant info.

Post #: 1
- 2/11/2002 6:59:00 PM   
ubertechie

What operating sysem are you running ?
win 95 / 98 / ME, windows 2000, windows XP or something else eg os/2 warp
Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to Eric the Bold)
Post #: 2
- 2/11/2002 9:25:00 PM   
Warhorse

Eric, for ****s and giggles, you might try to download Cacheman, and run that. I have the SB PCI 128 also, and was having some problems before Cacheman!! Worth a shot, eh?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 3
- 2/11/2002 10:17:00 PM   
Larry Holt

38 MB of RAM is pretty low. I don't think 98 even suggest that you run the OS on that little. Perhaps more RAM would help.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 4
- 2/11/2002 10:55:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
38 MB of RAM is pretty low. I don't think 98 even suggest that you run the OS on that little. Perhaps more RAM would help.
Hi Larry. Thanks for the reply. Typographical error - I have 384MB of memory! Regards

Post #: 5
- 2/11/2002 10:57:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Originally posted by ubertechie:
What operating sysem are you running ?
win 95 / 98 / ME, windows 2000, windows XP or something else eg os/2 warp
Cheers Ubertechie

Thanks for the reply OS is Win98 SE Eric the Bold

Post #: 6
- 2/11/2002 11:05:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse:
Eric, for ****s and giggles, you might try to download Cacheman, and run that. I have the SB PCI 128 also, and was having some problems before Cacheman!! Worth a shot, eh?
Hi Mike. Thanks for the siggestion - I do in fact run cacheman. My OS is Win98 SE and having earlier this pm re-booted for the umpteenth time SPWAW is running perfectly. There's nothing worse than an intermittent problem. At least when it won't work at all you know where you stand Eric the Bold

Post #: 7
- 2/11/2002 11:33:00 PM   
Bing

ERic - If you have a Via BIOS there have been issues. Might require a BIOS fix - worth looking into if you have one. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 8
- 2/12/2002 3:43:00 AM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
ERic - If you have a Via BIOS there have been issues. Might require a BIOS fix - worth looking into if you have one. Bing
Thanks for the suggestion Bing. Bios is AMI. As of tis momemt SPWAW is up and running! Eric

Post #: 9
- 2/12/2002 3:56:00 AM   
Bing

You might also have one or more corrupted DLL's. With your system, a reinstallation of Win98 would not take very long to do. I do this every three to six months. Others swear they never have to do it, I say maybe they don't install and uninstall a lot of apps. I do. Aside from DLL problems, there are the vxd drivers Win98 programmers forgot to include. If you have never heard of this, drop me a private e-mail and I"ll send you a text file. The text is not long, but I don't think I should post it here, unless I get permission. Applies to Win98 and WIn98SE, which a number of us continue to run. The reason I mention the vxd driver issue is that sudden crashes to desktop have been traced to the half sozen or so vxd drivers that ought to be there but aren't. They are general, not video card specific or anything like that. Frankly, the older the application apparently the more likely this can be a source of trouble. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

Post #: 10
- 2/14/2002 5:52:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

You might also have one or more corrupted DLL's. With your system, a reinstallation of Win98 would not take very long to do. I do this every three to six months. Others swear they never have to do it, I say maybe they don't install and uninstall a lot of apps. I do. Aside from DLL problems, there are the vxd drivers Win98 programmers forgot to include. If you have never heard of this, drop me a private e-mail and I"ll send you a text file. The text is not long, but I don't think I should post it here, unless I get permission. Applies to Win98 and WIn98SE, which a number of us continue to run. The reason I mention the vxd driver issue is that sudden crashes to desktop have been traced to the half sozen or so vxd drivers that ought to be there but aren't. They are general, not video card specific or anything like that. Frankly, the older the application apparently the more likely this can be a source of trouble. Bing
[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Eric the Bold ]

Post #: 11
- 2/14/2002 6:51:00 PM   
Supervisor

Eric I didn't catch what DirectX version you are running. The game requires 6.1a and if I'm not mistaken Win 98SE loads 6.0

Post #: 12
- 2/14/2002 8:58:00 PM   
Bing

Eric - I see you quoted my message in full - but nothing from yourself appears. Was there something you wanted to say about the vxd drivers? The drivers are on the Win98 disk, they are ignored by the installation routine and need to be extracted from the disk and installed. I think they have helped me and I know others too. W@W being an older app might benefit by having them available. DirectX 8.1 is current (official)and can be downloaded from the Microsoft website. MIght as well have the most recent version, already thee are apps that require 8.1 or at least 8.0. Bing

Post #: 13
- 2/15/2002 6:19:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Originally posted by gmenfan:
Eric I didn't catch what DirectX version you are running. The game requires 6.1a and if I'm not mistaken Win 98SE loads 6.0
Hi gmenfan - I'm running Directx 8.0. The problem continues with about a 30% chance of the game loading first time. Eric

Post #: 14
- 2/15/2002 6:28:00 PM   
Eric the Bold

quote:

Eric - I see you quoted my message in full - but nothing from yourself appears. Was there something you wanted to say about the vxd drivers? The drivers are on the Win98 disk, they are ignored by the installation routine and need to be extracted from the disk and installed. I think they have helped me and I know others too. W@W being an older app might benefit by having them available. DirectX 8.1 is current (official)and can be downloaded from the Microsoft website. MIght as well have the most recent version, already thee are apps that require 8.1 or at least 8.0. Bing
Hi Bing. Sorry about the message. I drafted a reply, then tried to edit it but I obviously did something wrong as your original message got re-sent. I ran sfc.exe which found and replaced one dll - can't remember which one but I don't think it was relevant to my problem. I am running DirectX 8.0 at present,
Was interested in the text file re vxd drivers if you would kindly send it - private e-mail is eric@two-trees.org. So far I have been sucessful in running SPWAW 1 out of 3 last boot-ups. A couple of days ago I discovered SPWW2V5 which appears to be a free version of Steel Panthers2 modified with the permission of SSI. It is of course a dos version and therefore not quite upto SPWAW but at least it runs evertime! Regards Eric

Post #: 15
- 2/15/2002 9:42:00 PM   
Bing

Eric - You have mail. Bing

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I'd love to play SPWAW - but Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI