Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Korsun Pocket for new players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket for new players? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 5:40:34 AM   
Spin Doctor

Well, I picked up Korsun Pocket and after having come from a tactical wargame game background (Combat Mission, mainly) I've found the battalion sized battles totally confusing.

I suppose the main problem to me is that this game manual does not supply nearly enough information to the new user concerning tactics, strategy and just the basic mechanics of large battles. Basically, through trial and error I've figured out that you attack with tanks and defend with infantry. Pretty obvious wargame stuff, but sometimes it's good to be told the obvious if you're new to a genre. Every flight sim has a chapter on basic flight mechanics, explaining how a plane flies and if you're familiar with flight sims, it's not really necessary to read that stuff. But if you never have, then it becomes mandatory.

Likewise, I've never commanded a batallion of tanks, a division of infantry and had them scattered all over the map and then been required to coordinate all this into a fighting force. So cut the newbies a break.

If Matrix game's intent is to just keep selling the game to people who have already bought it, then fine... You've got that sewed up. If your intent is to expand your market, then you really need to get better at letting people know what's going on. I guess the developers have been dong this wargame so long they forget that everyone doesn't know the basic stuff.

I certainly don't want the game dumbed down, but there is a very clear reason why retailers are sticking this in the bargin bins and simply refusing to re-order the game. It's really just so obtuse for new players that most will just quit in frustration.

How tough would it have been to explain what an order of battle is, how batallions and divisions coordinate and fight or when to attack and retreat? Really, the only reason that I finally managed to eek out a marginal victory against the AI is from reading this forum, but not everyone is gonna do that.

I believe better tutorials and better strategy information shoudl be included with the manual. And be sure to put it in the game guide where it will be accessable, not on the PDF file.
Post #: 1
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 6:16:39 AM   
JSS

Spin Doc:

Recommend you browse the Run5 section of SSG http://www.ssg.com.au.

Check out the game AARs (there's a great Across the Dnepr AAR, some good Ardennes Offensive (TAO3) AAR's, and the on going Battles in Normandy AAR.

Check out the Run5 discussion board for recommended reading. Lots of good books and links to online reading materials.

JSS

< Message edited by JSS -- 8/10/2004 1:17:10 PM >

(in reply to Spin Doctor)
Post #: 2
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 5:22:09 PM   
Rainbow7

I have trouble being completely sympathetic to your arguments because I found the tutorial manual that came with Korsun absolutely fantastic. They taught me almost all the basics needed to play the game. The pdf full manual filled in most of the missing information. And reading posts over at run5 (including the articles posted by players) raised my game to ... well, not great heights, because I'm still a bad player, but certainly new heights.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 3
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 7:52:33 PM   
Spin Doctor

After having played with the game off and on for about a week I think I have the basics down, if not the subtlties. But my post was speaking for the individuals who may not have a copy of "German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front" lying around. I do happen to have a copy of that book and never understood it until I got this game, so I suppose that's a good thing. I also have "Panzer Leader" on order.

Therefore, I wasn't asking for anyone's sympathy. I was only stating my opinion as to one possible reason why I found this interesting but somewhat inaccessable game in the bargin bin for $4.99 USD.

So rather than see Matrix games run from the retailers as they are planning, I 'think' that a bit more information and accessability might help their sales...I dunno. I guess I just hate to see good games and hard work get shafted. Doesn't matter much at this point anyway. But, at any rate, I'm gonna learn and master this game mainly for my own knowledge.

BTW, JSS, thanks for the information.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 4
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 8:05:44 PM   
freeboy

Tough to call as ad money and shelf space go hand in hand... and when we pay 50.00 or whatever retail it is significantly less to the publisher than 50.00 spent at the Matrix. So if these titles fade out, it will be due to consumers taste in mass market games... look at your local software stores... they sell 100 to 1 ratio of xbox stuff. Battlefront and Hps are going the direct route too, and I check reviews often, picked up Sparten that way to fill in while waiting for witp. Korson is a fun, and different game engine.. and the next release BIN should up the ante for a reletively quick, highly replayable game.

Did you know that there are lots of user made scenarios... There is also a ladder pbem system and lots of tournement play if that is your thing... good luck with the manual...
I do agree it can be a challenge...

< Message edited by freeboy -- 8/11/2004 2:06:38 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 9:17:07 PM   
BossGnome

the manual was horrible. It took me two days to do all the tutorial, and even then i was sorta confused... the most annoying thing for me was to figure out what the heck "steps" were, and what a1-d1r in green meant. The manual explains some stuff in too much detail (like all the terrain crts), and skips over a few basic stuff.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/10/2004 10:13:12 PM   
Rainbow7

Yeah, sorry, I didn't actually mean to imply that you were looking for sympathy.

Korsun Pocket, however, was extremely well received by almost all game reviewers, calling it one of the (if not the) best turn-based war titles out there. I don't think many people would agree that Korsun is inaccessible or that it is being "shafted". Here in Montreal it is still selling and taking space on the main shelves, which is pretty good given that it's been out for quite some time and is perceived as a niche-title.

The tutorial manual is short and to the point, but the second game manual has an entire section on the history of the battle as well; I'm not sure what more you would want. For deep strategy, I don't know any strategy title that gives much information in the manual - my experience is that you always have to go to the forums to discuss things with the community that plays the game. That's why the forum exists here and even more to the point, that's why the Run5 site exists.

Post #: 7
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/11/2004 7:02:55 PM   
Spin Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

...and the next release BIN should up the ante for a reletively quick, highly replayable game.

Hi freeboy, I was just wondering about the comment about BIN being quick and replayable. How is it going to be different than KP? As it stands, I'm lucky to do a few turns a night with KP and once a scenario is done, it really doesn't look like it's all that replayable.

Maybe I'm missing something?

-------

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/11/2004 8:14:55 PM   
pterrok

quote:

Maybe I'm missing something?

Yep--play by email!

Head on over to the offical ssg site (http://ssg.com.au) and under the Run5 menu you can sign up for the PBEM ladder.

You may still only play 2 or 3 turns a night, but they'll be in different games against humans--and the amount of variety I've seen in the approaches to the same scenario is simply astounding!

Post #: 9
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/11/2004 8:15:44 PM   
Rainbow7

Many of the players found over at the Run5 site are either grognards or history buffs (or both). My guess is that they like to try historical strategies, and then improve on them, and then try completely ahistorical approaches, etc. Also, playing against a human via pbem is really entirely different than playing the a.i. The only scenario I've yet to repeat, though, is the Rommel-Master of Battle scenario, but that's only because I'm in a tournament. I do, however, plan to revisit some of the original scenarios in time. I think improving on a past result is part of the struggle (re: fun?).

< Message edited by Rainbow -- 8/11/2004 1:17:21 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/12/2004 2:41:15 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spin Doctor

Well, I picked up Korsun Pocket and after having come from a tactical wargame game background (Combat Mission, mainly) I've found the battalion sized battles totally confusing.

I suppose the main problem to me is that this game manual does not supply nearly enough information to the new user concerning tactics, strategy and just the basic mechanics of large battles. Basically, through trial and error I've figured out that you attack with tanks and defend with infantry. Pretty obvious wargame stuff, but sometimes it's good to be told the obvious if you're new to a genre. Every flight sim has a chapter on basic flight mechanics, explaining how a plane flies and if you're familiar with flight sims, it's not really necessary to read that stuff. But if you never have, then it becomes mandatory.

How tough would it have been to explain what an order of battle is, how batallions and divisions coordinate and fight or when to attack and retreat? Really, the only reason that I finally managed to eek out a marginal victory against the AI is from reading this forum, but not everyone is gonna do that.

I believe better tutorials and better strategy information shoudl be included with the manual. And be sure to put it in the game guide where it will be accessable, not on the PDF file.

This problem has been with us since we started doing wargames, and its not going to go away. The analogy you draw with flight sims is not really accurate, because most people, through exposure to movies and other games have at least a vague idea on what to do with a joystick, but it's entirely possible to come to a wargame with absolutely no idea of the background and procedures that the games (not just ours) have in common.

Ideally, we would produce a massive beginners guide that explained absolutely everything, running as an interactive tutorial, but we simply don't have the time or money to that.

So we do the best we can. Our website, and the Run 5 discussion forums are by far the best way to fill in gaps in your knowledge and if newbies who know nothing about the game genre can't or won't check that out, then there's not much we can do.

BTW, any and all deficiencies in the game are down to us at SSG as the developers, not to Matrix, who are the Publishers.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

Post #: 11
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/13/2004 6:41:06 PM   
Real and Simulated Wars

Korsun Pocket: difficult to get into when you never tried something similar... impossible to get out of when you achieve some proficiency.
Some nights I go to bed completely irated against the AI Russians at AtD. So hard to get a victory! I will never play this game again! But always I find myself reloading the game, in the search for that elusive victory.
Cheers,

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 12
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/27/2004 12:33:37 AM   
marc420

Hi,

I'm probably not the person to try to respond to this, because I've been playing games at this scale since before the PC was invented (old AH titles like Battle of the Bulge and Afrika Korps might ring a bell to old hands).

So, I wasn't iniatially confused with this game. I did have at least a general idea of how to approach it. However I'll be glad to add a few suggestions.

1) Someone mentioned the AARs both here and at Run5. Those are fun reading, at least to me. And they should give you an excellent idea of how a game progresses.

2) These tend to be some of the friendliest forums I've encountered. Especially the one's over at Run5. Feel free to ask questions and I'd bet you get some friendly help

3) Take one of the smaller scenarios and start playing it against the AI. At first you'll make mistakes. But you'll see how the AI hurts you for those mistakes. And then it'll start to be obvious of how not to do that again.

4) Most of the action happens at the scale of a few kms, and maybe 1 division, maybe several involved in an attack. Scaling from a big Combat Mission battle up to that scale is a jump, but not that big of a jump. So maybe look at some defenders and think how you'd like to attack them in CM. Do you want one big force coming up the road in a bunch or a column, or would you want your attackers to attack from various directions (ie the flanks)? To me, I'd rather have groups attacking from different directions in CM, and KP gives an attack bonus for attacking from more hexes. In CM, do you want artillery support for your attack. In KP, you get attack bonuses for artillery in range and committed to the attack. In those ways, KP does scale from CM, in that some of the same principles apply.

5) Since the CRT is probably a new concept to a CM player, KP gives a nice representation of this at the bottom when you launch an attack. At first, the only unit attacking is the selected unit, so the odds probably look bad. But here's what I do. I hit the "Max" button. That throws every adjacent unit, every artillery within range (up to a limit of usually 4), and any extra modifiers you have like leadership or airpower. So after you hit Max you are seeing your best possible attack for units you've got there now. After that, I usually start backing factors out of the attack, like I may want to save airpower and artillery for later.

6) The battle is then abstractly resolved. A day's worth of battle between divisions is resolved with a throw of a dice. This will result in steps being lost on each side (maybe) and maybe a retreat for the defenders.

7) Overruns are important. Generally a unit gets one attack per turn. Overruns are the exception to this. A successful overrun leaves the attackers still eligible for more attacks. So on the attack you can use this to launch multiple attacks on a defender or defenders and shatter a line. On defense you want to try to make your units overrun proof.

Mainly just get in and give it a try. Try it first against the AI just to get a feel for it, and because its easy and quick. Then when the AI's no longer a challenge, give a PBEM game a try.

The basics of this game aren't too hard to learn. Then you'll discover the game is subtle in many ways. I'm currently losing my first PBEM game as part of Run5's Wolf tournament. And I'm losing not because my opponent completely stopped the German attacks. No, I'm far to the east side of the board with a strong army left. But I'm losing because of some subtleties of the Victory Point system that my opponent did a very nice job of exploiting.

As such, this scenario we are playing looks VERY replayable again because I both want to see if I can do a better job as the Germans against this subtle strategy that's just defeated me, and also because at some point I want to play the Russians to see if I can do to someone else what was just done to me.

In fact, in many ways a scenario of this game is more replayable (in my own opinion) than a CM scenario, as the options available to each player are greater.

Note also that there are additional scenarios avaialble beyond the 5 or 6 that come with KP. There's the Across the Dnepr expansion pack that simulates the summer of 41 and Guderian's drive towards Smolensk, and there are other user created scenarios up on the Run5 site. For instance, there's a notice on these boards today that a revised scenario for Operation Husky in Scily is now avaiable.

To me, I've been playing games like this for 30 years. And to me, this is about my favorite scale of play. I own CM, and need to fire it back up again. And I've played the Squad Leader - Steel Panthers - CM scale over the years. But to me this big "operational" scale is my favorite. That may be just me, but to me there's a lot worth exploring at this level.

PS -- Keep exploring these forums and the Run5 forums when they come back up Sept 1 (bandwidth issues right now). There's a lot of detailed information, especially from Pterrok on the odds of attacks and effective ways of making attacks to achieve the results you want. This game is subtle, and the most effective means of attacking may not be the most obvious. But that's war, right?

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

Post #: 13
RE: Korsun Pocket for new players? - 8/27/2004 12:47:31 AM   
marc420

When to attack: When there's more of you than them.

When to retreat: When there's more of them than you.

BTW, if you feel like doing some reading, try an author named BDH Liddel Hart. He's a British officer who was around in the time between the wars when tank/mobile tactics were being developed. His writing both before and after WWII is very interesting reading.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket for new players? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI