Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help a rookie!!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help a rookie!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help a rookie!!!! - 2/23/2002 10:25:00 PM   
serparlak

I need a detailed resource for learning tactics and advnaced playing. Help me please. I just joined this group. Thanks.

serparlak
Post #: 1
- 2/23/2002 10:29:00 PM   
Bing

You can start with the tutorials included with the game. Then you can go to Fabio's website: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm and from there download many assets. These are just a start. Hang out here on the forum and you will learn a lot about W@W. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 2
- 2/23/2002 10:35:00 PM   
serparlak

Thank you for your reply Bing. I'll take a look.

serparlak

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 3
- 2/24/2002 4:37:00 AM   
Lost Lieutenant

Tactics in general, or just SPWAW tactics?

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 4
- 2/24/2002 5:51:00 AM   
Wild Bill

take it a step at a time, Serperiak... 1. Learn how to move and shoot. The tutorial will help you here. Don't worry about points at this juncture. Just play. Get a feel for the game. Then begin to think about what units do what and what they do best. Read the tactics tutorial Bing has suggested. Much of the learning experience will come by playing. The more you play, the more proficient you will become. Any quewstions, post 'em here. We got some real pros prowling around... Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 5
- 2/24/2002 7:20:00 AM   
Belisarius

Oooh.. Bill.. which gives raise to (yet) another q: (a continous rant today, I'm afraid ) Have you 'old' players learned to predict visibility BEFORE moving units?? As it is, I move squads only to find out that they're in an uphill/downhill slope/wineyard/grassy field/whatever, and have their LOS reduces to two or three hexes, instead of 10+ as I was expecting. OK, I easily can see that I can use wineyards etc. to sneak through, but these hills make me crazy. Sometimes you see A LOT once over the crest, sometimes you don't see squat? (not due to limited visibility or smoke, just terrain) As a dedicated GE player, due to NEVER EVER having good LOS in scenarios, I don't like having panzer's around I'm getting darn good at using infantry & arty in combination, but I feel panzer's being more of a burden than a relief. They can't see **** until 2-3 hexes away, and at that range an ordinary rifle squad is just as good. Can anyone point me to some scenarios where I actually can use Blitzkrieg tactics? As it is now, I ONLY use panzers for backing up infantry. I now darn well how to manouver to use them en masse, but I still have to see a scenario where I can make use of it? To the point: Scenarios (pick any!) often have a VERY reduced visibility? I don't like it, playing a force that mostly has an advantage at distances. Ofcourse it gives a more 'balanced' gameplay - but it doesn't feel real. We read time and time again of Pz's knocking out enemies at 800m+, even for early war years. In '44 and '45 you'll see 2000 m as a not uncommon kill distance, even against 34's?! So why can I seldom see more than 3-400 m? Balanced - maybe. Frustrating - yes. Fog of war, OK, but why can't I use the tactics the GE's were good at? Can I fight somewhere where I'm not in a haze? (except designing it myself that is )

Got StuG?

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 6
- 2/24/2002 8:10:00 AM   
Bing

Belasaruis: Give Bill's "Watchword Freedom" a try. You get to choose the tanks you want and shoot up the Ivans at very satisfying long ranges. Lots of fun, just don't ever trust Bill on the issue of mines. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 7
- 2/25/2002 12:37:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Bing speaks from personal experience! Don't you just hate mines? How goes your jungle oddysey, Bing? Any better luck this time around? WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 8
- 2/25/2002 1:33:00 AM   
Bing

Mines? What mines? I went to heaven via shooting up an ammo dump while I was in the target hex. Sure makes a nice animation and sound, though. So you are home? Does Beth know about this? I've been pounding on Ivans whilst you were away, but at least it is a summer operation and I am not freezing my Heinie heinie in the dead of Mother Russia winter. You may have noticed, a deconverted German truck driver stole one of only two of my 80 mm mortars and wouldn't give it back. That's OK, I lost the battle without him. Then I went on to the next battle, requested air support and sure enough it was subject to HQ approval: I got none. After all I have done for OKB you would think they would treat me better. Like we used to say, I think I am not getting enough sleep in the right places. No respeckk I get no respeck ..... OK, I'll do some more Guading and let you know. Good to have you home again, Bing

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 9
- 2/25/2002 7:21:00 AM   
Thomas D Curry

I can give you sevarl basic tatics. 1) Scouts tell you much. 2)Use 1-2 squads to pin a unit in place then my a different unit up to CA them (works all the time in operatrion watchtower. 3)tTanks are still called lead magnets. Use them to draw fire while moving up infantry. Also try and pratice predicting where the enemy will be and you can learn to do ToT that is time on target. There is much more but this should be sufficent to keep you busy for quite some time.

You can lead a man to knowledge but you can not make him think.
Tom Curry

(in reply to serparlak)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help a rookie!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI