Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie saying Hi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie saying Hi Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie saying Hi - 2/26/2002 6:43:00 AM   
Commander Reno

Hello all. I downloaded the game and patched up to 7.0 on saturday and that was it for my weekend heh. I have to say this is the greatest PC war game I have ever played. But I need some help. I played through the tutorials and have a basic grasp of the game commands. Then I started a campaign as the germans and swept through the first battles with ease. Then I bogged down because my core army didnt have enough or all the units I needed to be successful on the field of battle. I need help with what units should make up my core army. Such has how many infantry units should I have for every tank. How many engineers, artillery, mortars, heavy machine guns and other support units should I have in my core army. Any help would be appreciated. And thanks in advance.

Post #: 1
- 2/26/2002 7:38:00 AM   
Lost Lieutenant

I'll repeat what seems to have become a catchphrase in the US Army: "It's METT-TC (Mission-Enemy-Terrain-Troops-Time-Civilians) dependent"; meaning that your choices are always going to be situationally dependent. You'll definitely need a good balance of troops - but sometimes the scales shift depending on the conditions you are facing. Here's an example of a core force I am currently using in Watchword Freedom. Infantry:
1 Pioneer Company
3 Flampanzer III Armor:
6 Tiger-I
5 Panther A Recon:
4 T-34 (m.43)
3 SF Squads
3 Panzerschrecks Artillery:
3 Wespes
3 Mortar Carriers Here's where METT-TC comes in. Mission: were I conducting an ambush, I'd prolly take more infantry. Enemy/Terrain: if he had more tanks and the ground was more open, I'd take more tanks. If heavily vegetated/urbanized, more infantry. If he has more infantry, I'd take more artillery and flampanzers instead of tanks. Troops: always plan using what resources you have, i.e. play to your strengths. Time: Make sure your plan allows you to seize all those objectives before the scenario ends! Civilians: doesn't really factor into this game. Some general tips: 1) get a feel for the game by playing scenarios before diving into campaigns. 2) when playing campaigns, use your reinforcement points to buy recon and infantry. Let the reinforcements take the most punishment, so that you preserve your core force. IRL this is a reprehensible thing to do, but hey, its just a game. 3) Don't buy the most expensive equipment (Jadgpanthers, Tigers, Hummels, etc) at first - start cheap and uprgrade using the "change" option after you a battle in which you have take light losses. 4) Remember that the Recon-Counterrecon fight is the most important fight of any battle! If you weight your recon element just right, you'll be able to crush your enemies' recon and maintain the initiative. (Notice my recon element has 4 fast but well-armed tanks in it!) Btw, is that Cape Girardeau, Missouri?

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

(in reply to Commander Reno)
Post #: 2
- 2/26/2002 10:17:00 AM   
Commander Reno

Yes it is Cape Girardeau,MO. So you are familar with this little part of the country? I am a long time resident, been here for 32 years. Thanks for the tips. I will work with more scenarios before taking up the campaign again.

Post #: 3
- 2/26/2002 11:34:00 AM   
Lost Lieutenant

Yeah, I live across the state from you (and then a little into Jayhawker territory). I go to the Uni of Kansas, Lawrence. Rock Chalk Jayhawk,

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

Post #: 4
- 2/26/2002 7:54:00 PM   
Warrior

Welcome, Commander, glad to have you aboard.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie saying Hi Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI