Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Review pages for Strategy and War Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Review pages for Strategy and War Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/1/2004 8:14:33 PM   
BigDuke66

I'm searching for good review pages that focus on strategy and war games.
I have a bunch of good allround pages but most of them have just the wrong attitude for reviewing hardcore wargames.

Post #: 1
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/1/2004 8:27:00 PM   
Kevinugly

Your first stop has to be www.wargamer.com - if that doesn't 'float your boat' then you can ask around their forums as well.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/2/2004 12:20:01 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Opinions are like butt holes, we all have one hehe.

Reviews at Wargamer come from guys that in the end are just wargamers like us.

What makes a reviewer special, absolutely nothing.

Best I can do is offer you some urls to locations where you can find yet more of "us" that being hard care wargamers.

Wargamer reviews are just the beginning.

Warfare HQ
http://www.war-forums.com/forums/
Which is also home of ArmChair General Magazine forums by the way.

The net is crawling with good sources of opinion though.

There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 3
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/2/2004 12:27:18 AM   
Kevinugly

Warfare is a good site, www.grognard.com has merit as does www.wargamesdirectory.com - I think that Wargamer is a good starting point due to its accessibility.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/3/2004 6:34:54 AM   
ravinhood

The best place I go for many reviews and comments is Gamerankings.com

Here you get reviews from socalled professionals, amateur reviewers (mostly european) and player reviews.

I'm kinda like the above poster though and opinion is like a butt hole and only the owner really cares about it.

I've seen some one sided biased reviews out of sites I trusted and I have to include wargamer.com on this on with the Rome Total War review, you really have to play this game for a bit to see all the FLAWS and faults it has and it's totally a change from the previous TW games, but, that's just my "opinion" (butt hole) lol

Gamerankings.com even has a catagory 1st to 200th best to worst games of each catagory or overall game by type and system, they have console reviews as well as pc. It's my number one stop most of the time for a good picture of any game released, since I now "rarely" rush out and buy any game retail anymore, but, I have to confess "The Sims 2" got me. heh It's a wonderful game and there's some "strategy" and "tactical" elements in it I like, try keeping 30 girlfriends at one time without getting caught, it's as challenging as any wargame trying to do this. lol Raising 10 children before you die, that's one I think I'll pass on. haha It's not for everyone, but, I'm enjoying it, since RTW was such a big let down.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 5
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/3/2004 7:19:01 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I've seen some one sided biased reviews out of sites I trusted and I have to include wargamer.com on this on with the Rome Total War review, you really have to play this game for a bit to see all the FLAWS and faults it has and it's totally a change from the previous TW games, but, that's just my "opinion" (butt hole) lol

I think I'll steer clear of the "butt hole" analogy...a little too anal for me, butt....

I was just about to buy Rome:Total War. You're the first I've heard any negative remarks from. How about doing the rest of us a favor and elaborate on those flaws and faults. I certainly don't want to buy it if it's not what it's supposed to be. I'd very much appreciate it if you can keep me from throwing away forty-nine bucks.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/3/2004 2:43:13 PM   
wodin

Ive heard a lot of people complaining that RTW is a dumbed down version of the other games.

Many grognards are unhappy with it.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 7
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/3/2004 4:56:34 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Ive heard a lot of people complaining that RTW is a dumbed down version of the other games.

Many grognards are unhappy with it.

Given that most 'grognards' quake at the prospect of such heresies as '3D graphics', 'real-time gameplay' and, horror of horrors, NO HEXES!! I'm not surprised.

I've got no intention of buying the game at present since I'm still ploughing through the first two games. Once they're out of the way then I'll be in the market for RTW.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 12:31:07 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

I think I'll steer clear of the "butt hole" analogy...a little too anal for me, butt....

I was just about to buy Rome:Total War. You're the first I've heard any negative remarks from. How about doing the rest of us a favor and elaborate on those flaws and faults. I certainly don't want to buy it if it's not what it's supposed to be. I'd very much appreciate it if you can keep me from throwing away forty-nine bucks.

Well Dave it's a complete turn from the origional two titles. If you really like strategy and tactics and "REASONABLE" rts battles, then MTW/STW were pretty good games. The AI is lacking in all the versions though, but, on the highest difficulties it was challenging enough to enjoy for a few games.

The flaws are "speed" that mostly turned me off to RTW, the speed of the battles, the speed of death, the speed of routing, it made RTW feel more like a pure RTS game than it's predecessors MTW/STW where you had time to maneuver, move from ridge to ridge, use terrain to your advantage (computer ai also), wherein RTW it's just like a slam everything into everything and hope you have an extra unit for flanking, if you do, you win. The flanking is just too overpowering and non-historically accurate rediculous I think. One unit can rout a whole army just going down the flank, and they rout so fast it only takes a few SECONDS, whereas in MTW it took many minutes ( I had 45 minute battles sometimes) to win or lose a battle. The calvary are so over-powered a charge can destroy a whole unit within miliseconds, elephants also, and wardogs, lol, just make an army of wardogs and you can own the whole map with hardly any casualties.

Players are winning battles against 100's with 40 men, that's how rediculous RTW is. Also, now if you like "micromanagement" vs "battles" well RTW is more of that this time around, but, it's tedious and frustrating micromanagement, moreso than fun. 70% micromanagement, 30% battles in which maybe 5% is field battles and 95% is sieges, which are pretty simple and rediculous also against the AI.

All you really have to do is goto the official site totalwar.com and then to the forums for Rome Total War and just look at that bug and patch list, it's well past 40 now and more rolling in everyday. Now, I'm an ole vet of MTW and I remember we only got ONE patch for it, so I wouldn't expect much out of the RTW patch, in several months, because they just don't really support their games as they should. I'm starting to give them the ole PARADOX eye now, their games had been fairly decent out of the box, but, this one is pretty pretty bad and there's plenty of crashes to desktops, and game lockups and just overall gameplay issues with RTW.

Personally, if I were you, and I'm doing this myself, wait 6 months to a year on this one and get it off ebay or amazon.com for less than $20. I got hands on play over at a friend of mines house who is a fanatic (younger than I am) that goes out and buys a game before he even reads the reviews or forums. I got enough play time to see "quickly" RTW was horrible compared to STW/MTW. It's for the rts kiddie clickfest crowd and it's coming out on the x-box, so that sort of confirms the customer base Activision is interested in now, they no longer care about us vets or grogs, just like so many other game companines these days.

Matrix/HPS/Shrapnel and those guys that did "Galactic Civilization" are about all we have left now for decent ADULT wargames anymore. You'd be much better off waiting on "TIN SOLDIERS" from Matrix than wasting your money on RTW right now.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 9
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 12:47:48 AM   
Kevinugly

quote:

It's for the rts kiddie clickfest crowd and it's coming out on the x-box, so that sort of confirms the customer base Activision is interested in now, they no longer care about us vets or grogs, just like so many other game companines these days.

Where did you get the information that it's coming out on Xbox?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 12:49:29 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

All you really have to do is goto the official site totalwar.com and then to the forums for Rome Total War and just look at that bug and patch list, it's well past 40 now and more rolling in everyday. Now, I'm an ole vet of MTW and I remember we only got ONE patch for it,

Don't forget the patch we had to pay for: Viking Invasions.

Could you go into some detail on the strategic game, and whether any of the realism mods make a difference to the game? It's been your past praise of M/TW and criticism of this one which has put me off from buying it, are there any redeeming qualities?

quote:

Matrix/HPS/Shrapnel and those guys that did "Galactic Civilization" are about all we have left now for decent ADULT wargames anymore. You'd be much better off waiting on "TIN SOLDIERS" from Matrix than wasting your money on RTW right now.

Well I never thought M/TW was a game in the same league as realistic games, but I had a lot of fun with it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 4:42:48 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ravinhood

Thanks ravenhood. That is sufficient info to cause me to hold off for a bit more study on this game. I was so taken with the graphics on the History channel's Ancient Battles series that I was convinced I wanted the game. Haste makes waste as they say so I think I'll take your advice and hold off a bit. You just may have saved me some dissapointment.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 9:04:22 PM   
ravinhood

Give the modders some time (Wes for sure) and I think some of them can come up with some changes to improve some of the gameplay features. Wes did a pretty good job creating a mod that intensified the AI performance over vanilla MTW.

The strategic game plays out much like a HOMM, there are no longer individual province movements, but, individual unit movements (each army has a certain amount of movement points based on it's makeup, much like your movement is that of the slowest unit, etc.) moves are up to 4 spaces as far as I've seen with my army makeups. There are no longer massive religious, diplomatic or spy/assassin pawns on the map, this has been reduced down to next to nothing as well. In fact there are no princess or religious icons pawns at all, they abstracted these in RTW. Costs/Upkeep of units and pawns has increased to cut down on the amount of units on the strategic map as well.

You find yourself fighting for money and "population" in the early game and in the late game you end up having to "kill" your population or suffer revolt after revolt because of a feature called "squalor". Now, I like squalor, but, without knowing about it the first time around, in the middle to end game it can kill you. You have to get ahold of it at the very beginning of the game, you have to "baby" grow your populations and income, if you try to play like "everything comes easy" type of micromanagement game, you'll find yourself putting down revolt after revolt in the middle to late game. Think of squalor like corruption in Civilization, caused by overpopulation. I feel that squalor is RTW's end game province revolts of MTW, just built around a different system. You not only have to centralize your capitol, but, you have to deal with population "explosions" as well.

Don't expect "massive" amounts of armies, they have built this game around a "few" marching armies and the rest end up just sitting in a city waiting to defend it, so that is why there are more siege battles this time around than before. The ai is horrible for defending during sieges except on the very hard/very hard difficulty and that's only because of those initial resources (cheats/handicaps/advantages) they get at the beginning. In MTW well you could have unlimited armies, but, in RTW, the income and with that squalor, you have to play a "balance" game all around. Garrisons of Peasants won't do it for you in RTW like in MTW, and that is one of the other good things. But, Peasants can kill you on very hard/very hard and that is a funny bad thing. It's quite a shame that on higher difficulties they can't tell the AI to build "better" units, nooooooo, they just give the worst units that the ai STILL builds all to often, more morale bonuses, so you end up playing against the same army composition you did on normal level, except this time the army has tweaks, bonuses and everything else that it takes a horde to defeat it.

The graphics can draw a person in easily, the strategic map is every bit as colorful as the SPARTAN map, but, only two turns per year (seasons) is to me a little out of whack, you have summer and then winter every other turn, you end up fighting one turn and resting one turn or deal with weather penalties if you fight in the winter.

Personally I'm going to wait on the first patch and read the forums afterwards, and the see what kind of AI mods hit the boards, right now people are just throwing anything and everything out there without really any "testing" of their actions. I hope that Wes makes something as useful as he did with MTW. Though a couple of useful ones are eliminating the "must play romans first" feature and a workaround the battle timer feature that this time they did not put the option in the game for, and removing the horrible looking green arrows out from under the units bases when you are moving them. In fact, someone found a whole mile long list of "options" (in one of the folders files) they had been working on for RTW and decided to leave out. This list is monsterous, but, those options would have made the game much better for many that are disappointed now.

The thing I don't like about mods, if you play a multiplayer game online (and even this is very problematic at the moment), you each have to have the same mod installed. And when you have several types of mods out there, then you start decreasing your mulitplayer population because of so many different tastes and styles of play. Already the screams of no elephants and wardogs in multiplayer games, lol, and I told them this months ago.

I'm also already seeing RTW on ebay for under $30, frustrated gamers are already trying to unload their copies, lol. But, if you're a graphics nut and don't care that much about gameplay and enjoy frustrating bugs or crashes, etc., you might like RTW. I didn't and as much as I praised MTW, RTW really left me wanting.

About RTW coming out on the X-box, this I read in one of the threads at the official forum site. Whether it's rumor or fact, well CA/Activision are so secretive (we got all of our information on release etc. from 3rd party websites) it's uncertain until it's practically upon us. But, it would definitely be an X-box type game, since it's a clicky fest, whack your mole, jerk your joystick, wheel your mouse type of game, I don't see any reason to disbelieve they won't try to X-box it.

And also, while I am very disappointed in the battle play of the game, you can "pause" the game during the battles. I never paused during battles in MTW, and there's no way to enjoy the battles of RTW without pausing, unless you are one of those click fest type people that can move your wrist around like speedy gonzales. To me the speed of giving orders in MTW without using pause was just about right for issuing orders and then the time it would take to get those orders to your units. In RTW if you miss a beat, your unit is routed and there is no longer an "army rally" command, you have to individually attempt to rally your unit. Now, try doing all this in the heat of the battle, with only seconds to spare for each of your actions, you have no time to think, no time to maneuver, just time to throw everything at everything and look for a free unit to flank with. Not much tactics to that and certainly no fun factor of maneuver.

Heh, battles that would last 45 minutes in MTW, well those might last 4 to 5 minutes in RTW, haha, totally too fast for my fun value.

Also, expect to lose your generals often that are controlled by the AI, yep, the AI now controls any "extra" armies you send into the battle, so like if you attacked with two or three of your armies, the AI is going to control TWO of them and guess what the ai loves to do? Send it's General right out in FRONT, a few seconds later, dead. What I was reduced to doing, was send several armies into a battle, but, only have one army with a General, this way you control ALL the units, but, they come in as reinforcements like in MTW instead of all at the same time. It's the only way to save your Generals. Captains aren't that bad to use anyway, all armies come with a captain, you just don't get any bonuses, but, playing against the AI, you don't need any bonuses, except on very hard/ very hard settings.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 13
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 9:15:45 PM   
dinsdale

Thanks Ravinhood. Both Shogun and Medieval were a blast to play, but I think I'll skip this one. Sad, WTF were they thinking

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 9:26:42 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Well I never thought M/TW was a game in the same league as realistic games, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Oh I never really thought MTW was "historically accurate", but, it is a fun as heck Medieval RISKlike game to me. That's how I view it and that's how I play it. It's Risk, Medieval style. But, the actions during the battles were at the right speed that made it fun, the speed of the RTW battles turns it into a pure rts game like Rise of Nations with a strategic game map.

RTW is Risk, Ancients style, but, too rtsey for my taste. And the ai to me is worse than it was in MTW, but, then again I used Wesmods AI mod and that made even MTW a better game to play and add in 16Kings and it was the most fun. RTW has no mods available yet and so it's as vanilla as it gets, but, the sad thing here is, why must we have to have "mods" for the game to be what it should have been out of the box? Why is it other people can improve the AI and the game performance and not these socalled professional game designers/developers?

Even taking Paradox games into perspective, it took a year and a half and C.O.R.E. mod to even make it worth playing, oh it was playable at version 1.0, but, it was a laugh playable, when Brazil could conquer the Italians and Germans with little or no help at all, leaning moreso to the no help because the allied ai was like a rock of no activity. Lol, now I can hardly beat Argentina with Brazil, let alone have time enough to get into the big war. Everything was chopped to pieces and now if you don't play one of the majors, you basically just end up getting to "watch" the war instead of participate in it. But, I suppose that's more "realistic & historically accurate", but, there's still many issues that aren't fair to the player, like the more than 4 planes penalty.

Slitherine had no problem making a pretty fun lil game in Spartan, 1.013 version was the best, though they turned around and "dumbed" the AI down in patch 1.017 and that I don't understand at all, well, yes I do, they dumbed it down for the 13 year olds that were whinning on the boards all the time about how hard it was. Gates of Troy is just as bad, I had to go back into the files myself and remod the AI back to the 1.013 version, I don't understand what is wrong with having people LEARN how to beat a game instead of giving it to them on a silver platter, or if nothing else just give them a bunch of "cheat" codes and let them stomp the AI to their content. I'm really sick n tired of being sick n tired of dumbed down AI games being released nowadays. And I'm mad at Matrix for going to "direct download" for their games without a manual. I'm getting my throat cut left and right, if not by one thing (sorry ai/too many rts games) then by another (direct download).

Remember back in the 80's, those games that came out didn't get any tweaks or changes, but, those were some of the best games I ever played. The AI's were challenging and certainly tough enough on the highest difficulties (Civilization origional comes to mind here) and you didn't have all this catering to 13 year olds. Hell I was in my early 20's back then and I didn't gripe or complain about a single game. Little 2mb to 5mb games of the 80's are still better than games of today.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 15
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 10:14:11 PM   
dinsdale

quote:

why must we have to have "mods" for the game to be what it should have been out of the box? Why is it other people can improve the AI and the game performance and not these socalled professional game designers/developers?

This is one of my pet peeves as well. It's one thing for OPART to have hundreds of scenarios which extend the game, it's another thing entirely to have to rely on volunteers to make the frigging game work.

quote:

Slitherine had no problem making a pretty fun lil game in Spartan, 1.013 version was the best, though they turned around and "dumbed" the AI down in patch 1.017 and that I don't understand at all, well, yes I do, they dumbed it down for the 13 year olds

Well you know I disagree with this statement. Making fewer outrageous cheats is not the same as dumbing down :) IMHO, Spartan has one of the worst AI's, certainly on a par with Paradox for this coveted prize, but the game style can disguise the weaknesses. Ultimately, it was the AIs inactivity in Spartan which stopped me from playing it.

quote:

LEARN how to beat a game instead of giving it to them on a silver platter

That's IMHO the biggest problem with Spartan. It's a math puzzle which can be "solved" even with the AI cheats, but the solving of it is no more than an excersise in shifting numbers of resources around. Now I know that almost all AI boils down to this, but some are more adept at disguising it than others. For me, Spartan was too obvious.

quote:

Remember back in the 80's, those games that came out didn't get any tweaks or changes, but, those were some of the best games I ever played.

I would put a certain amount of that down to natural nostagia. Some because the games were less complex, and most importantly, because while stuffing new features into games to make them seem different, the same amount of work has not been done on the AI. There have been some great breakthroughs in AI over the last decade, unfortunately, they don't ever make it into games. One of the problems is us. Everytime someone says the AI in a game sucks, 10 posters jump on him explaining how hard it is to make!!! Now imagine that attitude if it was applied to graphics in FPS games.........they'd still be at the level of DOOM1 :)

< Message edited by dinsdale -- 10/4/2004 8:16:57 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 16
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/4/2004 11:13:07 PM   
ravinhood

LOL So true about graphics Dinsdale, but, then again, I prefer playing Doom origional than I do to any of it's later models. But, I got used to that demo and anything afterwards just seemed like graphic candy and the same game.

But, anyways I being a NICE guy like I always am! lol (sarcasm) Here's a link to the patch/bug wish list from the RTW official site:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=8935.topic

You should have emailed me for my mod on Spartan Dinsdale, at least you would have ended up fighting superior forces and not just the peasants and lower class units. I found a pretty good setup for the priority builds of the AI and just told them to create armies and use up the resources I gave to them. I even made a "warlords" mod, but, the problem I found in that was, even though I had ALL the factions hating me, only (4) those closest to me would ever goto war with me, never had any of those northern factions (I was playing crete) come south and try to dislodge me. I gained the Persians when they came on the map, but, they were so predictable, they came at the same city over and over and over again, until I finally stacked up a 16 unit army there and they just beat themselves to death on it.

Now, that's a good thing I can say about SSG's actual "Warlords game" (discounting warlords iv), any computer ai might come upon you, they all might come upon you and if you set them to all come upon you, that's what they did. It was one of the better ai's, but, of course with handicaps, and advantages to make it that way.

You are correct though, it's a numbers game, and overcoming the odds, but, really all of them are that way on every difficulty, look at even games like SPWAW, it's a numbers games when you increase the difficulty, it's never ever an "improved ai" at higher difficulties, it's never ever a "more strategic or tactical ai" at higher difficulties, it's always been "more resources, more advanced skill trees (civilization)", but, never an "improved ai". That much I know from the 80's to the present, computer chess is about the only game I know that actually uses a "calculated" strategy based on input knowledge of moves and counter moves, the advantage goes to the computer in computer chess because it can look ahead so many more moves in a short amount of time, whereas a human can probably only look ahead 5 moves on the average, that's how many I can look ahead without getting a headache or confused. lol

Even games that "appear" or "disquised" as you put it to make a player "think" the ai "improves" at higher difficulties, what they do on those is just have the ai do "nothing" on the easy level and do more and more on higher difficulties, but, the same rule of "overcoming the odds" eventually applies at the higher difficulty levels, either the computer ai is going to get "more" of something in regards to resources or combat bonuses or the player is going to be handicapped of them, sometimes both happen, the ai gets more bonuses AND the player gets handicapped. Combat Mission series is like this, but, it's in the players hands how he/she wants to setup the scenario, you can give the ai vet units and take green units, and then you can give the ai bonus roll modifiers like +1, +2 or +3, so with a little playing each individual can usually find the right setting for at least a challenging game against the ai, even if he/she does know it' has received bonuses and advantages.

You can look at the discussion of BIN (Battles in Normandy), I've been reading text showing how the AI gets modifiers to it's combat rolls and reinforcements, that lil +1, +2, +3, so even good games like SSG makes has it's computer ai bonuses that the player doesn't receive.

What I'm looking for and I'm sure you and just about every other player on here is looking for is an AI that actually "changes" how it plays against each individual. I still don't understand why no one has built a data base AI that stores it's victories and losses and reacts to those whenever it comes upon them in a game. If it got it's butt beat against a wall of defenders in the last battle, why send another army right back into that wall the next battle? Stuff like that needs to be programmed so the AI has SOME semblance of thought, just a data base that it can read from and try something else.

The MTW battle AI was "almost" good, but, it got lazy or didn't complete the task it was on, many times it had the advantage to flank and did not, and then other times it did. It just wasn't consistant enough and because of lame unit building, all I had to do was hold out until I could put together a mass army and then crush it province by province. Some of the best games I had with MTW was just not accepting alliances with any faction and going to war anytime I chose with anyone I chose, with always that fear factor that my neighbor might jump on me at the same time, and sometimes they did, most times did not. It would have been more challenging and fun if the ai had of allied and HELPED one another, instead of just an abstract alliance that meant nothing more than we're allied, but, I'll attack when I want to. Broken alliances should have meant more grouped alliances toward that faction, especially the human player, cause the human player is more deceitful whereas the computer ai is not and will not use "gamey tactics" or strategy, because it doesn't know how or is programmed to.

I used to play around with the editor of "Battles of Napolean" and in setting things up one told the AI what to try to accomplish by "objective hexes", you could also place things like strategic "waypoints" for them to go for as they are approaching the objective hexes. Not much more in giving the ai any intelligence or improved performance, but, trying to balance a scenario out so that it "appeared" to play a decent game against you. But, even with these two features I was able to create some interesting flanking maneuver games for myself, the only sad part, heh, I knew it was coming.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 17
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/5/2004 3:35:21 AM   
Brigz

Thanks for all the info ravinhood. Although I knew that the Total War series is based on a Campaign/Strategic system with a tactical counterpart, I'm mostly interested in the tactical aspects of ancient warfare. Those images on the History channel looked very cool. Looks like I'll just have to be saitisfied with my Prestags board games, Interactive's Great Battles series and the upcoming Tin Soldiers.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 18
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/6/2004 9:31:25 PM   
dinsdale

So Ravinhood:

They already had graphics and sound, the two previous titles had bells and whistles, so what exactly have the developers been doing these last 2 or 3 years?

What are the big new features which would consume so much development time?

It's depressing that I'm reading elsewhere how great the game is from people who don't like strategy games, or only like Rise Of Nations or other RTS games, I suppose that tells a story in itself

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 19
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/7/2004 2:21:53 AM   
ravinhood

You're reading it right, the RTS gamers are flooding the boards at the official site and the vets, grogs and intelligent people have moved over to the .org

It was Activisions plan to draw in the kiddie click fest crowd, there's more money from them than us old grogs of wargaming I suppose. I keep asking though, where do they think these kiddies are getting their money from?

There's a mod out now that reduces the click fest of the battles, but, there's still no mod for improvement of the AI and of course the game still has balance issues, flaws, and bugs that must be fixed before it's anywhere near worth the playing fun/pleasure of MTW.

Just be patient my dear Dinsdale, save yourself $50 and wait on it. It'll still be there six months from now, but, I venture to say it will be more to your liking and mine as well by then and much much much cheaper than $50.

It' has "potential" I've never said it didn't have that, but, it's PARADOXY out of the box now and I don't like that, it's also kiddie click fest out of the box and I don't like that. So, I have to treat CA/Activision like I treat Paradox now, they have come to the same crossroads as far as I'm concerned and I won't support them with my $$.

It's hard to recommend anything at the moment, I've looked at the titles just released and nothing really stands out as "must have, go pay $50 for it now", the only other game I'm looking at for the future is "Kohan II" and maybe "Battle for Middle Earth" and I know BFME is a clicky fest game, but, thing about it is I KNOW IT's A KIDDLE CLICK FEST, whereas they hid the fact that RTW was going to be a kiddie click fest until the release of the demo, and then of course the full version that followed only a few weeks later. They left "hope" in many that the demo was "nothing" like the full version was going to be, so those that went out and bought the full version expecting MTW style of battles were fooled.

I also really wanted "Battles in Normandy", but, I'm hard pressed to not pay $70 for a wargame that will have very little interest to me in a few months. Main reason I'm not a big fan of pure wargames on a particular "battle" of the war, they get "samey" over time, I get bored with the same thing easily, hense the reason I left board wargaming completely. I still "collect" them, but, I don't play them. I enjoy games with "random" features, plenty of "whatif" scenarios, but, "random generated maps and units" ala Combat Mission/Steel Panthers are mostly my favorite type wargames now.

Having so many computer wargames from the early 80's to present, that's another reason nothing really strikes me as "fasinating" or "hypes" me up enough to buy a "game on release" anymore. If something innovating and fresh and new comes out, then that's when I get excited. Spartan was my fresh and new game for the year. I still llike it and play it from time to time, but, I spent about a whole month to a month and a half playing it constantly (also modding it) and sort of burnt myself out on it. But, it's still a good ai to play against after I modded it and the challenge is the next most important to randomness. It having over 100 different nations to play with and all those scenarios, plus, I like playing conquer the world with each different nation, is going to give it longevity.

I guess we have to face it, it's an RTS/FPS type world out there today, pretty much gone are the good ole days of meat and potatoes wargames, strategy games and the like. If you're not into RTS/FPS nowadays, you're just going to have a small menu to choose your meals from. There's only so many Matrix, HPS, & Shrapnel Titles anyway and I hear that co. that did Galactic Civilization has a new either expansion or version released, I'm going to be checking into that.

The funny thing about me is, I keep buying these computer wargames looking for that AI that is the best, I am living on a false hope that someday, oneday, anydaynow, there's going to be someone that programs a wargame with a decent ai that any human would find as challenging and fun to play against as another human. That's my falicy in computer gaming, that hope that's most likely not going to come in my lifetime and my lifetime is starting to look very short the older I get. lol I'm looking for that AI that will remind me of my friend Paul, who used to beat me time after time after time at "chess", then one fateful day I "FINALLY" beat his arse, that's the AI I'm looking for in a computer wargame. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 10/6/2004 7:30:37 PM >

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 20
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/7/2004 6:48:06 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs
Interactive's Great Battles series and the upcoming Tin Soldiers.

Both highly recommended. For online play there's DBA online, too.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 21
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/7/2004 7:22:07 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

The funny thing about me is, I keep buying these computer wargames looking for that AI that is the best, I am living on a false hope that someday, oneday, anydaynow, there's going to be someone that programs a wargame with a decent ai that any human would find as challenging and fun to play against as another human. That's my falicy in computer gaming, that hope that's most likely not going to come in my lifetime and my lifetime is starting to look very short the older I get.

I agree, and while I wouldn't say never, I am 99.999999% sure that I will not be interested in multiplayer or PBEM. I have a weird schedule and some scraps of a social life which makes my game time vary from 10 minutes here to a couple of hours there. I want some instant gratification and not wait a day for the PBEM to resolve because I'm the only one up at 4 in the morning :)

Decent AI is possible. The hardware, software and techniques are waiting, but it's outside the realm of normal programming, and it's experts cost a lot of money. It also requires a paradigm shift in how the game itself is programmed as you need to let AI cycles run continuously to avoid something like a 10 minute turn :)

But you I and others keep buying sub-par AI games as they are the only ones available, so why change. Would Doom have changed if it never had any competition?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 22
RE: Review pages for Strategy and War Games - 10/7/2004 9:23:47 AM   
ravinhood

Heh, did DOOM actually change? Yah I know graphics are better, but, did the ai really improve? I used to get et up alive in the Doom demo, but, then again when outnumbered 30 to 1 by hellhounds or whatever they were, what was I to expect? haha

As far as PBEM, I do have a few games of those going, but, I'm sort of like you I like instant gratification playing games or at least a lot of activity, and so I only play short battles of the Combat Mission series or Steel Panthers. 20 turns or less usually. A turn a day and you can get a game to a couple of games a month finished with dedicated PBEMers, fortunately I have a couple that deliver the files on a daily basis.

Maybe I'll just move to another genre, SIM'sville type games only, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Mall Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, Sim Cities and The Movies and Playboy Mansion soon to be released. Since the ai doesn't seem to ever be going to replace the human mind in strategy, might as well just use it for what it is best at, just calculating stats or artificially pathing "little people" around. lol Actually I have Roller Coaster Tycoon, it was fun for a little while, but, too repetitive in buildings, the challenge was merely beating the game timer out on each scenario and meeting the scenario goals. Haven't tried those others yet, perhaps I will, can't be any worse than computer wargames right? hehe Oh and "Locomotion" is out, a repeat of the now infamous "Transport Tycoon". Just another II game of something I already have with updated graphics <sigh>

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Review pages for Strategy and War Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI