Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More Observations on the OOBs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More Observations on the OOBs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More Observations on the OOBs - 3/23/2005 2:03:52 AM   
KG Erwin

One thing I learned early on in working with the SPWaW OOBs is that strictly historical formations don't necessarily work well in actual game play. Let me use as an example the OOB I worked on the most--the USMC.

The historical D-series battalion weapons company had four 81mm mortars, an anti-tank-AA platoon, which had two 50 cal M2-HBs and 4 37mm ATGs, and three MG platoons, each with 8 M1917A1 .30 cal HMGs. This unwieldy organization can't be portrayed properly in game terms, as it was common practice to cross-attach the component elements to rifle companies as tactical needs dictated, especially the HMG platoons.

In later TOEs, the E series of 1943 and the F series of 1944, the weapons company was disbanded, with the MG platoons being dispersed to the rifle companies and the other units attached to the battalion HQ company. The mix of HMGs and MMGs was also changed as the war progressed. By 1944, a rifle company had 6 HMGs and 6 MMGs in its weapons platoon.

In addition, by 1943-44 the rifle battalions held shotguns, flamethrowers and bazookas in their weapons pools. This is why we now have rifle squads with differing weapons loadouts for each year.

This is where compromises were made in the construction of the USMC OOB. My final version, completed after 8.3 was released, conforms closer to the actual tactical deployment of these MG/heavy weapons elements, as well as the engineers, recon teams, and even tank support. This also prevents a bewildering variety of platoon- or company-sized formations as the "official" TOEs changed over the years.

In simplest terms, I broke down the weapons platoons into their smallest component parts, i.e., MG sections or platoons or even single weapons. Same goes for mortars and ATGs.

In this way, it is much easier to "task-organize" a rifle battalion or even a company in a given year with attached MGs, mortars, and other support elements, as was actually done. A single company can be a combined-arms team, which is appropriate and allows for maximum flexibility in force purchases.

This philosophy, while not married to the "on-paper" TOEs, does follow historical parameters and I believe is the best method to allow players and scenario designers the freedom to customize their forces as they see fit. Fortunately, the USMC followed a logical progression of organizational changes from 1942 to 1944, with a fourth (G series) TOE that was officially adopted in September 1945, but was in use for the Marine units that fought at Okinawa.

I'm happy with the results of my research, and I'll give this re-worked OOB to anyone who wants it.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/23/2005 2:14:17 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: More Observations on the OOBs - 3/23/2005 8:08:35 AM   
skukko

Hi KG!

Ziizuz KG, Does that work? I'll like to play against you with UNedited country and CC ON. You know that CC? How does your troops behave now? Have they all recon-status, radio and Captain as a squad leader? If this is same OOB that you sent to me then I know what I'll do today:: I'll test it in a hard way.

Althought historical status has its benefits, its impossible for Spwaw to use more than one OOB at the time. Luckily spwaw is quite simple program to be edited by grognards. Just need to keep log of what has been last installed before going H2H. I like games like this. With a chance to get IN the game it comes more attractive and lets imagination to fly on "what-ifs". Spwaw is sort of the Queen as it is WARGAME.

good morning to everyone

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: More Observations on the OOBs - 3/23/2005 5:26:29 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: skukko

Hi KG!

Althought historical status has its benefits, its impossible for Spwaw to use more than one OOB at the time. Luckily spwaw is quite simple program to be edited by grognards. Just need to keep log of what has been last installed before going H2H.

good morning to everyone

Have you tried Modswapper
It makes switching of OOBs sooooooo easy.

(in reply to skukko)
Post #: 3
RE: More Observations on the OOBs - 3/24/2005 10:46:11 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Erwin,

The method that you used for the USMC OOB could and should be used for other OOBs. This may have freed up a few slots.

KED

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: More Observations on the OOBs - 3/25/2005 2:04:59 AM   
KG Erwin

Kevin, thanks, but keep in in mind that the older USMC OOBs left many slots available, so Bryan, Stuart and I took advantage of this and added needed units/formations. They were relatively easy to redesign to conform to historical usage.

Germans are a whole 'nother story. However, given that the smallest unit components stayed fairly consistent, I think a radical revision of this OOB is not out of the question. However, and this is the big problem, a simplification of the Germans would presuppose much knowledge on the part of gamers on the construction of the labyrinthine combinations that are shown in the historical KStN's. At present, they are many slots that are used as "AI only" purchases. Many have tried, and many have failed, so I chose the "human player only" version. This OOB definitely needs two versions, one for playing AGAINST them, and one for playing AS them. The Matrix OOB team was never given this option, so our hands were tied.

Addendum: I sent a few guys my personal German OOB. This is specifically designed for long campaign play, NOT as a PBEM version. My personal USMC OOB was designed for the same purpose. Yes, I had an agenda, and it was to keep historical units in line for a logical upgrade path as you play your campaign. You start with a reasonably historical battalion (reinforced), and the changes in weapons/squad armaments will also follow a reasonably historical progression. No fantasy units come into play--you are restricted to what was actually available to you at a given time. This is my personal philosophy, and other players may differ, but I side with history.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/25/2005 2:28:44 AM >

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 5
RE: More Observations on the OOBs - 3/25/2005 5:49:12 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

I get it and think its the way to go.

KED

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More Observations on the OOBs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI