Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/2/2004 1:10:27 AM   
huhrlass

I continue to play this great game but rarely if ever do I use airborne troops. However, I am playing the Norwegian campaign and purchased airborne troops for use as core. My question is this:

Do I need to buy cargo planes (JU52's) from the misc tab? I think I do but I even noticed on one of the scenarios within the campaign that Ju52's weren't even available?
Thanks
Howard

also, any time frame on the liebstandarte campaign?

Still the best wargame out there and I have them all
Post #: 1
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/2/2004 2:51:39 AM   
VikingNo2

Yes you have to buy cargo planes, and assign them to airdrop in the predeployment phase. your can also set what turn you want them to be dropped on. If memory serves you assign them the cancel and hit " T " then type in the turn number you want them to arrive on. I mght be wrong but I know its written on the assign screen somewhere. Airbrn troop are great they have good moral are euiped well, there draw backs are they are more expensive and come in smaller squads. If you have no air avalible they are good ground troops. Please let me know if you have any other question. I saw on another post that you where looking for a PBEM game. What would you say your experience level is in the game.

Welcome aboard, this is a great game and a wonderful community

(in reply to huhrlass)
Post #: 2
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/2/2004 11:29:22 PM   
huhrlass

hi viking,

thanks for the help and I will do that today and buy some cargo planes. You are correct. I think my experience is veteran but then again never have played a game vs a human and that makes a whole lot of difference!! question, can we play a game direct without PBEM?

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 3
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/3/2004 1:47:37 AM   
plloyd

Well... Yes and no. You do not need to Ju-52s unless you intend to drop in that scenario. Paratroops are very good in almost any close fight, so in that respect you don't need transport. I know it will sound stupid, and you probably already know it, don't make the Ju-52s part of the core force. Save your game at the end the end of each scenario, then scout the next one (not play) to determine if a para drop is really appropriate, the go back and purchase transport if it is.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to huhrlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/3/2004 12:26:11 PM   
huhrlass

I agree with you I keep the cargo as aux forces, by the way, 4 planes of JU52's does it carry a full airborne platoon? Don't want to waste the 40 points if I dont have to

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 5
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/3/2004 3:46:29 PM   
FNG

I have been playing a Soviet campaign with a core force of paras and have found gliders to be a very cost effective (and more accurate) method of deploying airborne troops. I also tend to buy more than the minimum number of aircraft required and put fewer units in each - thereby lowering casualties in case of destruction by flak.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to huhrlass)
Post #: 6
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/3/2004 8:54:05 PM   
plloyd

2 Ju-52 can lift all the infantry of a FJ platoon, as each Ju-52 can carry 20 guys. As you noted, the cost 10 per plane. Gliders cost 22 each and only carry 12 troops, but can carry other things (like AT or IG guns). Your problem will be loading your MMGs. If you have a complete company, you can fit everything on 8 planes, including your HQ. You will just have to play with the numbers, then futz with you purchases to get the right number of planes. The option is 16 gliders, 352 points (ouch!). Reduced squads may help a little, if you play with that option. Good luck!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to huhrlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help - 11/3/2004 11:36:30 PM   
huhrlass

you guys are great with the replies. I sort of forgot but wen i go back i have to check on how to place less units in planes, you guys play the norwegian campaign yet? I am like on the 4th or 5th scenario and it's date is 12/49!! which is off by 9 years

thanks

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Using Airborne troops and Purchases Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI