Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry.....a snowball in hell, or an iceball in Helsinki?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Infantry.....a snowball in hell, or an iceball in Helsinki? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry.....a snowball in hell, or an iceball in Helsi... - 6/15/2000 11:58:00 PM   
Nikademus

Infantry....ah Infantry, possibly the most controversial element of the SP series. The field seems to be split on the issue. Some say that Inf is hopelessly vulnerable to enemy fire, others say they ar'nt vulnerable enough. Me? no question that SP-1 and SP-2 was way too vulnerable (especially SP-2..even with INF toughness set to 250%!) I was orig well entrenched in the 'too vulnerable' field having been with SP from the very start and seeing whole platoons wiped out after two or three 75mm+ hits with HE rounds from tanks etc etc. The latest version of SP:WWII seemed to address this, but after playing that venerable version for several months i began to question whether or not things had gone too far the other way? One could spend turn after turn spraying a hex with rifle and MG fire and only come out with 1 or 2 casualties....rarely one might see 4-5 (very rarely) Flamethrowers were useless (even with Elite exp ratings) and cannon fire almost was'nt worth expending. SP-3 when it came out seemed reasonable at first, esp since we were dealing with whole platoons so there was correspondingly a huge increase in 'firepower' per fire round. Also, what was 1 or 2 casualties per turn in a full strength platoon of 50+ men? Unless one was careless, in a scenerio of maybe 15 turns? not much. Still....one thing about the SP-3 engine always niggled at me. The fact that more often than not....too often for it to just be put down to a "lucky shot" With distressing regularity, i would see either long range shots and/or inexp shots with to hit % of 8% or less, often even 5% or less get a 1 casualty rating. Again, at the Brigade level of SP-3, this was'nt so bad, but in SP:WAW, we are back to the squad/indiv vehicle level so its a bit more frustrating. Just finished playing the 45 scenerio USSR vs Germany (sorry the title escapes me) but its the one where a small Soviet INF force supported by a platoon of T-34/85, and two sections of SU-122 (+1 sec ISU 152) assaults a German town just before Berlin defended by a scratch German force composed mostly of Green German troops. (of course 'Green' for the Germans is still decent (mid to high 60's) but hardly elite or veteran. Well, even factoring in my 'aclimitization' to SP:WWII's much tougher inf ratings, i found the scenerio frustrating as all too often, Green troops firing on my either stationary(in cover), or 1-hex moved (again in cover) with an average to hit of 5% or less getting a kill/casualty. far too many at least to put it down to a lucky or crack shot. The result of course was that by scenerio's end my veteran and highly valuable footpads were pretty much gutted as fighting units. now i do understand that the 'to hit' % displayed on the screen is subject to adj (like by the leaders INF rating) and is not the final one but still....the frequency of casualties attributed to firing rounds with such a low beginning % to hit (3% - 8%) has always been what i considerd to be a SP-3 fax paus. I also noticed another holdover from the SP-3 game engine....even squads reduced to 1 man still can fire EACH weapon that the squad has. I suffered yet another couple of casualties attacking a Ger Green unit with 1 intact footpad who single-handedly shot at me with is rifle, then picked up the MG-34, and THEN attacked me with a grenade (whats the German word for RAMBO??? we could have used this guy at Stalingrad!) Another distressing symptom i noted was that 95% of all squads engaged...even inexperienced ones, did not retreat till they'd suffered 90+% casualties (which usually led to dispersement) After pondering this for a while, my first thought was to simply increase the INF toughness level, but actually i dont think the system is flawed in that respect. besides which, if the INF 'were' made sig tougher it would severely unbalance most of the scenerios which have average time lengths of 15 or less, which would be impossible to complete if multiple turns are having to be spent trying to root out pesky entrenched inf that are laughing at my efforts. (as it was, by being over-cautious i'd only managed to take half the town by scenerio's end as the Soviet player) so i guess my main rant/question is not whether or not the INF are too vulnerable, but why is it that the SP-III based engine SO frequently awards casualties to firing units that have such poor firing solutions? at a guess, i'm thinking it may have to do with the fact that for INF groups the inital main weapon (usually rifles) gets multiplied by the # of men in the squad so your looking at many chances of a hit at x% rate. Only hole in this theory is that the MG weapon (of which there is only 1 usually per squad) also tends to get an inordinate amount of hits with low %'s as well. one last question too (really ;-)..) I'm thinking that specialized units like MG squads and AT guns should'nt have secondary weapons to fire. It would seem to me (and i think i've seen other people mention this) that the crew would be too busy assisting with firing/operating the main weapon to be taking potshots with rifles (and with the SP engine the way it is, often getting more casualties than the main weapon scores!)

Post #: 1
- 6/16/2000 1:18:00 AM   
sjuncal

Infantry accourding to the posts on this board (as you guess later in your post) have rifles times squad size times percentage to hit. So infantry tend to be the best anti infantry weapon. Main guns and AT for the same reason tend to be less effective aganst infantry. Where as a US rifle squad has 5 shots times 9 or 10 M1 Garands for 10 x 3%, 10 x 5%, 10 x 8%, 10 x 10% and 10 x 12% along with their squad automatic weapons which always have a higher chance to hit in which case you're seeing 2 BAR's at 12% then 14% etc. etc. In the same situation a Tank has 1 x 3% chance to hit with the main gun, likely a 1 x 12 or 14% chance for each of it's MG's. If you've got one lone tank attacking an entrenched infantry squad I think it goes without saying that this Tank should be in a load of trouble, so this reflects the situation pretty well if you ask me... In a similar stand off situation if you add a HT and another couple tanks then the Squad should be in serious trouble... Which is exactly what happens in the game. As the 3 tanks and HT combine for 7 or more machine guns with 4 or 5 shots each and 3 main guns with 4 or 5 shots each. Baring multiple heroic performances that rifle squad is in deep doo doo. As far as lucky shots go, someone else mentioned it: We humans tend to remember the runs of bad luck... I know I've more than once exclaimed "NO WAY!!!" or "THAT'S BS!" when the AIP gets two or three kills in a row on it's turn; with 10% chances to hit... Funny thing is, that I don't feel the same "NO WAY!!!" when the same enemy goes an entire turn without a single kill despite 10% and 25% or more chances. I've even gone so far as to test the relative hit chances (as I detailed in an earlier post) via save-restore replaying of a turn... I've seen isolated Ranger squads (lone Rangers... sorry) assualted without effect by 2 Gerry squads, 2 HT's and 3 Tiger tanks, due to luck, only to see them wiped out in three or four shots after restoring... Or surrender, or retreat and get destroyed, or get 48 suppression and be reduced to 3 men... Restoring multiple times lead me to the conclussion that A) 25% chance to hit is indeed a hit roughly a quarter of the time or 2 times in 8 shots. B) 6 experience 80+ rangers can occasionally close assault multiple AFV's and come out the heroes. C) those same 6 rangers can just as occasionally be wiped out on the first 88 hit by the first tank that shot at them (4 casualties and a surrender). Personally I think the relative strengths and weaknesses of Infantry versus Armor is SP:WAW's most stunningly sucessful addition to the SP series...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 2
- 6/16/2000 2:05:00 AM   
Nikademus

i agree on the AFV vs Inf acessment. Way superior to the current SP:WWII interaction which greatly reduced INF's ability to combat AFV's...especially on the move. Still, gotta partially disagree on the 'luck' thing. I realize that there is some variation in there and even in the scenerio i used as an example i saw a couple instances where an exposed squad withstood a tremendous battering of small arms fire and even a few HE rounds, stubbornly holding its ground and even returning fire. But the instances of casualties (usually 1) in cases of either extreme range or low % fire (call it sniping fire) still tends to happen too often. Besides the frustration, like you mentioned this tends to make the basic infantry rifle far too effective vs a dedicated HMG or LMG which though its indiv much more lethal and has better range, tends to get out shot by the rifles due to the mult effect of the primary weapon.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 3
- 6/16/2000 8:26:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Excellent discussion guys! All I have time right now to say is that we have tried to tweak things a bit version 2.0 so: Experience plays a larger role in casualties. Suppression is increased so units will tend to beat feet faster after fewer casulaties. "bonus" opfire results in more gun duels and firefights so attackers don't have such a free hand and get suppressed quicker, tending to being able to cause fewer casualties unless highly expereinced/high morale/rally. The other thing is to take advantage of the preference dials:-)

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Infantry.....a snowball in hell, or an iceball in Helsinki? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI