Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

worst thing about this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> worst thing about this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
worst thing about this game - 1/1/2005 1:36:02 PM   
Central Blue

is all the improvements being made!

What with all the upgrades and improvements and user mods, I have to keep starting over.

At least I can now do my first Allied turn in something like 2hours.

And I drink less alcohol and more coffee so that I can log onto this site at 0330 PST Jan. 1, to find out what's new.

It doesn't get any better.

And BTW, I now save my last ten turns, if I get that far. Disk space is cheap.

My thanks to all the hard work people are putting in.

Happy new year.

< Message edited by Central Blue -- 1/1/2005 3:39:10 AM >

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year
Post #: 1
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/1/2005 2:16:30 PM   
Roger Neilson

I was under the impression that the upgrades were applicable to games in progress?

Roger

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 2
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/1/2005 2:57:11 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson

I was under the impression that the upgrades were applicable to games in progress?

Roger

All but OOB changes.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Roger Neilson)
Post #: 3
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/1/2005 3:33:55 PM   
Central Blue

OOB and TOE are very important to me. And I always restart with the latest updates, regardless

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 4
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 1:53:24 AM   
kaleun

You'll never finish a game, if you restart every time

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 5
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 2:05:46 AM   
Onime No Kyo

You'll never finish a game anyway. It is my humble opinion that unlike history, things in WitP become more than blatantly apparent very early in the game. After being very active for 8 game months and playing very "committed" hours in my game against the AI, I find that I am losing interest and will restart when 1.5 comes out. I doubt that the "feel" is much different in PBEMs. The losing side may carry on doggedly just for the sake of grace, but once the balance tips, it stays there. I surmise that in the game this takes much less time than it did historically.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 6
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 2:09:57 AM   
kaleun

I'm playing a Japanese PBEM and kind of feel that, after the middle of 1943, it probably will be a chore to play the Japanese; on the other hand, it is definitely a chore to play the allies until then (perhaps until mid 1942 if you don't royally f$ck up the game [see Shame and Execration AAR}) so if my allied friend lasts until then, he deserves to come and invade the home islands.

Now if the Okhas and Kamikazes would work, I'd have a nice reception for him!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 7
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 2:16:25 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

I'm playing a Japanese PBEM and kind of feel that, after the middle of 1943, it probably will be a chore to play the Japanese; on the other hand, it is definitely a chore to play the allies until then (perhaps until mid 1942 if you don't royally f$ck up the game [see Shame and Execration AAR}) so if my allied friend lasts until then, he deserves to come and invade the home islands.

i took a look at the japanese side on the 1945 scenario and thought "Well it isn't too bad.. still got a bit of air squadrons and even some ships... low exp pilots but I guess I can train some up in china.."

Then i looked at the allied side and my jaw dropped.. I wouldn't know what to do with all those units..

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 8
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 2:19:37 AM   
Zeta16

I think more people will quit later in the game because the game was not tested after 43 much. Look at what is happening in the AAR between me and Dude. Stuff like that is just going to really piss people off. We are in late 43 and not many poeple are past mid 42 in the PBEM games. I see a lot pissed off players down the line.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 9
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 8:48:49 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zeta16

I think more people will quit later in the game because the game was not tested after 43 much. Look at what is happening in the AAR between me and Dude. Stuff like that is just going to really piss people off. We are in late 43 and not many poeple are past mid 42 in the PBEM games. I see a lot pissed off players down the line.

Reminds me of the old SPI "monster" games covering Pacific and European theatres of operations. The truth was that the designers didn't have the time or playtest manpower to play through the entire war, especially since every time they changed something they had to start the playtest over again. It should not come as a surprise to anyone that getting into 1944 (or even late '43) in WiTP is going to be unexplored territory. I think it is anybody's guess as to how balanced the end-game will be or the validity of the victory point levels.

I don't fault the designers, programmrs, or playtesters. The scope of this game defies such precision. It is only through the efforts of players like yourself and Dude to take this game to it's limits and help get it fine tuned. I hope you both have the stamina to see your AAR through to the bitter end so we can explore the end-game period.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 10
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 3:39:13 PM   
medicff

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Now that is appreciable. One thing about this game is that it has many fronts and allows for some mistakes. As Kaleun says only major drawbacks to one side that shows obvious lopsided victory a resignation is in order. But as the allies after the KB reign of terror, I would sure appreciate a little revenge in 1943 and 1944 . It would be nice to get that far. How does the victory points seem to play balance a IJN long game following history?

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 11
RE: worst thing about this game - 1/6/2005 6:58:58 PM   
Zeta16

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zeta16

Reminds me of the old SPI "monster" games covering Pacific and European theatres of operations. The truth was that the designers didn't have the time or playtest manpower to play through the entire war, especially since every time they changed something they had to start the playtest over again. It should not come as a surprise to anyone that getting into 1944 (or even late '43) in WiTP is going to be unexplored territory. I think it is anybody's guess as to how balanced the end-game will be or the validity of the victory point levels.

I don't fault the designers, programmrs, or playtesters. The scope of this game defies such precision. It is only through the efforts of players like yourself and Dude to take this game to it's limits and help get it fine tuned. I hope you both have the stamina to see your AAR through to the bitter end so we can explore the end-game period.

We are going to try, but we hit a problem when he had produced a ton of AM5 and they keep disapearing. Not good for the Japanese players, first these are good planes for him and also the reinforcement groups that come with them have some ok pilots.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> worst thing about this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI