Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Idle Memory Leak

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Idle Memory Leak Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Idle Memory Leak - 2/20/2005 2:39:43 AM   
Charles2222

I wasn't absolutely certain about this, but now I am. There have been at least 3-4 of my memory leaks/CTD's that have come from the following circumstances, only this is the most exaggerated instance by far since I'm so sure of what happened. This was done fresh off the first boot of the computer for the day (I just came in from work).

What happened? I loaded the prior save, left from Batan Island as my next base check. I moved the screen there and selected that base. I went off to eat with ONLY having done that. No other programs running so to speak either (other than basic things like anti-virus). I come back and expand the port and toggled the next base key, then it locked. There was absolutely no 'back' or 'exit' key hit, and the most noteworthy event seems to be that I let it sit idle for so long. I say that because as I said before I've noticed this has happened a few times before, where for some reason it having sit idle seems to be the prelude to this. Of course not all idle times create this problem, but although it may have been only 10-20% of my total memory leak/CTD's it is the most identifiable trait I've been able to find. I'm also one of those who has "never" had a problem with a CTD off of saving a game.

I don't expect anybody has a solution, but I think it should be at least added to the observations of when this thing is occuring and maybe it will help narrow things down. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Idle Memory Leak - 3/7/2005 4:03:35 AM   
PeteG662

Did you have a screensaver pop up and do its thing during your time away from the game eating?

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 2
RE: Idle Memory Leak - 3/7/2005 10:09:47 AM   
michaelm75au

ALT-TABing between WITP and desktop definitely will use up Window resources.
I was recording information from my current game to a spreadsheet for most of the day, when suddenly the underlying map graphic no longer got updated but the base icons did. I basically had a row of bases going across the screen.
Totally exited the game and restarted from a save. Everthing was fine again.

Michael

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 3
RE: Idle Memory Leak - 3/7/2005 6:51:54 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Did you have a screensaver pop up and do its thing during your time away from the game eating?

Well sort of, because as it's set for 270 minutes. It may be that it was on for some of these prolonged absences, but I doubt it as they weren't on when I returned to action. In the case of when I described it on this thread I had played for what was approximately a couple of minutes before the lockup.

I haven't had it happen again since I created this thread. Not that I'm doing anything differently. Usually the first thing I do when returning to actio is turn on my monitor, as about 95% of the time I will turn it off if I anticipate I'll be away from more then 15 minutes. The mouse resets the screensaver, btu it's very rare that I hit that before turning on the monitor, because there's little point in it unless you're in the habit of running a screen saver for even the smallest of breaks and you never turn your monitor off.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 4
RE: Idle Memory Leak - 3/7/2005 6:56:05 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

ALT-TABing between WITP and desktop definitely will use up Window resources.
I was recording information from my current game to a spreadsheet for most of the day, when suddenly the underlying map graphic no longer got updated but the base icons did. I basically had a row of bases going across the screen.
Totally exited the game and restarted from a save. Everthing was fine again.

Michael

Yeah I have something like that which happens rather frequently where a lot of the map graphics get scrunched up, but usually just moving the map up or down fixes it. In any event I figure that's not really much of a problem because I attribute that to some other program, if indeed I'm running another one, simply because I can't recall it happening when it's running standalone.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 3/7/2005 10:56:09 AM >

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Idle Memory Leak Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI