Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CRT Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> CRT Bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CRT Bug - 6/20/2000 5:49:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Is there a bug in the Combat Results Table or am I just the victim of circumstance. I have found that in SPWAW, as well as in earlier versions of SP1 and 2,occasionally the software will 'lock' onto a "no effect" result after a main gun hit and you can hit the same vehicle repeatedly to no avail. For example, I'm playing a campaign and I rolled an entire platoon of 5 Tiger 1's up adjacent to a T34/M43 and hit it 13 times at 1-hex range with no damage. The crew didn't even bail out. I don't know if I was firing HVAP of AP but it really shouldn't matter. As I've said, I've seen this before in SP1 and 2, it seems pretty random (and fortunately rare) to me.

Target, Cease Fire !
Post #: 1
- 6/20/2000 8:29:00 AM   
victorhauser

Yes. There is a bug. (A big old cockroach, if you ask me .) I'm waiting for the upcoming version 2.0 before I make any further comments about it.

VAH

(in reply to Kluckenbill)
Post #: 2
- 6/20/2000 8:54:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Are you sure you hadn't run out of AP? I've had that happen only to realize I had been shooting HE and didn't notice? The new damage result code is more deadly for larger rounds (and smaller rouns against small, poor survivability things).

Post #: 3
- 6/21/2000 11:00:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

I'm sure I still had AP. It was pretty early in the game. Also that same platoon knocked out plenty of tanks later in the game. It's possible that they were shooting HE instead of AP but I wouldn't know why. I really think this is some kind of obsure bug because it has happened to me before in SP1 and 2.

Target, Cease Fire !

Post #: 4
- 6/21/2000 11:56:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Weird things happen form time to time. Mike Wood rewrote most of teh combat code to try ot avoid stuff like sthat. the comabt system I desoigned that he implemented goes a long way to keep that from happening, but a close range the hex grid can tend to "lock" you into a specific hit location. In the new system if you get a run of hits on a shallow flank (especially on a well sloped T-34, a strign of ricocehts and bounces is possible (though HIGHLY unlicky to get 12...). It actually better to stay 3 or 4 hexes back. Especially if the target was on a hill, where the slope of teh hill and teh large angle being adjacent makes the angles a real bugger. The Target wasn't on a hill was it? I tweaked teh damage system in ver 2 to be a fair bit less forgiving of penetrations by 88and larger shelss, and samll stuff against small vehicles.

Post #: 5
- 6/22/2000 11:33:00 AM   
Dean Robb

Even if he was shooting HE, I'd think 5 Tigers bouncing large shells off my armor would pretty much cause me to a) need new underwear; b) say unkind things about my recruiter's geneology; c) deass my tank in a hurry - the sound alone would drive me insane!

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

Post #: 6
- 6/23/2000 5:44:00 AM   
Wittmann44

If I took 13 hits from a tiger platoon, I would be looking for the nearest hill to hide behind, or I would think that I was invincible. I certainly would get out after that and kiss that tank. I remember a story "A country Hero" about a crew in a russian KV-1 that took on a german tank column in December '41. After the battle, the crew counted 29 hits on the KV without serious damage (only the radio mast shot away). Twenty-nine main gun hits. No kill. I know that most of those were likely 37mm or 50mm rounds, and they were firing at a camoflauged tank; even so, 29 main gun hits is pretty serious!

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> CRT Bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI