Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ottoman Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Ottoman Empire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ottoman Empire - 4/5/2005 6:10:08 AM   
Windfire

Curious on how the Ottoman Empire and some of its unique challenges are represented.

For Example

Military composed of a mix of provincial forces and regular forces

Seeming ability to create a new army within a short period of time when the enemy totally destroyed the previous army

Empire that is in a near continuous state of turmoil with various rebellions going on.

Local governers who attempt to set up local mini kingdoms

Tribes/regions that are rebelling against the Sultan (Saids from Arabis, Serbs in Serbia)

Post #: 1
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/5/2005 7:29:03 PM   
ericbabe

There are no specific Ottoman rules, per se, but there are a number of generic rules that encompass some of the things you mention. For instance, there are "guerilla" units that can spontaneously pop-up when a nation is invaded. Spain gets a bonus on the creation of these, and the Ottomans get a smaller bonus. Under low national morale, provinces can revolt and become independent (or join another nation) if an army or corps is not kept in them. We also have a rebel faction for each nation -- so under low morale it is possible for Ottoman rebels to pop-up and harass resource production in the provinces in which they are located. Low national morale can also cause riots and the destruction of developments within a province without an army or corps. Finally, nations with high levels of feudalism (such as the Ottoman Empire) maintain a certain level of feudal militia (and for the Ottomans, Janissary units -- which for game purposes also encompasses the Solaks). The number of these units is brought up to this minimal level every Spring levee.

One of the ways we would like to expand the game in future sequels is to expand the political rules for leaders -- so you can assign governors of provinces, giving thrones to your generals, arrange marriages, etc. If we take the engine in this direction then we might simulate rebellious and uncooperative personalities.

Thanks for the excellent questions,

Eric

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 2
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/6/2005 6:48:32 AM   
Windfire

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Finally, nations with high levels of feudalism (such as the Ottoman Empire) maintain a certain level of feudal militia (and for the Ottomans, Janissary units -- which for game purposes also encompasses the Solaks). The number of these units is brought up to this minimal level every Spring levee.

Excellent, it sounds like you will capture alot of the flavor of the period. I have seen the concept of the Spring levee elsewhere and I like how it captures the actual events/flavor of the period.

Will the Autrian provinces near/along the Ottoman Border have higher feudalism to reflect the insurrection and irregualr troops that they raised routinely (e.g. the insurrection troops that ArchDuke John called to fight are Raab)?

< Message edited by Windfire -- 4/6/2005 6:53:08 AM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/6/2005 6:36:08 PM   
ericbabe

We implement feudalism as a national parameter. But it often works out that units levied by the feudal levy come from the peripheral provinces in a nation -- this is because the player will often drain the available population from the developed areas in his nation (with high barracks) -- and the locations of feudal levy are determined by a population-weighted random selection.

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 4
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/6/2005 11:36:27 PM   
Forward_March

Despite a seemingly high national morale, the French were often having royalist revolts in the Vendee and other provinces. Will this be simulated? Also, Germans weren't often known to rebel against their government...will these kind of historical modifiers be in place. I know that if I were playing Prussia, I'd be severely chuffed by a rebellion in East Prussia just because of a few serious losses to the French.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/6/2005 11:55:30 PM   
ancient doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Spain gets a bonus on the creation of these, and the Ottomans get a smaller bonus.
Eric

Sorry to intervene but watching Ottoman empire to get partisan units in case of enemy invasion is simply wrong.Especially in christian European provinces of the empire it is more possible that native populations join the invader instead of forming units serving the sultan.After all Greeks rebelled(succesfully this time) in 1821,only 5 years after the end of Napoleonic "era" and i whould propose to make a rule that once any European invades Ottoman European provinces there is a chance a rebellion AGAINST the "sick man of europe" happens.It whould be way more realistic.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Ottoman Empire - 4/7/2005 2:22:16 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

Sorry to intervene but watching Ottoman empire to get partisan units in case of enemy invasion is simply wrong.Especially in christian European provinces of the empire it is more possible that native populations join the invader instead of forming units serving the sultan.After all Greeks rebelled(succesfully this time) in 1821,only 5 years after the end of Napoleonic "era" and i whould propose to make a rule that once any European invades Ottoman European provinces there is a chance a rebellion AGAINST the "sick man of europe" happens.It whould be way more realistic.

The Balkan states constitute many of the minor powers of the game. They start conquered by Turkey. They are not a source of Turkish guerilla units. Players can use diplomatic abilities to attempt to foment rebellion in conquered provinces such as these.

There would almost never be rebel units popping up in East Prussia, because of the relatively high levels of courts there. Prussian occupied bits of Poland, on the other hand, are more likely to be a source of revolt.

There is a diplomatic ability to attempt to raise guerillas in conquered provinces, but the Vendee is not considered conquered. A special Vendee-rebel-units check might make a nice rule. I shall put it on my list of list of nice rule ideas.

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Ottoman Empire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI