Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japanese Strategies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Japanese Strategies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japanese Strategies - 4/4/2005 5:58:28 PM   
Troutworld

I didn't see a Japanese specific thread so I added one. The Japanese are the toughest nut to crack in the game. I have a few strategies that have worked for me, though.

1. CHINA: I strip every man with a gun from the pacific on the first turn and put them in China. On the second turn I have every coastal territory. On the third turn I take at least one non-coastal for the factory bonus. (The rules say you don't get a multiplier in china until you take a non-coastal). I also start one transport in production, and one research. Research goes to INFANTRY evasion.

2. Keep working China. Stockpile supplies for the coming nightmare with the WA. Notice, if you take a province that borders Chunking that the AI will pull back half of their forward troops to cover it. (*note: last night for some odd reason the AI Russians attacked me in Manchuria during winter 1940. It blew my mind. The freaking AI Russians preemptively attacked me).

3. Pearl Harbor, Japanese Navy strategies:
The US carrier force is South of Pearl, you must isolate and destroy it. You need 2 transports in the square with Pearl to invade properly. Remember, use your u-boats and a couple of light fleets to cut off the US transport resupply chain from the west coast or you will fail. In my game last night I caught the US fleet in Pearl and successfully invaded it, killing them all. Basically, this is a power move...use every thing you can bring to bear on those beaches and every carrier air unit you can find. Make sure you have enough supplies to get your fleet home the next turn. If you don't succeed don't stick around! You have to get away and put your capitol ships in port or you will run out of supplies.

The same turn you need to take resources in Indonesia. You can do this with militia. Remember to ship supplies down there, too, for repairs. If you tie up the US navy in the east Pacific you can take out Australia fairly quickly. Come in through Darwin, bring as many supplies as you can and at least 2 infantry, an artillery, and a fighter. Attack two pronged around the coast.

4. At this point China is a nightmare and you really wish you'd never embarked upon an adventure there. Tough Luck. Do your best to conquer the rest of Southeast asia. I have yet to successfully push west to india.

Vini, vidi, velcro.
(I came, I saw, I stuck around.)
Post #: 1
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/4/2005 6:10:40 PM   
artgrtr8u

Maybe I read wrong, but I thought the rules said China didn't get a factory bonus until Japan took a non-coastal territory.

< Message edited by artgrtr8u -- 4/4/2005 6:13:42 PM >

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 2
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/4/2005 6:13:56 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your post. Doesn't going inland in China trigger the loss of your three free resources from the USA?

Also, the Soviet intervention may have been prompted by a low Manchuria garrison. You have to keep 3 infantry units there to prevent Soviet activation.

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 3
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/4/2005 7:47:14 PM   
Troutworld

See how much I learn from you guys? I think I did evacuate Manchuria. I'll have to re-read the china factory rule later.

One thing is for sure...If you can trap and destroy the US fleet it then takes 4 or 5 turns for the US to mount a successful counter offensive in the Pacific. The Japanese Player can clear out all those lovely transports.

And, If you can take the Panama canal the US is screwed, blued and tattoed.

Anyone ever taken the canal? Does Japan have enough transports to reach it?

Vini, vidi, velcro.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/5/2005 1:48:16 AM   
Dalwin

For Japan even more than Germany it is all about resources.

I would have to disagree with any early move in China beyond the coast other than bombing. Not only do you lose the 3 per turn from the U.S., but even with this gift you don't have enough resources to run much more than half your factories.

Other than that and the Manchurian blunder, your strategy sounds a lot better than the fiasco I had the one time I tried to play Japan.

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 5
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/5/2005 1:52:31 AM   
Dalwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Troutworld

See how much I learn from you guys? I think I did evacuate Manchuria. I'll have to re-read the china factory rule later.

One thing is for sure...If you can trap and destroy the US fleet it then takes 4 or 5 turns for the US to mount a successful counter offensive in the Pacific. The Japanese Player can clear out all those lovely transports.

And, If you can take the Panama canal the US is screwed, blued and tattoed.

Anyone ever taken the canal? Does Japan have enough transports to reach it?

I think to take the canal you would have to:

a) not use a chain of tranports but instead load supplies onto supply transports that move along with the troop transports. This is a two turn trip from most Japanese bases.

b) If there is even a single militia defending the canal, you would probably fail due to the long range invasion penalty. I think you would need to find something undefended nearby to use as a staging area.

c) I assume (or at least hope) that the AI would react immediately and harshly to push you out of Panama. If it were me, I'd even push through Mexico if necessary to retake the canal.

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 6
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/5/2005 7:45:28 PM   
carnifex

My Japan tips (vs AI):

1) Take the one Chinese province with the resource in it the first turn and repair it. Do not use overkill. A bombarding light ship, 2 planes, the non-militia adjacent ground forces and maybe 2 amphibious Artys should do it. Take the other non-coastal province on turn 2.

2) Do not use militia in any attacks ever.

3) Start moving all your infantry and good units to Indochina. Leave 3 militia in Manchuria, 1 militia in the northernmost China province, and maybe 2 inf, 2mil and an arty in the 2 southern ones.

4) Move all your air to southern China and bombard their main stack. All your air means all your air - rebase your Carrier Air to China as well (sans carriers). Your goal is to reduce that stack to around size 4 by Summer 41. If you don't the Chinese will launch an attack the turn after you declare war on the WA and likely take your province. Bombard them even on turn 1 (you will only be able to get a couple of airplanes in there - but do it anyway).

5) You should plan on declaring war in Fall41 or Winter42 (I prefer F41). You should be able to take the entire southern resource area in one turn and repair it. To this effect you will need 130 supply to repair the resources and another 10 for repairing railroads, IN ADDITION to any supply expended in the attacks. You should be building 30-45 supply every turn and sending it to Indochina (and some to southern china to feed your bombers). You will also need about 12 ground units in Indochina to take all your objectives. You CAN carry out this operation without building a single extra transport, but it will be close. Use your Paras to take one of the resource islands. After you capture everything, repair it all. Then use the remaining strat move capacity to withdraw the invading forces except for whatever garrison you want to leave. Send those guys to Siam or thereabout as they will have to trek north as a force, lest the WA destroy them piecemeal. Move supplies in with them - there are no RR there.

5) Never use a supply point you absolutely do not have to. You are setting up for the main attack but you have time. Wait for next turn to move that piece using strat movement.

6) Strip supply from all your islands except for 1 supply point on each, and 3 supply on any base that has an adjacent light ship. If you also strip the ground units, be aware that you might not have time to replace them, which you will HAVE to. Whatever you do, make sure you do it all in the first 2 turns because you will definitely need all those outlying transports to move your main army and supplies to Indochina.

IMPORTANT: Since your convoy system is so important, make sure the VERY FIRST THING you do each turn is to move your transports where you need them. Once you use them, they are stuck in place.

7) Build Tac, Fighters, Torpedo Planes, a Transport or two, a couple of Artys and some Inf. Above all build supply. Don't worry about research at all until after the WA war starts and you can see what they are researching. Remember that you have one Carrier in the build spiral - make sure there is a plane for that Carrier when it arrives.

8) You only need 4 transports to maintain your economy. Protect each such zone with at least one Light Ship and 2 airplanes. The turn after you declare war on the WA you will see at least 3 subs off the coast of northern Japan. Be prepared to deal with those - it's easier now than when they scatter. The WA will send SURFACE forces to screw with your transports unless you cordon off the adjacent zones with active airbases (they like to sneak in through the zones just south of the Philippine Islands). Remember to rebase some naval forces to Singapore - it will be a lot cheaper to respond from there versus any transport raiders.

9) India - can be taken, requires comittment as you will face armor, arty, and air units.

10) Continue to bomb the chinese anytime their stack size = your stack size.

11) Remember to leave at least 2 supply in every Chinese province or any province threatened by partisans. The one supply point will be used to fight the partisans and the other will supply the defense against any subsequent attack.

12) To definitely kill Percy and his troublesome fortress, you will probably need 2 Arty, 3 Inf, a Battleship, and several Tac. Don't skimp on Singapore - it has to fall on the first attack as it is a vital RR supply route.

13) Manilla can be taken by one inf, one light ship, and one or two air. the other provinces should be taken next turn - they are useless except as later air bases.

14) After the WA war starts, research whatever the WA are ahead in, but mostly concentrate on Fighters and Tac Bombers, and throw some in to Carrier Planes. If you are going to win the war, it won't be in some Midway-like far off pure Carrier engament, it will be by a massive application of Land Based Air toward a WA Carrier stack that moves just one zone too close at the wrong time. The WA have to come to you - don't make it easy for them by sending our your forces far away to get slaughtered.

15) It's possible to fight and win the war without moving a single carrier out of port. Same with BB's - you need one for Singapore as shore bombardment, maybe one more for Java (remember to retire them to Singapore at the end of the turn) but aside from that...

16) Pearl Harbor. Well personally I'm against it because currently the surprise rule is broken so it's a pretty worthless attack. Once it's fixed maybe, but it's still a heavy supply cost for the probable results. Besides, who cares how many BB's you sink, there will always be 2 more built for every one you send to the bottom.

(These tips assume a historical strategy - meaning no war against the Soviets and no rampage through India, no invasion of Hawaii or Australia, that sort of thing - also my current AI settings are 200 transport all Allies, 20 supply to SU and 40 supply to WA)

< Message edited by carnifex -- 4/5/2005 8:10:19 PM >

(in reply to Dalwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/6/2005 1:42:23 AM   
aletoledo

quote:

14) After the WA war starts, research whatever the WA are ahead in, but mostly concentrate on Fighters and Tac Bombers, and throw some in to Carrier Planes. If you are going to win the war, it won't be in some Midway-like far off pure Carrier engament, it will be by a massive application of Land Based Air toward a WA Carrier stack that moves just one zone too close at the wrong time. The WA have to come to you - don't make it easy for them by sending our your forces far away to get slaughtered.
I had a really fun game against the AI using carrier planes. when I eventually had everything repaired in the east indies, the AI really wanted to kill my transports. I positioned my carriers around the phillipines and the AI started to send small raiding parties (small as in 3 carriers, 2-3 BB and assorted cruisers), but because I had upgraded my carrier air, the 2 carriers I used against them gradually wore them down by the reprisal attacks against their carriers. then when their main stack of 7 BB and 5 carriers was worn to like 2 and 4 respectively, I took my entire stack in for the attack and deciminated them with 5 carriers and 6 BBs. after that they tried to slowly rebuild everything at pearl, but it took too long and ended the game with them unable to oppose anything i did in the pacific.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 8
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/6/2005 5:34:28 AM   
CommC

I haven't actually tried this, but my first inclination for Japanese strategy is to:

1. Take the 2 coastal provinces of China on turns 1 and 2
2. Garrison the chinese provinces with militia to prevent partisan activity.
3. Cancel the carrier under construction and build land based air, especially heavy bombers. Research infantry evasion.
4. Move all available combat forces to Manchuria and attack Russia
5. At about Fall 41 or Wi42, take the SRA and go for the 70 point autovictory by early 43
6. Never under any circumstances attack Pearl Harbor. Try to avoid contact with US forces

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 9
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/7/2005 7:50:00 PM   
Troutworld

I played out a Russia Strategy as japan Last night. As of now, it's 1949 and the game is still going. Japan and Germany have split Russia. All that's left of Russia is Moscow with 38 units in it. The WA control Western Europe from West Germany through France. The US is surrounding Japan. For 4 game years, though, there's been this stalemate as Germany was unable to break into Moscow.

I'm going to play this strategy again with an earlier Japanese attack on Russia. It was so close to falling...so close....but the Germans just ran out of juice and couldn't finish the deal.

Vini, vidi, velcro.

(in reply to CommC)
Post #: 10
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 5:32:59 AM   
CommC

Trout,
As you may already know, even if you take Moscow, Russia won't ever "fall". They never surrender. You need to go for the 70 point autovictory by grabbing the caucasus, southeast asia, and the central Russia resources, whilst preserving your factory capacity in the home counties.

Are you playing with the autovictory turned off?

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 11
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 5:00:21 PM   
Troutworld

Yes, I guess I should turn the autovictory ON or there's really no point in playing.

Vini, vidi, velcro.

(in reply to CommC)
Post #: 12
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 5:00:35 PM   
mavraamides

quote:

I played out a Russia Strategy as japan Last night. As of now, it's 1949 and the game is still going. Japan and Germany have split Russia. All that's left of Russia is Moscow with 38 units in it. The WA control Western Europe from West Germany through France. The US is surrounding Japan. For 4 game years, though, there's been this stalemate as Germany was unable to break into Moscow.

I'm going to play this strategy again with an earlier Japanese attack on Russia. It was so close to falling...so close....but the Germans just ran out of juice and couldn't finish the deal.

I had almost the exact same experience. I think the Russians had 42 units in Moscow so I guess you did a little better! I ended up winning a decisive victory with something like 80 units left on the home island and the WA stalled in Italy and France.

In that game, I started attacking Russia on the first turn.

The thing that killed me was getting cut off from the mainland so I couldn't get any resources. Too bad you can't use heavy bombers to move resources, I think I had 6 fleets of them! I had no navy so even if I built trannies, they would never reach the shore. Not with 6 cariers, 5 heavies, 10 lights parked in front of my ports!

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 13
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 5:11:47 PM   
Troutworld

Yep, but sometimes you can get a tranny into the sea of Japan and get resources for one turn...the the transport gets blown to bits. Still, it pays for itself.

How are you guys getting so many ground units for Japan? 80 units? I never am able to muster more than a handful.

Vini, vidi, velcro.

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 14
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 6:13:00 PM   
mavraamides

quote:

Yep, but sometimes you can get a tranny into the sea of Japan and get resources for one turn...the the transport gets blown to bits. Still, it pays for itself.

How are you guys getting so many ground units for Japan? 80 units? I never am able to muster more than a handful.

When you capture half of Russia, its easy to crank out a bunch of units, you get TON's of resources. Of course, you hit a wall with manpower, but it can be done. BTW, once Russia falls or is confined to just Moscow, China is a layup and now you have even more resources as well as a large, contigous, easily defended territory.

Also, don't forget when you start the game, you have a bunch of islands with inf/arty/militia/AA on them. I usually strip off everything but the militia right from the begining and then withdraw my transports to a more defensible position off the coast of China. Its not like the WA even wants to capture those islands and if they did, 3-4 units aren't going to slow them up much, they are just targets. Better to move them to China/Russia/or the home island where they can be of use.

< Message edited by GordianKnot -- 4/8/2005 6:19:09 PM >

(in reply to Troutworld)
Post #: 15
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/8/2005 7:10:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

I send some of that stuff back out when the US is getting ready to enter teh war as arty and air on islands can casue interdiction points and opfire that can lead to the US taking risks blitzing through them to attack me behind "the outer island chain". They generally die gloriously for the Empereor in short order...but have lead to some good defensive stands by forces behind them.

But agreed, early on they are just wasted sitting out there...Flak in particular becomes crucial in teh end game defending the Home islands agains thte onslught of allied air power. Sending those flak unti to teh home islands pays big dividends and has been teh key to holding out for a draw or marignal vic in games agains the AI (which can be suicidal in pressing air attacks in the end game agaisnt a Flak storm...).

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 4/8/2005 7:15:11 PM >

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 16
RE: Japanese Strategies - 4/9/2005 7:27:33 AM   
CommC

It just goes to show that at some point in the Japanese strategy, you have got convert the resouces gained into a strong navy/ air force that can take on the WA and keep the transport link to the resouce centers intact. I realize this is next to impossible as the WA has huge production capacity.

< Message edited by CommC -- 4/9/2005 7:48:40 PM >

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Japanese Strategies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI