Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Back in Business!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Back in Business! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back in Business! - 5/2/2005 6:23:47 PM   
Wild Bill

Finally, after a year, I've gotten some inspiration for some new work.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/2/2005 6:24:16 PM   
Wild Bill

Look for a new series of scenarios on Korea, the summer of 1950. I've had the help of Goblin, Razz, Massimo R, and Steeler as testers on these four battles.

It was a long hard summer for US and other UN forces as they were forced south by the hard pushing NKPA forces. These scenarios depict some of the desperate fighting, poor equipment and occasional heroism of the soldiers who fought there.

The scenarios include:

Buying Time with Blood
Sacrifical Lambs
The Wolfhounds
The Highest Honor

They cover some of the action from June till the end of August, 1950. We'll keep you posted.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/2/2005 7:24:29 PM   
m10bob

IMHO Korea is long overdue for SPWAW (of any real representation),and who better to correct this than Bill Wilder ?
Col Hackworth was a "Wolfhound" in Korea,(just an Lt as I recall)..Strack troops.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/2/2005 11:39:17 PM   
IBTyrone

Glad you found some inspiration, WB. Good to see you around!

Look forward to the new series!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/3/2005 12:38:54 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

IMHO Korea is long overdue for SPWAW (of any real representation),and who better to correct this than Bill Wilder ?
Col Hackworth was a "Wolfhound" in Korea,(just an Lt as I recall)..Strack troops.

Cool, Bob. I was just thinking of "Hack" also, after seeing the Wolfhounds mentioned. Their story is prominently featured in "About Face".

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/3/2005 1:09:39 AM   
Goblin

"There's some on the left! Keep firing! DAMN!! On the right too!", shouted Sgt Minor above the roar of the .30 calibre machinegun. "They're only a hundred meters out!"

"More ammo!", screamed Cpl Davies as he swung the red hot gun to the right and fired a burst at the wave of enemy infantry. The Communists front rank tumbled, and men leaped over them as they fell to continue forward towards the US positions.

"Last belt!", answered Pvt Matthews as he linked the ammunition together. He then grabbed his Thompson submachine gun and aimed at the enemy...horde. He emptied the weapon, hardly able to miss the teeming mass of screaming North Koreans. "Damn it!", answered Davies, "where the hell is our reserve?!"

"Just keep firing", ordered Minor. He glanced to his left, and could see third squad fifty meters away go under in a wave of men, rifle-butts, bayonets, and grenades. He just managed to get to his Thompson as the enemy infantry closed the last few meters to the US position and then there was no time for anything resembling thought.

One hundred fifty meters to the rear, Lieutenant Edwards watched his platoon being destroyed. He turned to the 60mm mortar crew and told them to fix bayonets. Not one appeared surprised as they complied with the order, their mortars useless without ammunition. Edwards checked to make sure his M1 Carbine was ready for action, and then started forward towards the remains of his platoon. "Let's go", was all he said.

I still have trouble sleeping guys! These are really good. Get your helmets on!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/3/2005 9:34:58 AM   
Randy

Wild Bill, your just awesome, you never quit! I bet you have dreams of new scenarios to give us! Speaking of Korea, have you seen the new Osprey Order of Battle book on US forces in the Korean War? I never realized we had so many troops there (I haven't studied Korea much yet). Thanks for the update!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 7
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/3/2005 3:22:30 PM   
Wild Bill

Thank you gentlemen, one and all. Nice depiction of the battle, Goblin! Who were these GI's fighting? Sounds like PLA forces around the Chosin.

You are too kind Randy. And many thanks for the update on the Osprey book. Do you remember the title. I'll order it at once. Is it by Rottmann? I'll bet it is.

To all of you, Tyrone, Bob, Gunny, Goblin and Leatherneck, the encouragement is much appreciated.

I'll look forward to your feedback, fellas.

And yes, got more scenarios in my head and heart than I'll ever get done in this lifetime!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 8
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/3/2005 7:12:46 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill
Who were these GI's fighting?

Me!

That's from either the first or third that you had us test, lol! I still see it when I close my eyes...

Goblin

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/4/2005 5:58:09 AM   
Randy

Wild Bill here is that info regarding the new Osprey books: Battle Orders Series-US Army Forces in the Korean War 1950-53, by Donald Boose. Another one you might be interested in WB is Battle Orders Series-US Special Warfare Units in the Pacific Theater 1941-45, and this one is by Rottman. WB, I'm sure these will give additional scenario ideas!!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/5/2005 6:42:55 PM   
Fradar

Good to see you back in business Bill. looking forward to playing your scenarios and discovering what surprises you have prepared.
Thanks

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 11
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/5/2005 11:03:42 PM   
Wild Bill

Many thanks Fradar. I have your new maps and am excited about what treats you have for me too!

Now to the business at hand:

These scenarios should be ready for you in another week or so. I will be posting them at the Wargamer.com in the scenario depot section.

I'll advise you as each one goes up. It won't be just one package but four separate scenarios, posted about a week apart.

If the interest is sufficient, we can continue with more scenarios for this time period or perhaps another that can work well with SPWAW and its OOBs.

So if you do want to see this promoted and continued, let me know. Without support of the gamers, it really is not worth the effort.

The testers have done a magnificent job and I thank them all! That includes, Rory Gallagher, aka Steeler, Massimo "The Mad Italian" Rocca, Simo Skukko aka Mosh, Eric DiNicola, the infamous Goblin, and Razz, who still prefers to remain known as "Razz."

Watch for the first in the next week or so.

The Kunel

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Fradar)
Post #: 12
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/5/2005 11:29:57 PM   
m10bob

No mines.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/5/2005 11:37:02 PM   
Wild Bill

Not a single MINE in any of the four scenarios. The Americans and South Koreans were retreating so fast that they didn't have much time for mine planting! If we get to late 1951-1953, then we'll see!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 14
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/6/2005 1:25:45 PM   
Fradar

Thanks Bill.
If you enjoy the maps, maybe tou'll enjoy the scenarios based on these maps.
Cheers

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/6/2005 5:48:54 PM   
Wild Bill

I downloaded the maps. I'll look at them today. The only problem so far is that they are kind of scattered throughout the map menu. I'll renumber them so that they appear consecutively. Your scenarios, are they on the Wargamer Scenario Depot?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Fradar)
Post #: 16
RE: A New Series, Korea 1950 from WBW - 5/6/2005 10:03:23 PM   
Fradar

Yes, Bill, they are at the Wargamer's Depot but also in my showcase at SPWaW Depot.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
1st Scenario Posted - 5/13/2005 8:15:58 PM   
Wild Bill

Okay my good men! The first scenario for the Korea Series has been posted today at the Wargamer's Scenario Depot. As soon as it is approved, it will appear in the list of latest scenarios. A second one will go up next week. Be sure and read the designer notes carefully, some important words on just what is happening and what you are to do here.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/

The War in Korea is on!

By the end of June of this year, it will have caught up with us historically, some 55 years ago.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
RE: 1st Scenario Posted - 5/13/2005 8:26:50 PM   
Wild Bill

If you want some background on Korea, and some detail on this fight, go to the Articles Section on the Wargamer.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/buying_time_with_blood/

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
RE: Back in Business! - 5/17/2005 8:17:38 PM   
Wild Bill

I'm very pleased with the response from those who have downloaded the scenario, the first in a series on Korea, "The Forgotten War." It was one that would influence world relations for the next 40 years and worthy of consideration.

Hopefully we will have scenarios eventually dealing with the French, British, Turkish, Australian and South Korean forces.

This is going to be s study in history as well as a lot of fun. I hope you will give this one a try. Just don't upset those tanks as they pass by! You'll need all your strength for the approaching infantry behind them.

Its at the Scenario Depot at the Wargamer site. ANy feedback is always appreciated.

Wild Bill

< Message edited by Wild Bill -- 5/17/2005 8:21:59 PM >

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
RE: Back in Business! - 5/21/2005 6:53:59 AM   
Wild Bill

SCenario #2 is up and running at the Wargamer Scenario Depot. It is "Sacrificial Lambs," the second in the continuing chronological series on the fighting in the long hard summer of 1950. Let me know how it goes with this one.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3971

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
RE: Back in Business! - 5/23/2005 1:16:43 AM   
Wild Bill

A quick note. There is a tiny flaw in the first version of Scenario 400, Buying Time with Blood. I've corrected it. The tanks now will exit. A last minute change left US flags visible on the hills. This confuses the tanks. They won't appear now. You can download it at this address or download it again from the Wargamer Games Depot. It has been corrected there too. My apologies.

It will play fine in the first one, but much better in this revision.

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=58335#58335

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3968

Thanks for your understanding!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
RE: Back in Business! - 5/26/2005 10:18:56 PM   
Wild Bill

Okay....two scenarios now posted and no feedback. That can be good or bad. What I would love to have is your input on the scenarios, if you have tackled them. I wanted to do this to honor those fought in this 55th anniversary. I don't want to put a lot of work into something that is of little interest to you guys.

So, I'll look forward to hearing from you if you can. If the interest is minimal, I may discontinue this.

Don't worry, my feelings won't be hurt. I am still having fun!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
RE: Back in Business! - 5/26/2005 11:10:23 PM   
Terminus

Sir, Colonel Wilder, Sir! Feedback, Sir!

I just downloaded your update to the scenario "Buying Time with Blood" and played it. The biggest problem with it before was, as you yourself noted, the fact that the NK tanks did not properly exit the map.

That problem appears to have been solved now, although the T-34's bunch up something fierce on the exit hex. I don't know if there's a limit to how many units can exit through a given hex per turn.

I did observe one other issue, though. Once the NK infantry arrived, giving my troops something to shoot at, one of the on-map 105mm howitzers took a shot at one of the NK infantry squads. This was nowhere near any of the tanks, but nevertheless one of them opened fire on the howitzer in the NK turn, followed by all the other T-34's letting fly with everything they had. Needless to say, this wasn't positive for the poor dog-faces of TF Smith.

Oh, and I'd like a platoon or two of M16 MGMC's. Then the NK's can human wave attack all they want!

< Message edited by Terminus -- 5/27/2005 1:32:55 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
RE: Back in Business! - 5/26/2005 11:24:36 PM   
Terminus

Another thing. I'd like to see some battles from the Pusan Perimeter. If you continue to follow the 24th Infantry Division, then an obvious candidate could be the First Battle of the Naktong Bulge, which would feature both US Army and Marine troops.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25
RE: Back in Business! - 5/27/2005 7:34:58 AM   
Wild Bill

Thank you Terminus. That is what I needed. Strange, I never saw that happen with the 105s. As to the amount exiting. Any number can exit on one turn. Sometimes five or six of them jump off the map at the same time.

The only thing I can figure on the 105 was that it was seen by the tank. I can't explain it otherwise. I think I remember using it but the tanks never noticed. Strange.

You'll get some M-16s later on, my friend, and you will need them in the Death of the 3/8 coming in the second series, the tragedy of the near annihilation of the 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment by early Chinese intervention (which MacArthur chose to blissfully ignore. Nobody, not even "Chinese laundrymen" were going to mess up his glory.

Two scenarios coming on Pusan defense perimeter. They will be the next two in order. So much more I could have done there, but I don't want to wear you guys out! (G)

The Kunel

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
RE: Back in Business! - 5/27/2005 2:35:54 PM   
Terminus

I just finished "Buying Time with Blood"; despite a 3-to-1 kill ratio in my favour, I couldn't manage more than a draw. Oh well, it's better than what those poor bastards in TF Smith got

Moving on to "Sacrificial Lambs", I noticed in the briefing a mention of an NKPA 4th Division; now, it could be my memory being faulty (very likely), but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Koreans never use the number "4", it having the same connotation in their culture as "13" does in the West.

Other than that, I'm diving into the battle. I can almost smell it; read a quote in a book somewhere from a US veteran who said that his most abiding memory of Korea was the smell caused by the Koreans fertilizing their rice paddies with human feces. Lovely!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
RE: Back in Business! - 5/27/2005 4:42:27 PM   
m10bob

No feedback,eh??..O.K. Col,here's the scoop.....Before you "revised" the 1st scenerio you had given us great advice in your briefing,(to lay low and let the tanks pass)..I had passed the word on to my troops and told them not to fire at those tanks whatsoever and had set their range for "1"..I actually dispersed some of the infantry to better ground soon after the first enemy arty prep fire barrage..
My units reported the sound of oncoming tanks,(just as predicted),and the earth started shaking from their weight near that roadway.
My guys were all obeying orders and not firing,but when the enemy got to the rear limits of my AO,they did an about face and started coming back on my guys!!!(I thought "what the heck kinda dumb*ss exposed himself to the tanks to make this happen!!??"..)
My units started getting clobbered and now the enemy was actually SEEKING my units,still crouched in their holes!!..BAD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was long in reporting this Col,because I thought maybe I had tipped the scale when I had moved those grunts around..
Now I'm glad to se it was not necessarily anything I did,but a flaw from the "rear-echelon" guys!!!().............
BTW,those guys still hold a grudge and are given me the "chicken eye" and I've had to "liquor-em-up" since that last fiasco..Hope they'll be willing to do this all over again for me!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 28
RE: Back in Business! - 5/27/2005 6:05:46 PM   
Terminus

I've started on "Sacrificial Lambs" now. I was surprised at the relative ineffectiveness of the WP 60mm mortar rounds. I mean, they exploded very comprehensively, but achieved no more than a Pin on the NK unit they hit.

Is it because they're just teeny little 60mm rounds, and not big ol' 155mm's?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 29
RE: Back in Business! - 5/27/2005 6:48:28 PM   
Wild Bill

I appreciate very much the input, Terminus and Bob. Good job.

If I remember correctly, you need better than a three to one margin to get a minor victory. I think head to head its three to one.

Actually, as you say, a draw is not bad considering what you faced and compared to what happened to the real Task Force Smith that fateful day in July.

Your reports are quite "descriptive" and give me a good picture of what was happening on the battlefield and your reactions to it, much as the historical leaders felt, I'm sure.

Of course, we must all keep in mind the mental condition of those GIs who went into battle with "victory fever" or total ignorance of what real war is. Their brutal awakening was often at the cost of their own life. A determined, well-trained, well-equipped North Korean army was sweeping allied troops before it and the Allies were on the run.

That can definitely ruin your day.

BUT, be of good cheer. In the next scenario as the lines of the Pusan Perimeter are drawn in blood, you will get the opportunity to counterattack and catch the enemy by surprise, with your "Wolfhounds." Now its time for some payback. You should kick some butt in this one and you know I wouldn't lie to you

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Back in Business! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI