Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Round robin play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Round robin play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 2:52:55 PM   
panzermeyer73

Will round robin play for major powers be an option?
Post #: 1
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 2:56:37 PM   
obermeister

I think what you're talking about is called a "hotseat" game.  I'm pretty sure they're planning on that.

(in reply to panzermeyer73)
Post #: 2
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 6:45:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzermeyer73

Will round robin play for major powers be an option?

I do not recognize the term as applied to war games. In other one-on-one games it means that a group of players play one-on-one against all the other players, so if there are 8 people in the group, each of them play 7 games. Is that what you are asking about?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 3
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 7:35:27 PM   
MajorDude

The very nature of the wif board game implicates that non-phasing players can be involved in this or that aspect of the phasing player's game 'turn'/round/impulse.

Mwif, as I understand it, gives players the possibility to "automate" a certain number of these 'reactions' so the non-phasing player is not required to intervene as much as in the boardgame. This was done in part to facilitate pbem and other game types, and is essential in moving forward with 'AIO' - that is the computer playing as one of the powers in the game.

So, even though all the powers on the same side 'take turns' per each phase that applies to their impulse choice (land, naval, air, combined), it is not really what I would call a round robin game.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 7:52:05 PM   
panzermeyer73

I guess hotseat is a better term, meaning multiple players using the same computer but taking separate turns.

Post #: 5
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 8:13:21 PM   
MajorDude

Yeah, in fact, I am playing cwif that way right now - just to have some fun with it while mwif gets even more polish and shine.

I don't know if mwif uses exactly the same 'sequencing' as cwif, but once you get used to it, it works pretty well. I do not know, however, how easy it would be to have 6 real players actually popping up and down out from in front of the computer for a long game.

I think 'hotseat' also serves as the basis for 'multiplayer' that many players will use via pbem, etc.

It is good fun though to play it through as all the major powers to get a good grasp of the 'globality' of the affair as well as the timing of events.

Post #: 6
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 9:09:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzermeyer73

I guess hotseat is a better term, meaning multiple players using the same computer but taking separate turns.

Yes, if what you meant was two players playing against each other using the same computer, I have been using the terms Hotseat and Head-to-Head to describe this mode of play. None of these terms seem to be standardized in the industry (computer war games), so we just fumble around when trying to communicate with each other.

For example, I have coined the acronyms AIO to describe an AI Opponent (who plays against a human player) and AIA to describe an AI Assistant (who plays on the same side as a human player). And then I use the word Solitaire to describe when a person plays both sides, without any AI participating. These are my conventions, and forum readers get confused by them from time to time - but it is the best I have been able to come up with [and it took me a couple of tries to get these clearly defined].

And to answer your original question, MWIF has the following modes of play:
Solitaire,
One player versus the AIO,
Hotseat/Head-to-head,
PBEM (two players only)
Netplay (2 to 6 players, with up to 3 per side)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 6/22/2009 9:11:30 PM >

Steve

Post #: 7
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 9:25:58 PM   
Anendrue

OK Steve can of worms time. I am not sure I remember correctly and I can not find a post on my question. Is solitaire limited to Axis vs Allies or can you play just one major county on each side allowing the AIA to operate the rest of the countries not being played on each side?

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 8
RE: Round robin play? - 6/22/2009 10:56:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

OK Steve can of worms time. I am not sure I remember correctly and I can not find a post on my question. Is solitaire limited to Axis vs Allies or can you play just one major county on each side allowing the AIA to operate the rest of the countries not being played on each side?

No AIA for initial product release other than for processing Standing Orders for PBEM.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 9
RE: Round robin play? - 6/23/2009 2:58:43 AM   
Anendrue

Thanks for the update.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Round robin play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI