Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Big Show

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The Big Show Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Big Show - 9/15/2005 5:04:42 PM   
TheBlackhorse

When are we finally going over the top with this game?

The troops are getting restless.

Some minor trench raids and skirmishes have us all anticipating the coming offensive. Rumor has it we will have a new weapon at our disposal when it finally comes. Certainly, this new wonder weapon will enable us to break through the enem'y lines and send in the cavalry to ensure ultimate victory.

The time has come to launch the offensive. Come on you generals, give us the order to attack! Let's get this stunt going!
Post #: 1
RE: The Big Show - 9/15/2005 5:19:27 PM   
Moltke71

Matrix has very exacting standards. They're making Frank give us a superior product. He's hard at work.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to TheBlackhorse)
Post #: 2
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 1:40:42 AM   
Fred98

Ultimately I understand the game is at Corps level - each counter representing a Corps.

At a level that high, many of us wargamers who might have had an interest have lost it.

Its not trench warfare. If you amend the artwork on the counters it could be any time period.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 3
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 1:57:48 AM   
TheBlackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Ultimately I understand the game is at Corps level - each counter representing a Corps.

At a level that high, many of us wargamers who might have had an interest have lost it.

Its not trench warfare. If you amend the artwork on the counters it could be any time period.

I'm not so sure you speak for "many gamers". I, for one, eagerly aniticipate the arrival of this one. Have you played any of Frank's other games (ACW, RFSTAII, COTD)? If you have, you know his games deliver and have all the necessary elements for the subject period.

It's too bad this title has seemed to languish over the past year.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 4
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 2:26:59 AM   
Hanal

I do not know how anyone can pass judgement on a game that is not even released yet....the only issue right now concerns how the game is coming along.

Post #: 5
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 3:21:28 PM   
Caranorn

quote:

I'm not sure what level of game you'd like to see. To me, the corps level is pretty logical for a grand strategic game of WWI. Divisions might work too, but would make for more work (2-3 divisions per corps plus at that scale logically the corps attachments..., take a look at GRD's WWI games (wonder where I put mine as they are not with the Europa series on my shelves) and not much gain). Anything smaller is obviously no longer grand strategic.

As to trench warfare, WWI was not just that (the fighting in Russia, Turkey, Palestine and Mesopotamia was quite different, and even the first two years in the west and south were far from immobile). In any case, even that can be represented in a corps level game.

So I do have faith that Frank will eventually hand us a great game, the little I've read so far places this game in the no 2 slot of my wishlist (1 is MWiF). And considering how long I've been waiting for a computer version of WiF I will also wait patiently for Frank to hand us a WWI computer game.

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 4:10:04 PM   
Moltke71

If people want to do operational battles of WW I, I recommend TOAW. WW I at lower than corps level would make WitP look like Risk!

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 7
RE: The Big Show - 9/16/2005 11:29:46 PM   
Big B

quote:

Joe 98 isn't all wrong...
I can't say I completely lost interest - but I for one was at first really hoping the scale would have been signifigantly lower.
I would much prefer a WitP type of experience than a corps level....personally I had hoped to be able to at least command regiments and battalions (each of which would be configured at squad level as in WitP).
Exhausting and taking years to play? That's my dream come true for a WWI West Front or All Front game

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 8
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 12:17:39 AM   
Hanal

You have to crawl before you can walk....I find it amazing that with the dearth of WWI titles out on the market, there are actually gamers out there who now are becoming picky concerning the type of WWI game they want....let's get this game out of the blocks, as Frank intended, before starting up wish lists for GoA2....

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 9
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 1:03:18 AM   
TheBlackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

You have to crawl before you can walk....I find it amazing that with the dearth of WWI titles out on the market, there are actually gamers out there who now are becoming picky concerning the type of WWI game they want....let's get this game out of the blocks, as Frank intended, before starting up wish lists for GoA2....

No kidding. In any event, having played all of Frank's previous games, I am very confident this will be on par with the others.

Also worth noting is that paths of Glory the highly acclaimed and most excellent board game covering the Great War was at the Army level, with some Corps thrown in, and it worked exceptionally well.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 10
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 2:11:52 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

I would much prefer a WitP type of experience than a corps level....personally I had hoped to be able to at least command regiments and battalions (each of which would be configured at squad level as in WitP).
Exhausting and taking years to play? That's my dream come true for a WWI West Front or All Front game

A dream come true

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 11
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 2:35:34 AM   
pzgndr

Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War is about to be released later this month. It has an excellent editor. Game scale is 7.5-mile hexes, 1-week turns, and divisional scale. You can have independent bns/regts/bdes, and divisions can breakdown/reform into 2 bdes or 3 regts. If you have a decent WWI boardgame of this scale with complete OOB, then you should be able to adapt it to AGW and create some good operational-level scenarios. Perhaps even a campaign game.

I am still waiting for news about GOA and looking forward to its release. As a grand strategy WWI game, it should be fine with corps units. Why is there no news about this game???

Post #: 12
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 7:49:29 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War is about to be released later this month. It has an excellent editor. Game scale is 7.5-mile hexes, 1-week turns, and divisional scale. You can have independent bns/regts/bdes, and divisions can breakdown/reform into 2 bdes or 3 regts. If you have a decent WWI boardgame of this scale with complete OOB, then you should be able to adapt it to AGW and create some good operational-level scenarios. Perhaps even a campaign game.

I am still waiting for news about GOA and looking forward to its release. As a grand strategy WWI game, it should be fine with corps units. Why is there no news about this game???

SOmething Ive thought about myself.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 13
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 9:31:02 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

SOmething Ive thought about myself.

I am really in the dark about that game...is it a PC Game ?

B

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: The Big Show - 9/17/2005 10:43:01 PM   
wodin

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 15
RE: The Big Show - 9/18/2005 12:49:48 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/

Ahhhhhh I see!

Yep, that could be adapted for anyone ambitious enough.
Making the OOB & Mod will be a hobby in itself!

Thanks for the heads up wodin!

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 9/18/2005 1:41:54 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The Big Show Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI