Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Many questions!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Many questions!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 4:52:38 PM   
Capitaine

Wow, this is an amazing development.

Does this impact development of Matrix's "Combined Arms" game, since they are so similar in style and scope?

Is Norm Koger going to be involved in this rebirth? (I hope so.)

What is the initial plan for this game? Release as is, or modify/enhance the game in certain areas?

More details please.
Post #: 1
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 6:37:53 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Does this impact development of Matrix's "Combined Arms" game, since they are so similar in style and scope?

They are not similar in style and scope.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 2
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 6:53:26 PM   
David Heath

Hello Everyone

No not in any way. We 100% commited to release Combined Arms. This game is on a different scale and system.

David

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 3
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 7:02:08 PM   
Don Maddox

For more in-depth details on exactly what is happening, see SZO's interview with Matrix president David Heath.

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=571&page=1&cat=52

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 4
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 7:51:51 PM   
Fidel_Helms

This is great news. Do you have any ideas on what sorts of code or feature updates will be implemented for TOAW? Norm used to reference having a massive "tinker list" of things that he would liked to have added, but didn't because it was no longer worth it.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 5
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 8:25:30 PM   
Pippin

I do remember hearing years ago that Koger was wanting to do some fixes and a few things with TOAW, but Talonsoft refused and kept the code locked up in the safe.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Fidel_Helms)
Post #: 6
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 9:23:27 PM   
Trigger Happy

I bought COW recently (had woty...), I hope I won't have to buy the game once again. Or else you could just make a press release asking me to just **** myself.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 7
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 9:28:47 PM   
JJKettunen

It depends on what you mean by ****.

I'm afraid on this niche market new investors should get some profit for their efforts...

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Trigger Happy)
Post #: 8
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 9:38:01 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trigger Happy

I bought COW recently (had woty...), I hope I won't have to buy the game once again. Or else you could just make a press release asking me to just **** myself.

Of course you don't HAVE to, you may just choose to because it's better. Or choose not to to avoid the pain of insertion

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 9
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 10:02:29 PM   
Trigger Happy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Of course you don't HAVE to, you may just choose to because it's better. Or choose not to to avoid the pain of insertion

It will hurt any ways. Some options more than the others, I agree.

It's a good thing for the sure, just don't make it a 50$ game.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 10
RE: Many questions!! - 10/6/2005 10:20:29 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Well, frankly, Norm is a designer who can have my 40 $ if he just asks, he deserved it *already*.

(40$, not 50$ is planned price for TOAW-Matrix).

If 40 bucks per year is the price to have TOAW engine maintained and updated, I am all for it dude.

(Same goes for Panther Games HTTR engine, WITP or any other wargame with lasting effect.)

O.

Post #: 11
RE: Many questions!! - 10/7/2005 1:22:08 AM   
Praepositus

Thanks! I have been waiting for this for years. I have only a couple of suggestions:

1. TOAW:COW's scen editor will only allow so many location names ( I think the number is around 800, but when I design some games this # is not enough)- can you change it so that location names are not limited?

2. Same thing with forces- maybe a limit of 3000 per side instead of 2000?

3. Will you solicit for new scenarios before you re-release?

I hope you will do a new game with the same scope as TOAW:COW, and I would gladly pay for a new game to get it (even if an insertion is necessary). I think it's a wonderful platform but it could have so much more now that technology has advanced.

Again guys, thanks. It's nice to see someone cares about the traditional wargamer. Just please finish it in six weeks so I can have it for Christmas. :-) (just kidding)

Praepositus

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 12
RE: Many questions!! - 10/7/2005 6:03:47 PM   
coralsaw

What Oleg said! Norm is up there.

Good news Matrix!

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to Praepositus)
Post #: 13
RE: Many questions!! - 10/8/2005 12:18:48 AM   
lancerunolfsson

I'm with Oleg $40.00 - 50.00 a year is not much to pay to keep a game improving. I bought all of the TOAW's except WOTY and did not feel shafted in the least. If I compare it to the Hundreds (Thousands?) of dollars worth of board games I have bought to open up a couple of times and go WOW COOL then close back up because I am to lazy to read the rules. Compared to that the play value of TOAW is outstanding per dollar. Another way to look at it is I'm willing occasionally to pay up to $30.00 for some obscure VHS tape or DVD that will not show up at Hollywood video to rent, then I might watch that once every couple of years. Why are computer gamers (as apposed to us old hands (gaming since the 60's) so freaking cheap;^) )

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 14
RE: Many questions!! - 10/8/2005 12:55:16 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

Very true. I remember seeing the original TOAW box in a shop just after learning that I had to spend a month in the hospital (1998), and I bought it, installed it on my laptop, and that game was my best companion during the aliment. So, maybe I'm biased, but I only have fond memories

I bought TOAW 2 and COW, and I played the latter until the CD almost worn out. Actually, I played Bob Cross' "Campaign for North Africa 40-43" scenario just this summer, while reading a book on the real campaign.

Should an improved TOAW (not only bugfixes and changes, but a radical work on the source code) cost $100, I would pay them - it would only be a fraction of the gaming hours this game gave to me anyway. Just imagine that for Max Payne 2 (which I liked) I shelled $39 only to finish it in 15 hours.

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 15
RE: Many questions!! - 10/8/2005 1:30:41 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancerunolfsson
Why are computer gamers (as apposed to us old hands (gaming since the 60's) so freaking cheap;^) )

That's a good question.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 16
RE: Many questions!! - 10/8/2005 1:50:15 PM   
Pippin

quote:

It's highly unlikely there'll be a major rewrite for several months at a minimum.

Now I am curious, who at MG is going to do the actual re-write.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Post #: 17
RE: Many questions!! - 10/8/2005 4:49:47 PM   
Mantis

I'm certain more information should be forthcoming soon.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 18
RE: Many questions!! - 10/11/2005 3:18:01 AM   
Bombur

quote:

Naval simulation, the event limit, the supply limit, and half a dozen other things ARE serious problems.

-Good point, and the air engine please!!!!!!
Post #: 19
RE: Many questions!! - 10/16/2005 2:28:18 AM   
Jeremy Mac Donald

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Well, frankly, Norm is a designer who can have my 40 $ if he just asks, he deserved it *already*.

(40$, not 50$ is planned price for TOAW-Matrix).

If 40 bucks per year is the price to have TOAW engine maintained and updated, I am all for it dude.

(Same goes for Panther Games HTTR engine, WITP or any other wargame with lasting effect.)

O.

Oh I agree - just put me on the subscriber list...in fact you can do a direct withdrawal from my account every year when you send me the updated version.

Necesse est multos timeat quem multi timent

"He whom many fear, fears many"

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 20
RE: Many questions!! - 10/16/2005 4:06:56 AM   
Jeremy Mac Donald

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

quote:

Naval simulation, the event limit, the supply limit, and half a dozen other things ARE serious problems.

-Good point, and the air engine please!!!!!!

What do yiou mean by an air engine? It already has a passable one as far as I am concerned. What would you like to see?

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 21
RE: Many questions!! - 10/16/2005 10:17:18 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Mac Donald
What do yiou mean by an air engine? It already has a passable one as far as I am concerned. What would you like to see?

One could set areas of operations for each air unit. For example in Colin's Seelowe you could base aircraft in Wales to cover the fleet in the Irish Sea without having them fly off to the Home Counties to get shot down by the Luftwaffe's single-engined fighters.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Jeremy Mac Donald)
Post #: 22
RE: Many questions!! - 10/16/2005 11:09:52 PM   
macgregor

quote:

One could set areas of operations for each air unit. For example in Colin's Seelowe you could base aircraft in Wales to cover the fleet in the Irish Sea without having them fly off to the Home Counties to get shot down by the Luftwaffe's single-engined fighters.

Would a simpler solution not be to set a range umbrella for each air unit. Perhaps even have a global range for all units as well. The nice thing about the air operations is that they don't take up too much focus. There's a school of thought that operating areas would work for naval units as well. I'm inclined to think the better idea would be for a naval reserve movement that could move and support other units.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 23
RE: Many questions!! - 10/17/2005 12:48:36 AM   
Jeremy Mac Donald

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Seems ood to argue with you here but anyway...

Thats to complex IMO, you'd have to have some way of inputting parimiters. Maybe I could see something where you tell a plane not to go beyond a certian range in performing its duties but that would be as far as I would want to take the planes in terms of operational orders.

Post #: 24
RE: Many questions!! - 10/17/2005 1:31:43 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor
Would a simpler solution not be to set a range umbrella for each air unit. Perhaps even have a global range for all units as well.

This wouldn't cut it. I want that squadron of Spitfires to patrol sixty hexes west, into the Irish Sea, and zero hexes east, in the direction of German air superiority.

I'm envisioning a simple tool whereby one gets a large view and drags an elipse over the intended area of operations. You could do this for multiple units at once- or you could ignore the tool altogether and stick with the existing system.

I appreciate that there is beauty in simplicity, but there is a genuine need for this in some scenarios.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/17/2005 1:33:24 AM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 25
RE: Many questions!! - 10/17/2005 1:33:49 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Seems ood to argue with you here but anyway...

I'd be more than happy to take this discussion back over to TDG.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Jeremy Mac Donald)
Post #: 26
RE: Many questions!! - 10/17/2005 5:07:04 PM   
Mantis

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

I'm envisioning a simple tool whereby one gets a large view and drags an elipse over the intended area of operations. You could do this for multiple units at once- or you could ignore the tool altogether and stick with the existing system.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking. You could also set the area of the elipse, with a smaller elipse having a more concentrated cover.

Post #: 27
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Many questions!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI