Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russo-Japanese War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Russo-Japanese War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 8:12:29 PM   
sabre100

Hey Matrix -

From all the news posts out there it seems you guys are in talk with Norm Kroger and various other developers that did the Talonsoft games how about talking with Norm to finish and publish his Russo-Japanese War game. This game looks good and it would be nice to see Matrix publish it.

http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/RJW.html
Post #: 1
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 8:29:28 PM   
mlees

I still have my "Great Naval Battles, Vol 1 thru 5" CD's. The link above reminds me of those. Nice games.

I would like to see more on these lines.

More extensive data base (including more nationalities) for "what if" fan based scenerios.

Linked scenerios and campaigns. There are board games that allowed you to play a fleet commander of a theatre, and you plotted movement of you fleets trying to get a lucky intercept: http://www.strategypage.com/strategypagegamestore/mediterranean.asp

Nice artwork in that title. Anyway, a computerised version of that type with the 3d modeling of the OP's game would be cool!

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 2
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 9:15:26 PM   
Nikademus

god i hope not

the original GNB was fun but the following titles were pretty much awful and Vol V was one of the worst products i have had the misfortune of buying....a total money making ploy, sloppy and shodily contructed. Even the ship graphics were terrible and half arsed.

Redo Gary Grigsby's "Warship" series.....infinately superior to GNB

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 3
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 9:33:59 PM   
mlees

Well, when I said that I wanted to see these titles redone, I meant graphically as well as database-wise...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 4
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 9:45:55 PM   
Nikademus

I dont think even a 'redone' could make these games viable. This is largely because I am against RTS designs when it comes to tactical naval combat. The Fighting Steel project makes for a good example. As released, it was a turkey almost on the level of GNB, but as of version 10.0 it has been turned into a viable naval combat simulator instead of the arcade game it used to be.

But there's still a basic problem. Because the game works in "real time" (vs. turns) you end up sitting there....watching the ship of your choice (unless your zooming out in which case everything is indistinct or unless your fighting off the 2D map) fire.....fire, splashes, maybe take a hit....fire. fire. The end result is, "Yawn"

Dont get me wrong....i'm a major fan of tactical naval combat, but i have to admit, when it comes to fighting a WWI or II naval battle in real time.....it tends to be a bit on the slow side, unless your fighting a close range night knife fight...in which case you then have the opposite problem in that your trying to catch all the action and cant swap between ship views fast enough to take it all in.

Another weakness of FS that was shared by GNB was lack of feedback from the program.
FS will report a "hit" half the time, but often you'll miss it unless your looking at the ship in question forcing frequent pauses of the game while you check ship status. You also dont know what kind of hit, where it hit, whether it penetrated or not etc.....granted a real life commander would not have this info but to be entertaining as a wargame, the user needs it as it's integral to game enjoyment (a big reason why the Steel Panthers series has been so successful for the last decade)

GNB was worse....it never reported shell hits, only torp hits....so you had to watch the 'simulation' view from the bridge and look for telltale explosions on the enemy ship. double yawn.

The only RTS i've ever seen work well was the Combat Mission series for two reasons. The "real time" combat was executed first by the computer and given to the player as a replayable VCR in 60 second increments. You could pause, go forward rewind and catch all the action. Secondly, depending on your Fog of War preference, you could have the game report each hit on your forces or the enemies. Great entertainment and a refreshing alternative to Steel Panther's 2D view.

Some may prefer extreme FOW and 3D real time environments....myself, i'll take turn based 2D display that allows you to catch all the action with FOW elements as an option tailorable to personal tastes.

Sadly i've heard that Gary and company see no profit in a revisit to a tactical WWI/II surface wargame. I live in hope though. I still play Warship on an Apple II emulator. Talk about needing a facelift though....

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 10/7/2005 9:47:02 PM >

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 5
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 9:57:41 PM   
mlees

Hmmm. Interesting read, and you make good observational points. I must caveat my preceding posts with the disclaimer that GNB was the ONLY tactical naval combat games I ever owned. I read poor reviews on Fighting Steel, so I never bought it.

GNB had it's quirks, but since it was all I had, I made do! For example, I would not fight the long range gun duels at 1x speed, but more like 2x or even 4x for ships with slower rates of fire. I would occassionally pause the game to review the damage I was receiving. I had a problem with the AI "taking" control of my guns and constantly changing targets... I never figured out a solution for that...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 6
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 10:05:11 PM   
Nikademus

I must have wasted hundreds of hours playing Gary's Warship and Battlecruiser on my old Atari 400 system. You can actually still find the program as an emulator program though be warned....we're talking 1986 graphics here its a bit dated....ok alot dated

If you liked GNB, i would actually recommend Fighting Steel now. Compared to GNB it is greatly superior and as mentioned, NWS corrected the worst of the faults. (Some of my novels written on their website may have helped....)

I was able to get them to trash the whole "hit point" system that made the game so arcade like so now smaller ships or less armored ships dont sink now within 5 minutes of a BB or cruiser opening fire on them. An improved actual "progressive flooding" system was implemented and the naval effect balistics were rewritten.

You do get more info feedback from the game vs GNB and they even created a "gunnery log" file that you can view at the end of the battle which shows every hit, where it hit, and whether it penetrated or not. Unfortunately though, you can only view the file "after" the battle concludes.

Oh....and its a free download too I like it now.....but i still would prefer a return to a turn based system that gives me the type of feedback that SP does.

Just do a google search for "Fighting Steel Project" and you'll find em.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 7
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 11:35:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

Our arrangement with Norm to work with us on TOAW is strictly a single contract and does not extend to any other titles or arrangements. If anything changes on that in the future, we will certainly let you know.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/7/2005 11:43:29 PM   
Nikademus

If you could convince Gary to redo Warship/Battlecruiser Erik, i might offer to par down my novels and thereby not crash the Matrix servers........

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/8/2005 12:05:33 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

If anything changes on that in the future,

I play Counter Strike since Beta 5.5 and there is only one command I remember it should come in here :

"go go go !!!"

Post #: 10
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/8/2005 4:17:41 AM   
mlees

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

Our arrangement with Norm to work with us on TOAW is strictly a single contract and does not extend to any other titles or arrangements. If anything changes on that in the future, we will certainly let you know.

Regards,

- Erik

Sorry. I had written my first post in this thread as a sort of "wish list" of an old wargame that I would like to see updated. As I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of any contractual deal by any game publisher (or even which games are now "freeware" or which are still guarded jealously), my comments need to be received with a grain of salt. Please forgive.

Post #: 11
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/12/2005 12:46:43 AM   
ralf smith

Please tell me if this game is historicaly correct or not. Would it be usefull for studing history of this war

johntvery@operamail.com

johntvery@hotmail.com

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 12
RE: Russo-Japanese War - 10/12/2005 2:31:59 AM   
Tankerace

Hmm, we need to have a bet. Which comes out first, Norm's RJW game or my War Plan Orange RJW scen (If I get to do it, I hope I will).

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to ralf smith)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Russo-Japanese War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote