Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RGW Simple Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RGW Simple Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 8:55:55 AM   
Charles2222

I just dusted off RGW and decided to have another go at trying it. Problem is though I've figured out how to get around a few things that have set me off in the past, I can't get around a MAJOR obstcale, and that is the "step" for the AI player. I thought I've heard people say the first turn, as in many big games, is bad, because of a lot of wait for the AI to start developing how it's going to set things. I'm none too hopeful that's true though, because I must have had to hit the "step" button some 300-500 times for the first reaction turn. Then when the 2nd reaction trun came up it looked like more of the same and I gave up and exited the program. Anyone know a way where you don't have to click a step every blasted time the AI player thinks about moving a unit? It's just ridiculous if there isn't an automated way to hit that step button. I don't have problem waiting on the AI, but no game is worth 500 or more clicks a turn.
Post #: 1
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 10:27:18 AM   
Greyshaft

uh... what is RGW?

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 2
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:12:54 PM   
Charles2222

Russo-German War (41-44)

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 3
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:17:35 PM   
Hanal

RGW is for Schwerpunkt's Russo-German War.......Go to the options menu and make sure CO Execution by Phase is UN-Checked....as rule 2.2.4.4 (whew) states:

SELECTION OF THIS OPTION ENABLES THE COMPUTER OPPONENT TO EXECUTE ALL OPERATIONS PLANNED IN THE CURRENT PHASE ONCE THE NEXT STEP OPERATION IS EXECUTED. SELECTING THE MENU ITEM WHEN A CHECKMARK IS DISPLAYED CAUSES THE OPTION TO BE DISABLED. IN THIS MODE (DISABLED), SELECTING NEXT STEP CAUSES THE COMPUTER OPPONENT TO EXECUTE ONLY THE NEXT (SINGLE) OPERATION IN THE CURRENT PHASE.

A tad confusing, but bottom line, un check the option....

AGW has been released this week and I am eagerly awaiting my copy!

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 10/20/2005 1:22:38 PM >

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 4
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:24:14 PM   
Charles2222

Great JP, thanks! Going over some of the help source it looked like the author was even annoyingly efficient at times to describe things in the game, but I never thought one of the options would control that. That option on the face of it had me thinking that somehow you would skip combat pulses or something like that, to cut the work in half in other words. Great, I might enjoy that game afterall.

If i read that correctly, to let the computer play all of it's stepswithout my having to hit the step button manually, would require the option 'unchecked' but unless I did what I did not intend, that option is unchecked. Nonetheless, perhaps it works on the opposite of where it sits now. Thanks again!

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:30:26 PM   
Charles2222

Perhaps you can tell me what AGW encompasses? I thought it was just the West Front and it seemed sort of convaluted to me last time I heard, but then again I heard wild ideas of linking it up with RGW or something, which I bet didn't come to pass.

Post #: 6
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:44:44 PM   
Hanal

You are welcome Charles22...remember to hit the CO Next Step icon in order to execute the AI turn...that is the symbol that looks like a TETRIS block and with the CO execute option UN checked, you should not have anymore problems.....if you still have a problem, let me know and I'll head over to the WARGAMER SCHWERPUNKT site and pose the problem there for you, unless you are registered or want to register there yourself.....

Post #: 7
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:49:44 PM   
Hanal

AGW (Anglo-German War) has over 40 scenarios encompassing the Western Front from the campaign in Poland, through to the end of the war....scenarios such as Greece, Yugoslavia, Crete, and North Africa are included as well. There are also some more east front scenario's covering some of the battles that were not part of RGW...the next phase of the game's development is indeed to have a monster WWII game, combining all theaters....

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 10/20/2005 1:51:11 PM >

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 8
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 1:53:50 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

You are welcome Charles22...remember to hit the CO Next Step icon in order to execute the AI turn...that is the symbol that looks like a TETRIS block and with the CO execute option UN checked, you should not have anymore problems.....if you still have a problem, let me know and I'll head over to the WARGAMER SCHWERPUNKT site and pose the problem there for you, unless you are registered or want to register there yourself.....

You thought quite rightly that I didn't have membership, and that's precisely why I posted it here in hopes of a knowledgeable person intervening. Yeah, I think I have it down, but I could have swore I had it unchecked, as I was thinking it was a bad thing anyway, but just that I thought it was something else. No sweat anyway, as I was just primarily screwing around with the first turn, which I was going to redo anyway, should the massive clicking be removeable, which apparently it is, since I totally screwed up the opening shipping phase and had no idea what to do.

It kind of looks like there's no such thing as an opening Luftwaffe slaughtering of the Red Air Force doesn't it, by hitting their airfileds the first opportunity I mean? There's not enough recon without knowing where they are in advance. What would you do if you spotted one, give it ground support? It doesn't look like there's a clearcut way to attack airfields from the air.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 9
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 8:07:41 PM   
Dave Ferguson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

You thought quite rightly that I didn't have membership, and that's precisely why I posted it here in hopes of a knowledgeable person intervening. Yeah, I think I have it down, but I could have swore I had it unchecked, as I was thinking it was a bad thing anyway, but just that I thought it was something else. No sweat anyway, as I was just primarily screwing around with the first turn, which I was going to redo anyway, should the massive clicking be removeable, which apparently it is, since I totally screwed up the opening shipping phase and had no idea what to do.

It kind of looks like there's no such thing as an opening Luftwaffe slaughtering of the Red Air Force doesn't it, by hitting their airfileds the first opportunity I mean? There's not enough recon without knowing where they are in advance. What would you do if you spotted one, give it ground support? It doesn't look like there's a clearcut way to attack airfields from the air.

The air combat model in RGW is somewhat abstract and concentrates on ground support, interdiction etc so there are no airfield attacks as such. the Red air force will die soon enough if you commit them too soon. AGW has expanded air missions with tactical bombing and search and destroy missions including anti shipping strikes.

Dave

Post #: 10
RE: RGW Simple Question - 10/20/2005 8:11:27 PM   
Dave Ferguson

quote:

AGW (Anglo-German War) has over 40 scenarios encompassing the Western Front from the campaign in Poland, through to the end of the war....scenarios such as Greece, Yugoslavia, Crete, and North Africa are included as well. There are also some more east front scenario's covering some of the battles that were not part of RGW...the next phase of the game's development is indeed to have a monster WWII game, combining all theaters....

The AGW engine has considerable changes from RGW and the game has a hex scale of 12km rather than the 16km of RGW, this allows for more space in Italy etc. The next game will expand AGW to cover the eastern front battles.

Dave

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RGW Simple Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll