Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just got it, couple questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Just got it, couple questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just got it, couple questions - 12/3/2005 7:28:25 PM   
rich12545

Seems like a great game. I played the original SSI baseball game and Old Time Baseball but this is way better.

First, is there any way to just play a single game? Like two historical teams from different years against each other without having a whole season?

Also, I've been downloading stuff but most links have expired. In particular I'd like to get the set of logos and then faces from 1900s thru 1940s and then 1990s. They don't seem to be available anywhere including baseball sim central. Anybody know where they might be?

Went to Beach's site. Nice. Downloaded faces and parks but the links at the top to the skin, music, etc don't seem to work.
Post #: 1
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/3/2005 10:23:36 PM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

Went to Beach's site. Nice. Downloaded faces and parks but the links at the top to the skin, music, etc don't seem to work.

It says -- "Coming Downloads". Shaun hasn't released version 1.1a as of yet. About a week or so after he releases 1.1a I'll have my Sienna skin up for downloading. However, I'll be gone between the 17th and 24th -- so I might not have it up until after Christmas.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 2
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/3/2005 10:50:01 PM   
rich12545

Ah, my misunderstanding. I thought "Coming Downloads" meant a separate catagory/link that would list different files for the future and that anything listed as a zip was downloadable.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 3
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 12:20:53 AM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

quote:

It says -- "Coming Downloads". Shaun hasn't released version 1.1a as of yet. About a week or so after he releases 1.1a I'll have my Sienna skin up for downloading. However, I'll be gone between the 17th and 24th -- so I might not have it up until after Christmas.

You'll let us know, though, right?

I just got the game yesterday and I absolutely love it. I have already checked out your site, Beach, and like the looks of your skin. By the way, the shots you have helped sway me into buying the game. I already have OOTP but the two are different enough to enjoy each. Of course, sadly, my teams in each are playing .500 ball right now The season is still young in each though (early May for both).

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 4
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 8:59:32 AM   
Beach23BoyP

Yes, I will certainly announce it.

I've played both OOTP and PureSim for a long time. And I've enjoyed both tremendously and I look forward to next year's versions! I'll more than likely always play both. I also play SI Games' Football Manager (or what's known it the US and Canada as World Wide Soccer Manager).

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 5
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 4:30:08 PM   
jdew

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Also, I've been downloading stuff but most links have expired. In particular I'd like to get the set of logos and then faces from 1900s thru 1940s and then 1990s. They don't seem to be available anywhere including baseball sim central. Anybody know where they might be?

If you want the jersey-front logos, I set up a new link at yousendit.

HERE

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 6
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 6:45:08 PM   
rich12545

Thanks very much. Now the big question is - how do I get the game to use them. I just finished reading the manual and didn't find that anywhere.

And after reading the manual I'm still wondering if it's possible to just play a single game. Or is it possible to make an association of maybe a dozen of the best teams in history and play a season with them. It doesn't look like it but I could have missed how.

< Message edited by rich12545 -- 12/4/2005 7:01:37 PM >

(in reply to jdew)
Post #: 7
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 8:02:19 PM   
jdew

To associate a logo with a team first put the logo files into a folder (doesn't matter where... I have a "logos" folder under the main Puresim folder) then go to the team's Front Office screen (it reads "Team Management" at the top). There's a button near the top that reads "Change Team Logo". Click that and you can select the logo gif you want for that team. The drop down on the left side of that screen will allow you to select the next team, or any team so just repeat that "Change Team Logo" business for each team you have.

As for playing a single game you have to create an association first since all games are in the context of the association. You create an association from the main startup screen (home screen) by selection the "New" (I think that's what its called... anyway its the left-most box I think). You can create a fictional association, a replay with real players or one based on historical players... there are all sorts of options.

To be able to import real players you need the Access version of the Lahman database ( www.baseball1.com I think). The sandbox mode should allow you to create an association of specific real teams from different years. (I'm not certain exactly how that works as I've not used it.)

At any rate, Shaun included information on this sort of thing in the create association screens where is reads "Tell me more about using real players"... click that and there's more info...

hope that helps...

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 8
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/4/2005 9:13:48 PM   
rich12545

Yes, it is very helpful. I now have it figured out. And in looking over the game I see it is normally played by season and you can go from year to year acting as the gm and mgr. This is really awesome. I've never seen a game like it. Originally I thought it was a nice way to play games from different years but it's really very much more and I'm really impressed and very glad I got it.

(in reply to jdew)
Post #: 9
RE: Just got it, couple questions - 12/6/2005 4:29:00 AM   
Amaroq

Oh, absolutely - the year-to-year aspect is what compels me to keep playing.

Its why I love this genre, honestly. Do you know the theory of a "finite game" versus an "infinite game"?

So, a baseball game is a finite game - after nine innings (or more, or less, depending), you have a winner and a loser.

A baseball season is a finite game - after 162 games and a postseason, we've crowned one winner, and N-1 "losers".

Baseball is an infinite game. There's always next year.

Came in in the cellar? Well, there's nowhere to go but up.
Won the world series? Great - now can you repeat?
Getting bored with winning it all on the Yankees' payroll? Great - try doing that in Pittsburgh. Or better yet, move to Toronto, where you'll have the joy of facing the Yankee juggernaught you've assembled with a team that's not doing as well to begin with, and doesn't have the financial resources.

I always get caught up in the 'Should I give him just one more year?' with aging greats - do I give him playing time to continue his Hall of Fame stats, possibly breaking that record, or do I move him aside for somebody younger with more to offer, in the constant quest for victory?

That isn't much of a tug-of-war in the first few years of a career, but when you've gotten fifteen or twenty years in and you have a 37-year-old who you discovered, drafted, groomed through the minors, turned into an All-Star, and he's just 40 home runs shy of the all-time record... its a lot more difficult to turn him out to set the record for a different team, even if you know that doing so is likely to result in more victories next year.

Good fun!

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Just got it, couple questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI