Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How the different move options work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tech Support >> How the different move options work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How the different move options work? - 7/11/2005 2:54:34 PM   
AndyWatkins1963

Dear all,

Recently bought Tin Soldiers Alexander, and love it. Been a figure gamer including ancients for many years. Best game of it's type I have seen. However I need a little more information as the manual (even on the CD) seems a little light.

In particular you have options to move, attack, charge, counter charge and defend. There is no real explanation as to the benefits and disadvantages of each....

Charge - often gives you a bonus but you can only go in a straight line. I am a bit unsure as to whether you HAVE to charge the target you inidcated, or whether it will charge a different target if they move...

Counter charge - never used it, no idea when it is a good idea.

Move - basically pointless? Only when you don't wish to fight? Does it have any other strengths or weaknesses.

Attack - One I use most as you can change direction more than charge

Defend - If I am surrounded I go onto Defend to get a defensive bonus, but not at all sure this achieves anything?
Post #: 1
RE: How the different move options work? - 7/11/2005 4:32:13 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyWatkins1963
Charge - often gives you a bonus but you can only go in a straight line. I am a bit unsure as to whether you HAVE to charge the target you inidcated, or whether it will charge a different target if they move...

All commands are given in Alexander/Caesar independent of what your opponents do. So, they charge forward -- no matter who is there. In terms of charging bonus, it is an offensive attack, so you get a bonus to hit when charging. This order should be used when you are attacking an unit that you have an advantage over. However, there are some units that will suicide by taking this approach -- e.g., cav going against spear. (See th combat tables for details on the bonus that spear get against charging horse.)

quote:

Counter charge - never used it, no idea when it is a good idea.

Counter charge is an offensive/defensive order. You get a bonus to hit when first attacked followed by defensive bonuses for subsequent combat. Again, it is used when you know that a single unit is likely to attack you and a charge bonus will be advantagous. Using it against multiple attackers may not be wise as you are likely going to suffer greater causalties.

quote:

Move - basically pointless? Only when you don't wish to fight? Does it have any other strengths or weaknesses.

Remember, there are 3 sub-phases to each turn: command, reaction and reserve. Only a move command allows you to take advantage of all three phases for movement orders. E.g., if you wish to move a mounted unit forward 3 spaces, only the move command allows you to do this. Equally, if you wish to move forward, turn clockwise and move forward again, only the move command allows this. If you are not using "move", you are greatly hurting your starting position and formations for each battle.

quote:

Attack - One I use most as you can change direction more than charge

Exactly, attack is used when you are not charging -- due to want to change facing or when a charge is ill-advised based on the opponent you are attacking.

quote:

Defend - If I am surrounded I go onto Defend to get a defensive bonus, but not at all sure this achieves anything?

It does! A defensive bonus, in this case, gives you a 10% against hit. Infantry that are defending are very hard to root out -- and the AI will use this often.

Deride

(in reply to AndyWatkins1963)
Post #: 2
RE: How the different move options work? - 7/11/2005 4:56:30 PM   
AndyWatkins1963

Hi Deride,

Thanks very much for speedy and helpful reply.

Charge - Only once seen a charge figure as lower than an attack figure. Guess that was cav V spear. Will watch out for that one.

Counter charge / Defend - Don't really understand why counter charge will cost more casualties if attacked by multiple attackers? Think I have missed something. (Think I got it, you don't get the 10% bonus for defending that's the difference isn't it?)

Move - I did not realise you only got the 3 moves on a move. I have noticed that charge shows 3 moves but it doesn't move 3. Do you ever get to move 3 times in a charge, if not why does the computer show 3 moves?

Move - I thought the ability to move turn and move was about the same for move as attack. Hadn't realised you could turn more with move?

Do you work for the development company? It really is a superb game, once I am bored of Alexander I shall buy Julius Caesar. Any idea what is coming out next? Biblical perhaps? or Belisarius and the Byzantines V Arabs and Persians, that would make a good game?

Andy

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 3
RE: How the different move options work? - 7/11/2005 6:24:12 PM   
Deride

quote:

Counter charge / Defend - Don't really understand why counter charge will cost more casualties if attacked by multiple attackers? Think I have missed something. (Think I got it, you don't get the 10% bonus for defending that's the difference isn't it?)

Yes, you got it. The defend order gives a 10% defensive bonus -- therefore, over the course of a game, defeding units would lose 10% less troops than a non-defending unit.

quote:

Move - I did not realise you only got the 3 moves on a move. I have noticed that charge shows 3 moves but it doesn't move 3. Do you ever get to move 3 times in a charge, if not why does the computer show 3 moves?

Perhaps it is a bit confusing, but when you select a spot to attack, your unit will move NEXT to that spot and attack. For example, if your unit is facing directly north and you ask him to attack 2 spaces to the north, his orders for the turn will be: move forward (command phase), attack (reaction phase), attack (reserve phase). However, if you gave him a move order 2 spaces north, his orders for the turn will be: move forward (command phase), move forward (reaction phase), defend (reserve phase).

Since infantry units can only move 2 times during any 1 turn, selecting to attack or move directly 3 spaces forward will result in the same final position at the end of the turn. However, a unit that is "moving" will get a defend bonus for the last phase; however, an attacking unit will get the chance to engage an enemy unit directly in front of him during the reserve phase.

quote:

Move - I thought the ability to move turn and move was about the same for move as attack. Hadn't realised you could turn more with move?

Yes, when moving, you can receive up to 1 turn during the turn. So, you can turn, move forward, move forward (ending up 2 spaces forward and 2 spaces to the side); move forward, turn, move forward (ending up 2 spaces forward and 1 space to the side), etc., etc.

quote:

Do you work for the development company? It really is a superb game, once I am bored of Alexander I shall buy Julius Caesar. Any idea what is coming out next? Biblical perhaps? or Belisarius and the Byzantines V Arabs and Persians, that would make a good game?

Yes, I do work at Koios Works, and thanks for the compliment. I can't say exactly what is coming next, but we should have some news over the next month or two.

Deride

(in reply to AndyWatkins1963)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tech Support >> How the different move options work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI