Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. - 5/6/2006 10:11:16 AM   
Reg

One for the modders....

quote:

Australia in the War of 1939–1945. Series 3 – Air, Vol 1 p145.

On 29th October [1940] the Advisory War Council held its first meeting. It called for evidence on all manner of vital war issues from witnesses representing a wide range of Service and civilian authorities . At this meeting Sir John Latham, whose appointment as first Australian Minister to Tokyo was agreed to by the council as "desirable", outlined his conception of the policy Australia should adopt towards Japan. This included a suggestion that the Commonwealth might, as a palliative, place an order with Japan for about £500,000 worth of aircraft. It was possible that such a transaction might put Japan's interests in opposition to those of Germany. The council decided that the proposal should be examined and inquiries made about the types of aircraft Japan could offer. About a month later the Aircraft Production Commission reported that Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha Ltd was anxious to supply both Service and training types of aircraft. In the negotiations a type similar to the Avro Anson had been sought, but the conditions offered by the Japanese company did not provide for complete delivery until the end of 1941 when, it was considered, the aircraft production capacity of the British Commonwealth would be "more than adequate for all requirements".

Mitsubishi service as well as training aircraft by end of 1941.

Zeros and Bettys instead of Wirraways and Ansons.

Hmmmmm.....

< Message edited by Reg -- 5/6/2006 3:20:25 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Post #: 1
RE: What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. - 5/6/2006 5:32:03 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

One for the modders....

quote:

Australia in the War of 1939–1945. Series 3 – Air, Vol 1 p145.

On 29th October [1940] the Advisory War Council held its first meeting. It called for evidence on all manner of vital war issues from witnesses representing a wide range of Service and civilian authorities . At this meeting Sir John Latham, whose appointment as first Australian Minister to Tokyo was agreed to by the council as "desirable", outlined his conception of the policy Australia should adopt towards Japan. This included a suggestion that the Commonwealth might, as a palliative, place an order with Japan for about £500,000 worth of aircraft. It was possible that such a transaction might put Japan's interests in opposition to those of Germany. The council decided that the proposal should be examined and inquiries made about the types of aircraft Japan could offer. About a month later the Aircraft Production Commission reported that Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha Ltd was anxious to supply both Service and training types of aircraft. In the negotiations a type similar to the Avro Anson had been sought, but the conditions offered by the Japanese company did not provide for complete delivery until the end of 1941 when, it was considered, the aircraft production capacity of the British Commonwealth would be "more than adequate for all requirements".

Mitsubishi service as well as training aircraft by end of 1941.
Zeros and Bettys instead of Wirraways and Ansons.
Hmmmmm.....

More likely surplus Claudes and Nells..., the IJN was snarfing up the newer production which was built to meet it's specific requirements. Still, a squadron of Nell's and a couple of Claude's wouldn't have been a bad thing for the Aussies to have on hand in December. Interesting thought.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 2
RE: What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. - 5/7/2006 2:49:28 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

More likely surplus Claudes and Nells..., the IJN was snarfing up the newer production which was built to meet it's specific requirements. Still, a squadron of Nell's and a couple of Claude's wouldn't have been a bad thing for the Aussies to have on hand in December. Interesting thought.

Everything I have heard about this transaction all refer to Zeros. I cannot put my hands on hard references to more detailed information so I cannot say for certain.

However, as Claude production (by Mitsubishi) ceased in July 1940, the late 1941 timeframe certainly points toward a Zero order. The 18 month delivery lead time is probably a reflection of the IJN rearmament as you say.

I am sure a few pre-war opinions on the standard of the Japanese aviation might have been altered if Zeros and other Japanese aircraft were available to a Western nation for valid evaluation. (Another what if!!! - No Zero bonus!!!)

On the other hand, knowing the British and US attitude to minor nations, maybe not (they didn't believe Chennault either).

I am not sure which bomber would have been ordered as they never got that far and the initial approach was for trainer aircraft. The negotiations were terminated very early in the process for various reasons (a lot of them political) so I suppose we will never know but I'm sure Australia would not have settled for 2nd hand/obsolete aircraft. (The Wirraway was acquired as it was a relatively new design and was best aircraft able to be manufactured in Australia at the time. The Beaufort was considered cutting edge and production commenced once aircraft manufacturing had been properly established).

< Message edited by Reg -- 5/7/2006 2:57:34 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 3
RE: What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. - 5/7/2006 2:57:56 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

Everything I have heard about this transaction all refer to Zeros. I cannot put my hands on hard references to more detailed information so I cannot say for certain.

However, as Claude production (by Mitsubishi) ceased in July 1940, the late 1941 timeframe certainly points toward a Zero order. The 18 month delivery lead time is probably a reflection of the IJN rearmament as you say.

I am sure a few pre-war opinions on the standard of the Japanese aviation might have been altered if Zeros and other Japanese aircraft were available to a Western nation for valid evaluation. (Another what if!!! - No Zero bonus!!!)

On the other hand, knowing the British and US attitude to minor nations, maybe not (they didn't believe Chennault either).

I am not sure which bomber would have been ordered as they never got that far and the initial approach was for trainer aircraft. The negotiations were terminated very early in the process for various reasons so I suppose we will never know but I'm sure Australia would not have settled for 2nd hand/obsolete aircraft. (The Wirraway was acquired as it was a relatively new design and was best aircraft able to be manufactured at the time. The Beaufort was considered cutting edge and production commenced once aircraft manufacturing in Australia had been established).

It's not a matter of what was being produced. It's a matter of what Mitsubishi would be allowed to export given the demands of the Japanese military. I'm terribly doubtful that the Aussies were going to get any Zero's while the IJN still had pilots flying Claudes....

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 4
RE: What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. - 5/7/2006 3:02:01 AM   
Reg

quote:

It's not a matter of what was being produced. It's a matter of what Mitsubishi would be allowed to export given the demands of the Japanese military. I'm terribly doubtful that the Aussies were going to get any Zero's while the IJN still had pilots flying Claudes....

Probably one of the major reasons it never happened...

Still, its interesting to speculate.

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What if... Mitsubishi's for Australia. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI