Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

scale?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> scale? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
scale? - 5/21/2006 10:56:40 AM   
Cyanide

Well, I've been thinking about something lately. What is the exact scale of SPWAW? I read somewhere 50 meters a hex, but that seems way too big. I know a tank, which take up about half a hex, isn't 75 feet long, but the infantry seem too bunched together to be realistic. Is it just a game thing, where it doesn't really matter?
Post #: 1
RE: scale? - 5/21/2006 2:07:09 PM   
264rifle

I think, Cyanide, that it is a game thing. To get the ranged weapons to work ( or show the effects of range) the designers went with the 50yds/mtrs scale. With the 800X600 resolutuon tank and infantry icons would be too small to see clearly if made to the same scale as the hex... IS that a MK III or a TIGER

It is the time scale that drives most players nuts. Is a turn 2 min, 3 min, 5 min or 30 min????? Driving a tank down a paved road at full speed it seems to be a 2 min turn. Rate of fire seems to be on a sliding scale (small guns shoot slower and large guns shoot faster.) Unloading and setting up a cannon is also independant of the size of the gun. Small 37mm ATG takes just as long to set up and fire as a 155mm cannon.

Carping aside, it is what it is,which is the best war game of it's type available.

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 2
RE: scale? - 5/21/2006 3:24:52 PM   
forgorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: 264rifle
Carping aside, it is what it is,which is the best war game of it's type available.

Hear yea! hear yea!

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to 264rifle)
Post #: 3
RE: scale? - 5/21/2006 3:43:34 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Think of this: there are 50 pixels in one hex, from one side to the other. Each pixel is therefore 1 meter in size. To make the icons to scale, a tank would be 2-3 pixels wide and 4-6 pixels long. A Tiger tank, for example, is 8.45 meters long and 3.73 meters wide. So it's icon would be 4 pixels x 9 pixels. Too small for much detail. And smaller units would be worse. Infantry would literally disappear, replaced by a generic marker.

So the icons are made in order for us humans to see them, and to make them identifiable.

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 4
RE: scale? - 5/21/2006 6:52:40 PM   
Wild Bill

Precisely, FlashFyre. Actually the tank (and most other units) fit into a small corner of the hex as far as scale is concerned. This is a subjective thing where one must imagine the tank being smaller than is represented.

Take a look at the attached picture to see how these units would more or less "really" look in a hex.

Okay, I don't know how to include a picture here so I'll put it in a new post.

I think you'll find it illuminating. I've taken this from my SPWAW tutorial on Scenario building. Do you have it?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 5
RE: scale? - 5/22/2006 3:13:55 AM   
KG Erwin

SPWaW is full of abstractions, and unit size as you see it vs the game scale is just one part of it. The time scale of turns has been argued for years. This is by no means an expression of real-time combat -- it is a compressed version of it. What happens in 90 minutes of game time could in reality take days -- no one sleeps in this game. So many things are abstracted, but the overall result gives one an impression of WWII combat --that's all it was meant to be.

Given all this, I fully believe that designer Mike Wood and everyone who has contributed to this game have made the most of it, and they have given us one of the best tactical games that ever existed.

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> scale? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI