Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'39 German Armored Cav Brigade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> '39 German Armored Cav Brigade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'39 German Armored Cav Brigade - 5/19/2006 5:19:00 AM   
azraelck

For the sheer hell of it, and since I've lately been playing with the idea of a fast Calvary/Armor combo that seems was never used outside of the Soviet Union; i started a german campaign from sept. '39. My core is 3 squadrons of GE Calvary, and 3 companies of Panzerkampfwagen II ausf. C light tanks. As this is a test of Calvary effectiveness in SPWaW, I haven't been bothering with whether it's an advance, assault, ect...

In my first battle against the Poles, I had a decided disadvantage in AT capability. With no Cav ATR units and the 2cm main guns of the PzKpfw IIcs being less than adequet, it was only the sheer volume of tanks I had, along with the even more worthless armor protection of the Polish tanks, that saved the day. Against Infantry and Calvary; the obvious backbone of the Polish force; the Panzer IIs were deadly, inflicting massive casualties. The battle was a delaying action. I formed a simple static line at first, until turn 15. Then, under cover of 75mm offboard artillery fire I withdrew into a wooded area, into what I thought was cover. It wasn't; the Poles were for some reason able to fire through several hexes of woods. By turn 18 I was in a full withdrawl. It ended turn 30, with the polish force morale broken (it had been since turn 12, but they kept fighting anyways), and all but 1 immobilized Panzer evacuated. That one Panzer inflicted massive casualties, only stopping due to a lack of ammunition, and held off an entire flank of the Poles singlehandedly. Another Panzer had earlier been left in the center of the original line. It held the Poles off for three turns before being overwhelmed. The whole battle was a draw, with over 1100 Poles dead to about 60 germans; with around 40 AFVs to 3 German AFVS.

The second Battle was more one sided. Rather than the offboard 75mms, I instead opted for 15cm SIG33s and 37mm ATGs to compensate for the lack of AT capability. I also upgraded some halftracks and Pzkpfw IIcs into Pzkpfw IIIes. A simple static line, with only two companies; with the third being held in reserve. This battle I lost only 1 AFV and 11 men to over 1500 Polish men and 80 AFVs.

In both Battles, my Calvary has done little; it's been the tanks and field guns that have had the most effect. 4 squads were pinned down by heavy fire from three sides in the first batle when I withdrew; but one fired a screen of smoke and continued to fight, allowing three of the squads to escape for the loss of but one. It was these 4 squads that suffered the most casualties.

Next battle is an advance on the Belgium Front. We'll see how things turn out. I've picked up a number (7 platoons) of the PzKpfw I-based SIG33 SP guns in support; as well as upgrading some more tanks to PzKpfw IIIes and a trio of PzKpfw IVds. I also upgraded the Calvary Squadrons' command units to light armored cars equipped with a 2cm main gun and MG13s, to give me a bit more firepower. If my Calvary hasn't proven to be any more effective before too long; I'll start swapping them out for armored cars.

Post #: 1
RE: '39 German Armored Cav Brigade - 5/19/2006 8:48:48 AM   
sabrejack

Wow, how many points is your core force? Sounds massive?

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 2
RE: '39 German Armored Cav Brigade - 5/19/2006 9:22:03 AM   
azraelck

3100, it's a long campaign. I usually don't like dealing with such a large force, but then this isn't a normal campaign. It's not as much as when you use Soviet conscripts instead of regulars, and have 5400 points to burn... and use every last damn one of them. I quit that one on the first battle, just because I didn't want to deal with that unmanageable mess. This is only tolerable because of the sheer speed, and the fact that in Delay or Defends I can sit and do nothing for a while, just let OP fire take care of things.

Panzer II ausf Cs don't cost very much (I think around 800/co), and Calvary is even cheaper (I think it's not even 800 points for the 3 squadrons!). I've done extensive upgrading now, since I've had very minimal losses. Thus far, with the third battle out of the way I've only lost 6 AFVs and some 80 men. This is vs well over 3000 Belgium and Polish forces, and around 160 Allied AFVs. This latest battle took only a little over two hours, time well spent to me; since lately I've been spending too much time working to consider anything requiring thought.

Recent upgrades include 4 of the SIG33 Panzer Is per company. While frail, these are really effective against soft targets and even light tanks; and really cheap too. I've upgraded to Panzer IV ausf. Ds; one for each company; with two Panzer III ausf. Es per company.
The PzKpfw IIf is now avaliable, and I will probably upgrade to those. I've re-mounted those few Calvary troops I had converted to AC use. They proved themselves quite effective against masses of Belgium infantry; I was moving so fast that I never once dealt with any artillery fire. My only losses came from a few units getting ahead and were cut off; these came long after the Belgiums had lost their fight. The force morale broke at turn three, thankfully it lasted until turn 7; so I could reach the VHs in the rear.

For the advance, I started with a screen of Calvary backed by the Medium Panzers mixed with light, then more light panzers mixed with the SIGs. It ended up into a all-out rush; with scattered units just chasing down enemy units. Over 1000 dead Belgiums vs 11 dead Germans. Checking the force list shows that aside from about two platoons of tanks, and a few ATGs; there wasn't any Belgium force left to speak of.

(in reply to sabrejack)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> '39 German Armored Cav Brigade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI