Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Off-Topic, but baseball related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Off-Topic, but baseball related Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/2/2006 8:17:52 AM   
PadresFan104

Guys -

Just wanted to share this. When I'm not working on ballpark files or my website for PureSim, I'm the coach of my youngest sons' Mustang division (9-10 year olds) PONY League baseball team (Giants). We finished the regular season last week, and I think we won 5 games out of 18.

Well, the playoffs started this afternoon, with all 18 teams in a double elimination bracket format. The pairings were a random draw, but we happened to draw one of the toughest teams in the League, the Phillies. They have 5 kids going on to the All-Star's (3 All-Star teams for the Mustang division), and we have only 1.

Our kids played great, and we even had two seperate "Bad News Bears" moments where our right fielder stuck his glove up found the ball on a pop fly, and another where the right fielder caught a fly ball from his knees. Just great stuff!

Even so, we were still down 9 to 4 going into the bottom of the sixth. The most runs we had managed to score in any inning was 1, so it wasn't looking too good, but we did have the top of the order coming up. Our leadoff hitter started things off with a double, and our number two hitter followed up with a single. Our number 3 hitter also knocked a single into the outfield, scoring a run and making it a 9 to 5 game. Still no outs, and up comes our number 4 guy...

Our number 4 guy, Ben, is our All-Star. Greatest kid you've ever met, with MAD baseball skills. Ben grounded out his first time up (not patient enough), and the Phillies pitched around Ben in the fourth inning, which bugged the heck out of me, but was probably the smart move for them at the time. Before his at-bat in the sixth, I told him to be patient. He watched two pitches go by and then BELTED the third pitch he saw long and deep and well over the left field fence for one hell of a clutch playoff home run. No outs, and we were only down 9 to 8. A walk and a two singles later, we had tied the game and we had runners on first and third with no outs. The Phillies finally bring in a new pitcher, and decide to walk the next batter to load the bases and bring up my son Danny.

I told him I wanted him looking for a hit, but also to have a good eye. He worked the count to 3-0, and then fouled off a pitch about a foot above his head. Both myself and my other coach, along with most of the parents shreiked "NO!" when he did that, but I like the fact he was trying to win the game with a hit. Nevertheless, I reminded him that he needed to have a good eye and only swing if it was a good pitch. The next pitch was outside, and that was all she wrote! The comeback was complete!!!

It was great, moreso becuase the coach of the other team is a bit of a blowhard, often yelling at his players in a not so nice way, while my co-coach and I are more laid back and encouraging. A few parents came up to us after the game saying it felt good to beat his team after the way he has acted all year.

Anyway, the playoffs are far from over, and we may not make it all the way, but I've been coaching little league ball off and on now for about 8 years, and this is my first first-round playoff victory and I wanted to share the story.

Little League playoffs for my youngest, birthdays for my middle sons, and Prom, 18th birthday and High School Graduation for my daughter. Toss in a little PureSim to relax, and this is a great, if not hectic, June!!!

Al

< Message edited by PadresFan104 -- 6/2/2006 8:19:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/2/2006 4:53:29 PM   
JimboJ

Great stuff!!  I also coach my son, who is the same age.  Its a great age to be playing ball.  And I know exactly what you mean about beating those teams with the way-too-intense coaches.  In our league, its the "Evil Yankees".  While you try to teach the kids that teamwork and having fun are the most important things, it still feels damn good to beat that team.

BTW, excellent work on your ballpark files.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 2
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/2/2006 7:12:31 PM   
Amaroq

Thanks for sharing that PadresFan - I've got a huge grin plastered on my face, now!

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 3
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/2/2006 8:05:12 PM   
SirWolf1960

That's a wonderful story.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I did play-by-play of the state high school baseball tournement for our local radio station. You don't think it would be a big rush to call the final play of a championship for a local school, but I have to admit it will always be a highlight of my radio career. The moment I yelled, "And the Seaman Vikings are the Class 5A state baseball champions!!!" I had goosebumps.

And when you watch baseball at this level, you see things you just won't see at the ML level. The Vikes won their semi-final by pulling off the hidden ball trick. With runners at first and second, the pitcher whirled around to pick off the runner at 2nd. The shortstop leaped, and turned to run into center field. The center fielder started charging madly. The pitcher started running to "back up at third." Oh, but on the way he stopped to tag the baserunner between 2nd and 3rd. The 3rd base up promply called him out. I bought into the trick just like most everyone else.

Ya know, this is what's great about the PS community. We all seem to have a deep love for baseball, and it shows in our daily lives, and in our devotion to this game. It is an honor to know you all.

Steve

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 4
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/4/2006 8:14:19 AM   
PadresFan104

Day two of the playoffs was today...

We lost the fist game, which put us in the losers bracket and forced us to play another 6 innings an hour after the first game, against a team that hadn't played since Friday. Figures that it was the hottest day of the year here in Carlsbad, CA..... Loser goes home, winner plays on...

We're the home team, and we are up by one run (8-7) going into the top of the sixth. The other team (Brewers) opens the inning with a double, and the butterflies are churning... No outs, runner on second, 2-2 pitch, the runner breaks for third.... the pitch is high... the batter swings and misses!!! Strike 3!!! Our catcher (Ben, mentioned in the first post above) guns the ball to my son Danny at third who thankfully catches the bullet of a throw and applies the tag for the "Strike 'em out - Throw 'em out" double play!!! I was so thrilled for Danny as he has missed many throws from Ben at third before... Whew!

3 pitches and a strikeout later, we were still alive. :^)

Our next game is next Tuesday, and we have to keep winning to keep playing. Wish us luck!

Al

Post #: 5
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/4/2006 2:54:17 PM   
redeck

great stuff, i love it

Post #: 6
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/5/2006 5:12:39 PM   
LarryP

I really enjoyed reading your experience! My wife and I love to watch the Little League World Series every year on ESPN.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
LarryP.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 6/5/2006 5:16:37 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/7/2006 8:39:51 AM   
PadresFan104

Just got back from another win for the Giants!!!

Still in the losers bracket, tonight we had a rematch against the Phillies who we took out in game 1 of the playoffs (up in the first post of this thread.) I'm happy to report that we held on in the bottom of the sixth for a 14 to 11 victory. We are now one of 3 teams left in the National League, and we face the Padres tomorrow. (Yeah, some irony there...)

Win or lose, these kids have taken us farther than we thought we'd get, that's for sure.

Al

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/7/2006 4:36:32 PM   
LarryP

Good job! Please keep us posted. My ESPN is ready for the August LL PlayOffs and I hope you are in them.

Good luck!

LarryP.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 6/7/2006 4:39:06 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/8/2006 8:01:01 PM   
PadresFan104

Well, the Cinderella Giants finally saw their season come to an end last night.... We had a 6-3 lead going into the bottom of the fifth, but gave up 5 runs on some good hitting by the other team. We got a runner on base in the 6th, but weren't able to bring him home, so we ended up losing late in the game, 8 to 6.

It was another classic game however, with our center fielder catching back to back deep fly balls in the 4th inning, the second one with his back against the chain link fence as the other team was screaming for a home run. What made those plays even more interesting was the fact that the boys Dad talked to me and the other coach before the game, saying that his son was dissapointed to be playing the outfield during the playoffs. We explained to the Dad that we were playing teams that could hit the ball deep and that we needed kids that could catch out there. When we talked to the player later in the game he said that he understood that he was needed out there and didn't have a problem. Obviously, it was more of Dad's issue than the kids.

My son also made his best play or the year at third, snagging a hot shot in the hole and then firing a perfect strike to the first baseman. All of these plays kept us in the game early, but their bats finally got to us late.

Oh well, now I can get back to focusing on my job again, and of course PureSim!

Al

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 10
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/8/2006 8:13:37 PM   
LarryP

Well you all gave it your best and that's what counts. Everybody learns as they go. It's a good thing you did coaching them.

Thanks for all your hard work on the Puresim mods.

LarryP.

Post #: 11
RE: Off-Topic, but baseball related - 6/9/2006 12:26:54 AM   
SirWolf1960

It sounded like quite a run for your kids, one they will remember all their lives. And that is what baseball is all about. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Off-Topic, but baseball related Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI