Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie - Game suggestions needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Newbie - Game suggestions needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie - Game suggestions needed - 6/15/2006 6:45:39 PM   
mashkis

I want to get turn based WWII game but not sure which is the best one in terms of AI, graphics and gameplay. I notices the TOAW3 is now released but the graphics and text looks so old fashon and I don't want to be squinting just to read everything.

I was looking at HPS Panzer and Squad Battles compared to Battles in Italy. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Newbie - Game suggestions needed - 6/15/2006 7:41:22 PM   
wodin

Squad Battles is a tactical game so cant be ciompared to the SSG series. A great series though. However if you want a tactical level game try out the Win SPWW2 demo. Im having loads of fun with it and will buy the full version just for the higher resolutions. Im pa=laying it in windowed mode so it looks OK.

TOAW 3 is value for money. Most grogs view this series as the one to beat.

If you want eyecandy and a decent game at that then the SSG series will be the one to buy. Get Battle sin Italy it has some greta user made scenarios for it.

I really enjoy the PzC games. If you have a major interest in a certain battle and PzC covers it you cant go wrong. Doesnt have the best AI but hey Im useless at these games anyway;) It does have a massive PBEM following though.

(in reply to mashkis)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie - Game suggestions needed - 6/16/2006 7:06:24 AM   
Neilster

Don't be put off, get TOAW 3. Gameplay and re-playability are what counts in wargames and this has them in spades.

Also check out the new Conquest of the Aegean, which although not turn based, has an engine that represents a quantum leap in wargames.

Combat Mission:Barbarossa to Berlin and Combat Mission:Afrika Korps are both brilliant 3D wargames with amazing realism. You won't regret getting either.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 6/17/2006 10:03:45 AM >

(in reply to mashkis)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie - Game suggestions needed - 6/16/2006 10:26:34 AM   
Kuokkanen

If you don't have much (or any) experience about turn based war games, I recommend you to check out demo versions and cost free games first. Recommendations go out for Steel Panthers: World at War.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 6/17/2006 6:07:24 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie - Game suggestions needed - 6/16/2006 2:12:55 PM   
Rainbow7

The Decisive Battles series sets the high standard for current turn-based games.  Battles in Italy or Normandy are excellent games, with nice graphics and great gameplay.  The AI is as good as it gets for strategy games, but the real gameplay comes from play-by-email -- there's an active community of players at Run5 (http://ssg.com.au/forums/).

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Newbie - Game suggestions needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI