Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Current Grievances...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Current Grievances... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Current Grievances... - 6/19/2006 10:50:34 AM   
destruya

Technical

1. Crashes - usually during a heavily tense moment with a LOT of assets in the air. I don't even remember the original Harpoon 2 Deluxe crashing this much, but then again DOS 6.22 might've been a more restricted and stable environment. If I had to fathom a guess, it'd be that the code isn't accessing RAM well enough, since it SEEMS like it's dumping when it crashes. An option to manually set aside a memory cache in the options menu would probably go a long way towards remedying the problem.

2. Lack of scrollwheel support. It'd be nice to be able to use a mouse's scrollwheel, but seeing as mice didn't HAVE scrollwheels in the days of H2/H2D/H2AE, this might be just a "want" and not feasible in the coding.

3. More resolution options are needed - a lot more people are getting their hands on LCDs capable of more than 1280x1024. An option for resolutionns up to at least 1680x1050/1600x1200 (or even 1920x1200) would definitely afford enough real estate.

Gameplay

1. HORRIFICALLY frustrating air group formation. Half the time the things never properly launch and form up because the remaining assets get earmarked by the game for "patrol" duty. Additionally, I'd LOVE the ability to check a stores list for an air group using the "Report" button. It's hard to keep track of how many AMRAAMs or Phoenix have been expended when you're trying to thin out a cloud of incoming Shipwrecks, Sirens, or Backfires before they threaten your battlegroup.

2. In regards to #1, IS there a way to keep the "Patrols" each CVBG/airstrip launches automatically restricted to AAW/ASW/AEW for carrier groups and AAW/AEW for airstrips? It's INFURIATING when you're trying to launch an Alpha Strike only to find half your damned strike aircraft are busy flying in idiotic circles around your battlegroup.

3. The AI needs tweaking. In a scenario I was just playing - an Indian Ocean/Diego Garcia setup with Tu-22Cs, I was able to splash an F-14 with the tail guns of a Bear D. And it took about six passes to get it with nary a cannon burst or Sidewinder from the Tomcat.

And if I had a nickel for every time a strike group has mindlessly flown over my airstrip/battlegroup after loosing their ordinance long ago (which isn't AWFUL considering it allows me to down them...but isn't exactly realistic), I'd have enough to buy another copy of the game. In yet another scenario, Midway Revisited, the Echo II SSGNs, after surfacing to fire their weapons at my battlegroup, stayed surfaced...I took them out with laser guided bombs because my battlegroup had no more Harpoons to outfit my Hornets and Vikings with to strike at the Frunze/Varyag CVG (I ended up using my Vikings since for SOME reason I had plenty of Harpoon IAs).

4. One thing I thought was SORELY lacking from H2 was the ability to set up a proper damned BARCAP. Is there by ANY chance a way to set two or more persistent set of waypoints that a fighter group or AEW platform would constantly fly back and forth through?

5. An option to make it so an aircraft that looses its viable ordinance for a target enters a loiter would be incredible. Granted, this wouldn't exactly come in handy on an LGB strike on an airfield due to AAA, but if I'm using Vikings for their Harpoon capability, I'd like the OPTION to keep them on station because their Harpoon loadout includes a cache of Mk46s as well and most scenarios that involve ASuW involve ASW as well. They certainly have the fuel for it.

6. Owing to #5, is there ANY way to code into the game that as soon as an aircraft has decided to go home, barring the fact that it's at Bingo fuel, to code the ability to retask it to intercept another target without having to manually override the game and physically POINT the aircraft where it needs to be to fire ATA ordinance at a target or sniff in another quadrant for other targets? When the Returning To Base option is listed, there is absolutely NO WAY to retask the aircraft to do ANYTHING else but RTB unless you MANUALLY keep resetting its heading, even though the game ASKS you when you tell it to intercept another target whether you want to close range to engage. This was something that cheesed me off to no end in H2D.

7. Sub rearming is as frustrating now as it was then. It seems to be up to whether the virtual "crew" feels like it or not to reload a tube with a Harpoon or other standoff weapon over the standard torpedo.

8. Are you sure P-3s, Bear-Fs, SH-2/3/60s, and Ka-27s are using their MAD sensors? I've flown over spots where subs have been pinpointed and I NEVER get a MAD spike. I mean, I know Kilos are quiet but they're still made out of metal, for God's sake.

9. I've noticed some very peculiar weapon damages - in the aforementioned Midway Revisited scenario, when I realized I was tits up for Harpoon replenishment, I decided to tilt the odds in my favor by sending flights of Intruders, Prowlers, and Hornets in loaded down with HARMs, something I had PLENTY of in my stores. I wasn't aware HARMs had enough "oomph" to take out a Russian ASW frigate, but evidently under these rules, I'm mistaken.

...that's all I can think of for now. -_-

< Message edited by destruya -- 6/19/2006 10:59:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Current Grievances... - 6/19/2006 11:20:30 AM   
hermanhum

Maybe I can help you out with a few ideas.

I'll insert my answer in Blue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: destruya

Gameplay

<< snip >>

2. In regards to #1, IS there a way to keep the "Patrols" each CVBG/airstrip launches automatically restricted to AAW/ASW/AEW for carrier groups and AAW/AEW for airstrips? It's INFURIATING when you're trying to launch an Alpha Strike only to find half your damned strike aircraft are busy flying in idiotic circles around your battlegroup.

Have you been playing with the "AI handles Formation Air Patrols" option activated? That might explain why the AI is taking assets from you.

<< snip >>

4. One thing I thought was SORELY lacking from H2 was the ability to set up a proper damned BARCAP. Is there by ANY chance a way to set two or more persistent set of waypoints that a fighter group or AEW platform would constantly fly back and forth through?

If you are designing a scenario, we've found a method for doing this. It is awkward and not very effective, but we have been able to create the technique for 'Moving Air Patrol Zones'. If you are interested in it, take a look at the explanation on the FilesOfScenShare Database section. There is an associated sample file.

Not much can be done if you are just playing a scenario.

<< snip >>

7. Sub rearming is as frustrating now as it was then. It seems to be up to whether the virtual "crew" feels like it or not to reload a tube with a Harpoon or other standoff weapon over the standard torpedo.

I believe that this was reported as fixed in ANW. After firing, the sub is supposed to re-load with the same weapon just fired. This isn't the case for you?

8. Are you sure P-3s, Bear-Fs, SH-2/3/60s, and Ka-27s are using their MAD sensors? I've flown over spots where subs have been pinpointed and I NEVER get a MAD spike. I mean, I know Kilos are quiet but they're still made out of metal, for God's sake.

Are you certain that the sub isn't at Deep depth? MAD only works to Intermediate depth. On a related note, MAD works just fine in detected hidden ground units.

9. I've noticed some very peculiar weapon damages - in the aforementioned Midway Revisited scenario, when I realized I was tits up for Harpoon replenishment, I decided to tilt the odds in my favor by sending flights of Intruders, Prowlers, and Hornets in loaded down with HARMs, something I had PLENTY of in my stores. I wasn't aware HARMs had enough "oomph" to take out a Russian ASW frigate, but evidently under these rules, I'm mistaken.

Don't know if the damage model has been changed, but I think that it is different. I had a massive sub unit capable of 1,000 pts as a test. It took minor damage (1%?) and just kept flooding, and flooding, and flooding, until it sank.

(in reply to destruya)
Post #: 2
RE: Current Grievances... - 6/19/2006 3:00:01 PM   
destruya

1. In response to "Formation Air Patrols," yes, it was set. I kept UN-setting it in-game and it'd never listen. Then I saw it in the config menu.

2. Gah. Flying around in circles at loiter speeds doth not a BARCAP make.

3. I've since discovered how to get alternate tube loadouts to work.

4. Still haven't had a MAD hit yet.

5. All I know is you could shoot 50 HARMs at a frigate/destroyer-sized target, and all you're going to do is pockmark it and kill its sensors. These HARMs are lethal.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 3
RE: Current Grievances... - 6/19/2006 7:02:32 PM   
danrhayes

quote:

Yep you can do that. Sorry mental blamk at the moment but you can insert persistent reference points and set aircraft to patrol between them using a variety of missions in the mission editor.

Check out the faq at Harpoon 3 FAQ

Mike Mykytyn has written a pair of excellent articles on the mission editor for the Waypoint magazine

The Infamous H2/3 Mission Editor - Part I

The Infamous H2/3 Mission Editor - Part II

quote:

6. Owing to #5, is there ANY way to code into the game that as soon as an aircraft has decided to go home, barring the fact that it's at Bingo fuel, to code the ability to retask it to intercept another target without having to manually override the game and physically POINT the aircraft where it needs to be to fire ATA ordinance at a target or sniff in another quadrant for other targets? When the Returning To Base option is listed, there is absolutely NO WAY to retask the aircraft to do ANYTHING else but RTB unless you MANUALLY keep resetting its heading, even though the game ASKS you when you tell it to intercept another target whether you want to close range to engage. This was something that cheesed me off to no end in H2D.

Covered here

basically hit the U key :)

quote:

...that's all I can think of for now. -_-

Used to be fun to sink a Kirov with a single HARM hit :) Thought this one had been cleared up. Basically a funtion of the critical hits scheme that allows a relatively minor hit to cause snowballing damage. It is technically possible but very unlikely.

(in reply to destruya)
Post #: 4
RE: Current Grievances... - 6/19/2006 10:02:48 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

4. Still haven't had a MAD hit yet.

5. All I know is you could shoot 50 HARMs at a frigate/destroyer-sized target, and all you're going to do is pockmark it and kill its sensors. These HARMs are lethal.

I have seen MAD contacts from P-3C and SH-60F. So, I think that it does work. Do you have a test file or saved game to show this problem? If you can't post the file to Matrix forum, StrategyZoneOnline accepts files and you can post a report over there. It appears to be monitored by all the parties involved with ANW.

Another potential explanation for HARM effects is the arrival of 50 HARMs at the same time. The effects might be different if you fire a 'stream' of HARM instead of a TOT strike.

(in reply to destruya)
Post #: 5
RE: Current Grievances... - 6/20/2006 1:42:22 AM   
Temple

Wow, thanks for posting the answers and information for the original poster! I didn't even realize I wasn't able to do something till you folks pointed out how to do it if you had trouble doing it to begin with... you know what I mean 

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Current Grievances... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI