Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finances

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Finances Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finances - 7/5/2006 12:08:59 AM   
KG Erwin

I have some issues with this, and this is one of the reasons I stay away from playing modern day associations. There's way too much money floating around, and the salary demands of even marginal pitchers seem to be too high.

At times I even wish that the reserve clause still existed -- I'm all for the players, and the concept of player affinity is nice, but the simply "show me the money" mentality somehow leaves me cold.

I'm not railing against the sim so much as I'm making a general statement about baseball in particular, and all pro sports in general. The various players unions are all naturally opposed to salary caps, but it's a two-sided coin.

Frankly, I think that salary caps should be de rigeur -- otherwise, the smaller-market teams have no chance to ever compete against the big-money powerhouses.

I don't wanna come off as a bitter old guy, BUT, any talk of leagues desiring "competitive balance" is a sad joke unless salary caps are enacted and enforced.

That's just my 2 cents, guys.
Post #: 1
RE: Finances - 7/5/2006 2:36:15 AM   
tbear2b

I'm on board with you on that one. I think, however, that having finances with a salary cap is better than the reserve clauses.

The reason for this is that with finances, but a reasonable cap, all teams should be able to compete for players, but they can't simply get lucky (or have the best place to play) to attract players and build an unbeatable dynasty. With a well-designed financial system that includes a salary cap, players can make decisions about where to play, teams can all be competitive, the league has some parity, but a team can still build a solid organization that lasts years.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Finances Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI