Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player development question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Player development question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player development question - 7/15/2006 6:29:47 AM   
rowech

In using actual MLB players, can guys who play one or two seasons well but hung around for 3 or 4 more season at a much lesser level maintain the one or two season level longer? Or, are players pretty much going to balloon when they did in real life and pop when they did in real life?
Post #: 1
RE: Player development question - 7/15/2006 6:50:26 AM   
SittingDuck

Man, I just don't know yet.  I watched a guy who had a 2-3 season historical career retire right after the year in which he really retired in MLB.  So what I am curious about is do guys retire from our leagues when they have no more historical years left on their Lahman database record?

Like will Frank Robinson retire in his actual year or might he do it before or years after?

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 2
RE: Player development question - 7/15/2006 7:11:22 AM   
motnahp

Funny you should mention Frank Robinson as an example. I'm running an American League replay (sandbox Mode), which I started with the 1969 season. The AI "retired" Frank Robinson 2 or 3 times while he still had a few years left to play.

I ended up creating 4-team Quick Associations. I imported him into the quick assn., then wrote down his ratings. I then turned around and "created a player" in my replay association and changed the created player's name and ratings to match Frank's.

Every off-season, I'll have a few players "retire early" and I'll do the same thing to get them back in action.

This past off-season, 27-year-old Ernie Whitt retired after three years. I'm sure the AI noticed that his three years were spent almost entirely in the minor leagues and he looked to be going nowhere. I had to bring him back, so he could have the 10-12 productive seasons which lie ahead for him.

I hope this helps a little bit. In a perfect world, the AI would follow Lahman to the letter, but I'm happy with the program as is. It allows the flexibility to make the changes yourself, or just "go with the flow".

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 3
RE: Player development question - 7/15/2006 6:47:56 PM   
rowech

Clemente should be retired in my league now but is giving it another year. 

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 4
RE: Player development question - 7/15/2006 6:48:25 PM   
rowech

My big concern is you can predict too easily when guys will explode/fall apart by looking at their real life stats. 

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Player development question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI