Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Puresim, My new game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Puresim, My new game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 2:15:48 AM   
Hitandrun

I have been playing ootp for the past 3 years. Like many ootp players, I was greatly disappointed with the latest offering of ootp. So I decided to try something else. I tried Baseball Mogul and enjoy it although it was not really what I was looking for. It's great if you sim a lot because of how fast it sims. But I like to manage each game myself. Someone came on the BM forum telling about the sale on puresimn for $15. So I decided to try it. I love it! This is the game I have been looking for!

I have a couple of questions: do I have to download all the patches or just the latest one? What is the latest patch that is safe to use? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 2:52:02 AM   
SittingDuck

Glad you have found our little gem.

Only the latest, which is beta v1.19 (located in a recent thread - search for it).  This incorporates support for IE7 and some of us running IE6 are having problems getting it to work (our own personal config issue, not the game).  But v1.18 is also good and is what I am using until I can figure out my own situation.

So v1.19 or v1.18 if you have probs like I have.  Either way, only that one.  Oh, and you have to find the official v1.1 and use that first on the standard game.

Enjoy and welcome to the community.

(in reply to Hitandrun)
Post #: 2
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 6:28:12 AM   
rpommier

Hitandrun,

Why were you disappointed with OOTP? I tried the latest demo and found it overwhelming and the performance was bad on my notebook. It's a P4 1.4ghz/1gb RAM, I thought it would be plenty for a text sim. PureSim performs beautifully and is easier to navigate.

Rod

(in reply to Hitandrun)
Post #: 3
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 6:50:35 AM   
Hitandrun

I was disappointed for the same reasons you list. Plus way too many bugs. The game was not ready when it hit the market. They totally changed to a new game engine, which I believe was a mistake. OOTP 6.5 was an excellent game. Rather than starting over, they should have enhanced the game engine that was already working fine. The game has a lot of potential, but it is so complex, I believe it will be some years before they start getting it right.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 4
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 6:55:49 AM   
SittingDuck

What, btw, is the current version of OOTP?

(in reply to Hitandrun)
Post #: 5
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 6:58:50 AM   
rwd59

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 6
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 2:35:18 PM   
rasnell

I also agree that PureSim has now surpassed OOTP, especially for faithfulness to historical sims and for the wonderful fun in solo play. All the key info is very visually provided in Puresim during games. The sounds are highly relevant (OOTP has given up on sounds which never worked anyway).

OOTP is a mess. Wasn't ready for release and still isn't close with patch 1.02. It's incredible that you can play a World Cup of baseball with Ghana but can no longer keep fictional players out of the game and cannot have minors with real players.

The AI, especially on roster management, is awful. Puresim has the best trading block on the market right now. I still would like to see Puresim speed up the off-season process -- especially having the option not to rebuild or update the almanac until you're actually ready to view it.

The ease of customizing stadiums, the ball flight -- WONDERFUL.

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 7
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 3:55:21 PM   
rowech

When will game companies understand they don't have to revamp stuff every year?  Aggravates me to no end.  If you have a successful game, listen and make the needed changes.  Don't get crazy. 

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 8
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 4:12:36 PM   
SittingDuck

One reason - to make the existing fanbase buy a revised product and garner new sales.  Nothing new, really.

If you look in the dictionary, you'll find the explanation as the word 'greed'.

Another reason is when the code has changed completely and there is no coding linkage between the past and present.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 9
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 4:17:39 PM   
Abev

One of the really unique things about PS is our ability to ask for changes and to get some if not most of them. In the age of customization I am surprisd more software co's havnt gone to online polls about what they want to see next.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 10
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/15/2006 9:09:21 PM   
PanzersEast

I am a new Puresimmer and I still have OOTP 6.5 on my harddrive.... I use Puresim for my historic associations and OOTP for my 2006+ assoc.... If we could only get opening day 2006 rosters and important minor league players with financial on, then I would more than likely totally switch..... for now there is room for both (never OOTP 2006)

But courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility. - Rommel

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 11
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/16/2006 8:35:39 AM   
Beach23BoyP

I've played 'em all -- and I'm enjoying both PS2007 and OOTP2006 right now. BTW, I have no problem with the new OOTP2006 interface. It's a peice of cake after you get use to it, and when you learn how to use a few bookmarks.

I'm using both programs to replay 1962 season. I fully support both efforts.

(in reply to PanzersEast)
Post #: 12
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/16/2006 4:05:55 PM   
Abev

I hope I am not hjacking this thread, but what exactly happened to ootp? I tried it a few years ago and between my loyalty to PS and the arcade feel of OOTP it just wasnt for me. Did they change ownership or have some other internal overhaul? Or they just thought that the direction they moved the game in would be a good one?

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 13
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/16/2006 6:39:58 PM   
Beach23BoyP

Markus joined London based SI Games (makers of the world largest sports text sim game -- Football Manager, 1,500,000 in sales). OOTP just under went a complete rewrite and it has become an extremely complex and deep BB simulation. BTW, just like Football Manager.

Because of its huge and steep learning curve, this new OOTP may not be all old OOTPers cup of tea any more. And, of course, with a new rewrite and a program this complex there are bugs (rapidly being killed, I might add).

BTW, "arcade feel" of OOTP?? Are you kidding? If any of the programs suffer (or prospers) from a so-called "arcade feel" it must be PS2007. After reading your post I question if you've even tried the OOTP2006 demo. There is absolutely "no arcade feel" to OOTP2006. Maybe a "War and Peace" feel !!!

Finally, both PS2007 and OOTP2006 have a lot to offer all BB text simmers. People just need to figure out which one they prefer -- or do like me and play both!

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 7/16/2006 6:44:46 PM >

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 14
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/17/2006 12:22:55 AM   
rasnell

I'm playing PureSim for the fun and my actual solo leagues. I'm playing OOTP 2006 only for bug testing and posting all the needs for patches and fixes. I have high hopes for OOTP 2006, but it's a long way away from the simple fun of PureSim and the ability to customize such a wonderful, visual game screen.

Post #: 15
RE: Puresim, My new game! - 7/17/2006 6:55:20 AM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP
BTW, "arcade feel" of OOTP?? Are you kidding? If any of the programs suffer (or prospers) from a so-called "arcade feel" it must be PS2007. After reading your post I question if you've even tried the OOTP2006 demo. There is absolutely "no arcade feel" to OOTP2006. Maybe a "War and Peace" feel !!!

Finally, both PS2007 and OOTP2006 have a lot to offer all BB text simmers. People just need to figure out which one they prefer -- or do like me and play both!

Never touched ootp2006. Only played an older version a few years ago. PS has not arcade feel if you dont watch or manage games :)

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Puresim, My new game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI