Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"When It Was A Game" DVD set

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> "When It Was A Game" DVD set Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/5/2006 5:52:06 AM   
KG Erwin

My wife is gonna shoot me as, I've been going Amazon crazy lately. I set up an account there, and I stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005B32G/102-9505085-3613726?v=glance&n=130

Footage of the 40s-50s Golden Age is priceless stuff, so I couldn't pass it up.

Jeez, I've blown nearly $100 on baseball items in the last few weeks, so I owe the wife a few favors.
Post #: 1
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/5/2006 6:04:45 AM   
sposfan

KG,

you should check out Ebay to see if any stuff is available there for less! I've done very well in baseball books there including out of print ones for a small fraction of the retail cost.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/5/2006 6:15:25 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for the tip.  

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 3
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/5/2006 6:49:08 AM   
DreamTeams

I'm gonna have to pick these up. I have the VHS version of these and watched them to death. I remember how great it was to finally see a moving picture in those grand old parks, in color. These are keepers.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/8/2006 10:30:18 PM   
KG Erwin

Woo-hoo! Got the "Triple Play" box set in the mail today. I'm popping open a cold one and gonna do the time travel bit starting now.  Later, guys.

PS Only five minutes in, this is simply breath-taking. On DVD, you are really transported back to a time when baseball was "the" sport, and I'm starting to fully grasp what it is about that era that I find so captivating. Also, the quality of this color footage is simply astounding.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/8/2006 10:50:07 PM >

(in reply to DreamTeams)
Post #: 5
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/9/2006 1:02:05 AM   
KG Erwin

I started vol 2, but volume 1 was just amazing.

Call me sentimental, but when I saw a few seconds of footage inside old Forbes Field, focusing on the Longines clock, I nearly started to cry.   I've only seen the in-game versions. It was like meeting a long-dead relative that you'd only seen in photos.   

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/9/2006 10:37:25 AM   
mossicon

thanks for posting about this, i ordered a copy a few days ago.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/9/2006 10:34:37 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: moss_icon

thanks for posting about this, i ordered a copy a few days ago.

yep ditto here! looking forward to it!

(in reply to mossicon)
Post #: 8
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/10/2006 9:47:41 AM   
rmayer32

Well that was painless ordering..lol

Can't wait to check this one out.

Rick

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/16/2006 9:12:35 PM   
KG Erwin

I wanted to bump this back to the top, as I've now watched the series, and am in the process of watching it once more. 

After listening to the player interviews, I'm getting a better understanding of why the era of the 1940s-50s appeals to me so much.  Considering the changes that have occurred in the business of baseball over the past 35 years or so, the Golden Age now seems almost quaint. 

That being said, the more I play Pure Sim with those players, the more I can identify with them, even though most of it happened before I was born (1957). 

I'm now starting to play a mental game, and try to put names to some of the lesser-known players featured in the videos.  Some, of course, are instantly recognizable, but others, who were solid everyday players for years, are not as well known.   Back then, players didn't have their names on their jerseys.  You had to know them by face and uniform number.   

(in reply to rmayer32)
Post #: 10
RE: "When It Was A Game" DVD set - 7/18/2006 3:03:46 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I wanted to bump this back to the top, as I've now watched the series, and am in the process of watching it once more. 

After listening to the player interviews, I'm getting a better understanding of why the era of the 1940s-50s appeals to me so much.  Considering the changes that have occurred in the business of baseball over the past 35 years or so, the Golden Age now seems almost quaint. 

That being said, the more I play Pure Sim with those players, the more I can identify with them, even though most of it happened before I was born (1957). 

I'm now starting to play a mental game, and try to put names to some of the lesser-known players featured in the videos.  Some, of course, are instantly recognizable, but others, who were solid everyday players for years, are not as well known.   Back then, players didn't have their names on their jerseys.  You had to know them by face and uniform number.   

Yep I just finished DVD 1 of the series. Great stuff thanks for the tip! Learning the history makes the game even more fun! I love the old school stuff myself as well...

I also just found a great place to find player bios that I did not know a lot about:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> "When It Was A Game" DVD set Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI