Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating - 7/31/2006 10:22:58 PM   
SittingDuck

Today I was thinking that with so many historical pitchers being rated in the 8-9-10 range for stuff and control, stats become very vital feedback for discerning what the player's true 'hidden' rating really is and how much of a superstar he will be.

So I've tended to look at those ultra-high ratings for pitchers (and sluggers, too) as just saying they have star MLB talent. Then it is the hidden rating that takes them to the next notch over all the others who have those high visible ratings. And ratings like 5-7 indicate the guy has passable MLB talent, but not necessarily star talent.

This is how I rationalize it, whereas beforehand I felt that Mays and Aaron and a few others should be the only guys with 9-10 power. But if that were the case, then it would be easy to figure out who would be a star (ok, history tells us, but you understand what I am saying) and who would not. But that hidden rating must be the clincher - what separates star from wanna-be.

So ratings of 1-4 seem to me to be developing minors players or guys who just have very capped talent; 5-7 are like 2nd/3rd tier majors players, and 8-10 represent the true studs. Then it comes down to stats.

Now I have to share that I originally felt that most players would pretty much always mirror somewhat their historical statistics, given the playing time and such. But I just recently watched Frank Robinson in the 1966 season (Tripple Crown year!) with a horrid .221 average in the late summer and meager HR and RBI totals. The rest of the lineup was fairly solid, with Boog (who batted behind him) being the semi-nightmare he was then. So very interesting...

All in all, I love it.
Post #: 1
RE: The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating - 7/31/2006 11:05:26 PM   
rowech

I would agree...think about the fact that the range of 85-94 probably tranlates as a 9 rating.  That's a nice size difference. 

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 2
RE: The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating - 7/31/2006 11:23:50 PM   
SittingDuck

True enough.  One reason I like the 10-rating scale.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The value of stats, ratings and the hidden rating Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI