Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crew nonsense

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crew nonsense Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crew nonsense - 8/21/2000 2:23:00 PM   
Scipio Africanus

Ok, I've read many of the posts on crews and I am aware that most people are unhappy with the "Rambocrew" tactics. I think I have pretty good evidence of a bug concerning crews. If it's not a bug, then I think it's hard evidence that crew capabilities need to be reduced even further. I'm running version 2.2- here is the incident: While moving cautiously in smokey open terrain, my unsuppressed full strength, late 1943 Ranger section of 6 men comes upon a quivering Elefant crew of 3, standing in the middle of a dirt road. The range is 50 yards; the crew opens fire with its 3 P38 pistols, having decided that surrender to an elite unit is not the fate they desire. The crew has a 2 percent chance to hit and does so, felling 1 ranger. Rangers rally and fire back at 6 percent: nothing The Crew now fires at 3 percent chance to hit. Scoring, they fell another Ranger. Rangers rally and fire back at ~8 percent: nothing The Crew now fires at 3 percent chance to hit. Scoring, they fell another Ranger Rangers rally and fire back at 10 percent: nothing The Crew now fires at 4 percent chance to hit. Scoring, they fell another Ranger The 2 remaining rangers rally and fire back at 10 percent: nothing. I just want us to be clear here. 3 crewmen armed with pistols were ambushed in open ground by an elite 6 man Ranger squad armed with M1 carbines, Browning automatic rifles, and Satchel charges, yet this troubled them not at all. For they simply cocked their P38s and mowed the guys down as if they each had MG34s. Hmmmm... According to the percentages given, the odds against scoring 4 successive hits is: 1,361,250 to 1 I want to point out that I have not been in 1,361,250 firefights with crews. I have been in about a dozen firefights with crews; I have taken casualties in half of these. In fact, I think I'll start to keep notes on such skirmishes in order to set up a database of actual fights. For it is my strong belief that crews inflict more casualties than they take when facing single squads. I know the arguments will be coming, "weird things happen in war..." If this is the case, then maybe we need to have the game check to see if tanks are ever destroyed by meteors falling from the heavens. Can someone at Matrix please take a close look at the issue of these crack assault units called crews? ------------------ Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus
Post #: 1
- 8/21/2000 5:59:00 PM   
McGib

Damn where can I get some of these crews?? Mine dont kill anyone inside or outside of the tank.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Scipio Africanus)
Post #: 2
- 8/21/2000 7:42:00 PM   
Hans

I have a similar issue with 75mm leIG. Sometimes when firing at infantry they unerringly hit with their rifles while missing with the gun. Actually they only do this, if they miss with the gun; if they hit or if they don't have shots left for the gun, the hit chance for the rifles seems to be correct. This makes them a deadly anti-infantry weapon at ranges of 8-12 hex, having a hit chance of 2-6 percent with the gun (missing most of the time) and 2-4 percent with the rifle (hitting ALL the time). This feature is reproducable with an existing save, but I don't remember, if it happens all the time shooting at infantry from up to 12 hex distance or if it is a soft bug. Hans

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Post #: 3
- 8/5/2000 4:27:00 AM   
orc4hire

I think part of the problem is that large squads seem to be more likely to be hit than small ones. Crews, of course, being typically smaller than the average squad, have an advantage because of this. There may not really be any such advantage, but it sure seems sometimes like there is. (I note that I have not been particularly plagued by crew oddities. The weirdest thing was last night, when one of my halftracks was ambushed by an understrength Russian squad. The HT was destroyed and the crew bailed out, angrily firing their P38s at the Russians. Killed one, and the squad retreated. A Soviet sniper in the same hex fired at them and missed. The crew shot him down too. In the AI turn another sniper moved up to them in the smoke and was also gunned down. Since this was one of my units shooting down AI units it was an amusing example of my troops rising to the occasion, not a bug to be corrected.)

Post #: 4
- 8/5/2000 4:46:00 AM   
jsaurman

I agree, it may have something to do with the "size" variable. Tanks are usually 4's or 5's, squads are usually 2's or 3's and crews are usually a 1, and a sniper or recon patrol is a zero. This might have a lot to do with it, but I am sure it does not explain it all, there is probably some sort of a bug. Does anyone know how the size rating affects hit probabilities?? JIM

Post #: 5
- 8/5/2000 5:14:00 AM   
Scipio Africanus

I forgot to point out that the above incident was against a human opponent in a PBEM game, not against the AI. I'm quite sure that my opponent was thrilled to see the brilliance of his crews, who killed more men when outside of their Elefant than when inside it. Cheers, ------------------ Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crew nonsense Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI