Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Might buy but have some questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Might buy but have some questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Might buy but have some questions - 9/13/2006 2:54:16 AM   
tguerr16

Hey all, just got turned onto this game from a magazine article. I am currently using Baseball Mogul and want to know what you all think.

Fist off, I am playing PureSim 07 Demo right now and all of the games are on one field (Atlanta’s) If I buy the game, is pictures of all the fields used for their respective teams?

Second, is there trades, Free Agents (at end of season) and amateur draft like in Baseball Mogul?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

BTW, I used to play strat-o-matic and I really enjoyed the flight of the ball and the ball park pictures, this game seems like a good sim game if you like to manage a game or be GM..am I on the right track?
Post #: 1
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 9/13/2006 2:56:06 PM   
tbear2b

You can use pictures of fields from any source as long as the picture fits. Then you can adjust all of the ball flights and locations as needed. They don't come packaged with the game, but they are very easily accessible, and many of them come with premade ball locations.

There are trades, amateur drafts, free agents, a great almanac, and pretty much everything else you would expect from a great baseball sim. The only part of the game that is not built up a lot is financials, but unless that is all you care about, this game is more than worth the money, to play as a GM or a coach.

(in reply to tguerr16)
Post #: 2
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 11/28/2006 4:24:59 AM   
mikeregan

I now have both games and PureSim, in my opinion, is the best by far. The finances probably are a little weak but you do get a bundle of cash every year to pay for your players. It is entirely possible however to run out of available cash when purchasing free agents. There is a amateur draft which is very good but the free agent portion is excellent. You can "offer" a player a package but you end up bidding against other team offers for the player. (just like real life)There also seems to be a "bluff" built in to the negotiations in that he may be considering another offer from a team so you figure you lost him because you don't want to offer more money so you start shopping around for a different player. After a bit, he may come back and accept your original offer. I like that.
The stadiums I found on another web that is linked here. It has a ton of ballparks from all eras (even the old LA Coliseum) It's easy to download and install them. It went without a hitch. There are other faces-thousands of them and they automatically attach to the correct player believe it or not.
You DO have access to every stat you can imagine but the best part for me is the ability to load into the modern era any old-time player (Babe Ruth or whoever) with ease. You can even load in ANY old-time team into the modern era. Makes for good dinner conversation.
So if I had the choice I would buy this one over Mogul without a pause. You won't be sorry. The game seems extremely stable (wish I knew what language he used out of curiousity) Stats, by the way, seem very accurate also. Hope this helps you.

(in reply to tguerr16)
Post #: 3
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 2/3/2007 6:39:10 PM   
tiger50

I am about to purchase PureSim and have several questions. I have owned Diamond Baseball for the last 3 yrs and like the Sim part okay, although graphics aren't very good and it is not very user friendly in getting to various information on players and stats. I will buy the PureSim based on the Database alone as I am a stat man. Does anyone out there familiar with Diamond Baseball and how it compares to PureSim? Also in doing research on the internet I came across Action PC Baseball which also looks like a good game, although teams are very expensive like the Diamond Mind Baseball game. What are the differences in all of these games other than the obvious price factor? Does PureSim make allowance for different ERA's of Baseball (I like to mix players from different Eras and I know that position players from 1930 should not hit as well as their original stats in a neutral era as would pitchers from 1968 not pitch as well) Does PureSim take these variables into account? Thanks in advance for your reply from someone who is looking for the Holy Grail of Baseball sims.

Jim

(in reply to mikeregan)
Post #: 4
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 2/3/2007 7:26:10 PM   
KG Erwin

Jim, I'm not really sure what you're wanting, but look at my 1946 draft league diary. Historical players are rated in relation to every other player in the database for a given year.

The "accelerated availability" feature has a dramatic impact on ratings and resultant stats. Jackie Robinson was made available for my league, but he isn't dominant -- he's just a good second-baseman, and he's not playing for the Dodgers.

So many things affect the stats in Pure Sim -- the ballparks, the weather, health issues -- these all have profound effects on the results.

Now, you do have the option to use real rosters for a given year. I chose to go the "alternative history" route.

I've never played DMB, but I have played Baseball Mogul.

The baseball sim "Holy Grail" may be unreachable, but for my money, and my needs, Pure-Sim has come the closest.

Regards,
Glenn

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/3/2007 7:39:52 PM >

(in reply to tiger50)
Post #: 5
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 2/4/2007 3:18:32 PM   
sposfan

Jim,

If you've been on the DMB boards, then you know me (I'm sposfan there too)

They really are 2 different beasts and almost impossible to compare head to head. DMB is made to replay a particular season, or a particular season of a particular player (or preplay in the case of the projection disk) except for the all time great players disk. Puresim is a career sim, so players will develop differently than they did in real life. You CAN replay a single season in Puresim, but that's not what it's meant to do, and not really it's strength. The PBP also does not compare to DMB.

That said, Puresim is an excellent game on its own merits. Players develop realistically and the stats come out safely within the realm of possibility. The in game management and setting up a computer manager to the extent that DMB does is also far behind, but once again, this is not what Puresim is about, since it is really a GM sim. The trade AI is pretty good and with some house rules is very good, same for the financials. You don't set ticket prices, concession prices etc. so you can concentrate on baseball. To increase the challenge, I give myself the least amount of money in my league.

Puresim does take into account eras.

I'd recommend checking out the demo. Once you see the almanac, being a stats guy, you're going to be hooked. I'd suggest quicksimming a few seasons to see what the almanac can do. It'll totally blow your socks off and is worth the price of admission alone.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Might buy but have some questions - 2/4/2007 4:24:14 PM   
tiger50

Thanks guys for all of the above info. It was really helpful. I just ordered Puresim and will start working with it over the next few days.
Jim

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Might buy but have some questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI