Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newbie - 11/6/2006 9:16:55 PM   
Javigato

I haven't bought the game yet, but now that I see is available with physical media I will do so shortly... just have to get through some deadlines at work and I will have time to play by the end of week and on.

So, my question, for someone with no experience at all, not in this game in particular, and not with turn base strategy games whatsoever (or RTS for that matter) is there any guide, or some recommendations to get me started and fully enjoy the game? I mostly play flight sims, but I really wanted to play turn base strategy games (hate RTS games!) and this seems like the type of thing I am looking for... but it does seem a bit complicated. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: newbie - 11/6/2006 9:21:22 PM   
christian brown

Get the game and read the strategy notes in the manual, many smart people have had the chance to read them, apart from that, remember how truly important supply is and always buy some.  Best of luck and welcome to the GGWaW/AWD community!

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Javigato)
Post #: 2
RE: newbie - 11/6/2006 9:29:37 PM   
JanSorensen

There is also a tutorial included in the game. Make sure to play through that.

Apart from that - dont be afraid to post here asking questions. Expect it to take a couple of weeks before you feel comfortable will most rules - and months if not years before you feel you have mastered the game :) Playing this kind of game takes time - so just enjoy the fun.

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 3
RE: newbie - 11/6/2006 9:29:52 PM   
GKar

Don't worry, A World Divided is relatively easy to play - but may prove difficult to master.

The integrated tutorials explain almost every click you have to do in order to make the basic and more advanced moves. Thanks to the available setup options (supply and combat help) and "unbalanced" scenarios (one for the Axis and one for the Allies) will help getting your feet on the ground at the beginning. The manual isn't small (~180 pages) but on the other hand, you will find little that is not explained in it. As the direct successor of World at War, AWD is much refined and the manual has benefited from that as well. There are remarkable strategy guides for the different sides at the back of it which help to do the right thing at the right time.

(in reply to Javigato)
Post #: 4
RE: newbie - 11/6/2006 11:53:20 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

I haven't bought the game yet,...

Once you get the game do as stated in the above posts.
But meanwhile you can peek into the AARs and get a feeling of the game itself, you will be looking forward for the weekend to come and play

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 5
RE: newbie - 11/7/2006 1:01:03 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Yes the AAR's help.  Great game I think you'll enjoy it if you have the slightest interest in it.

I am still learning it myself.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 6
RE: newbie - 11/7/2006 3:03:37 AM   
Javigato

Thanks guys!  I really appreciate your input.  I look forward to playing it!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI