Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Generals at division level

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals at division level Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 12:55:36 AM   
tiredoftryingnames

I need alittle info on how generals work. I've read the manual and two sections kind of threw me only for how brigade commanders are used. I understand the connection between their rank and what units they should command. The manual explains that having two generals attached to 1 unit only the highest ranking general will provide bonuses and train the units.

But brigade commanders are unique it says and you can attach them to divisions and they provide bonues for brigades individually. It even states for only one in another section. Is this random? Can you say which brigade? Does it do any good to assign a brigade commander for each brigade attached to a division if you have them available. And if you assign a brigade commander to a division that has a division commander does it do anything since only the highest ranking general provides bonuses and does training?
Post #: 1
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 1:22:34 AM   
Twotribes

A one star General will not train anyone. In detailed battle any one stars you have attached to Divisions will be randomly assigned to a brigade in that Division ( as will the 2 star) You can move the Generals from one brigade to another as you please. A General in command of a Brigade will give that brigade a boost based on the generals ratings, a Container commander ( the 2 star in the case of a Division) will excert command over all brigades in his division.

For command purposes each commander of a container adds their bonus to the ability to rally units out of command. Each additional general in the force will add in a much redused manner.

In Quick battles only the top 3 Generals will help and you will see them at the bottom of the screen on your side.

If you have 2 or more generals capable of command in a single container, I think I read it goes alphabetically. Only one can actually command and only one can train in that Container.

You have 3 types of Containers. Army, Corps and Division. An Army commander of the appropriate rank can train randomly any Brigade in the Army, including those in corps and divisions. A Corps commander of the Appropriate rank can randomly train any brigade in the Corps, directly attached or in a division inside the Corps. And any Division that has an appropriate ranked Commander can randomly train a brigade in that division.

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 2
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 1:23:30 AM   
Twotribes

Ohh ya, a General may apply one of his traits to a unit temporarily in detailed battle. also.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 2:17:03 AM   
tiredoftryingnames

Thanks

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 3:43:46 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

A one star General will not train anyone.

Is this statement true?  I was under the impression that a one-star general can teach attributes to a regiment under his command.  Or is it hat a two-star general, in control of a Division, say, can teach an attribute to any unit under his command?

The purpose then, of a one-star general is that his own attributes (e.g., Leadership) have an effect on the brigades he commands.  But a one-star general cannot "teach" skills to those under his command.

Is this the way it goes?

Thanks,

Alanb

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 5
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 4:20:44 AM   
General Quarters

That's my understanding.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 6
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 12:32:15 PM   
Twotribes

That is how the rules read and that is how it has been explained before by those in the know.

The only thing I am unclear on at the moment ( until I go read it again) is whether a one star can temporarily add attributes during a detailed battle.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 7
RE: Generals at division level - 1/26/2007 7:00:45 PM   
Gil R.

One-stars never teach abilities, even temporarily before a battle. You have to promote a guy with teaching abilities before you can benefit from them.

By the way, one of the things I'm doing for the patch is adding more special abilities to the 100-percenters and 25-percenters (many of whom don't have any), plus 9-percenters who have bios done will get teachable abilities if they seem worthy.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals at division level Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI