Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 Questions Before Purchasing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> 2 Questions Before Purchasing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/1/2006 12:35:23 AM   
moranacus

I would really like to purchase the game but I would like to know 2 times first.

1. I'm going to create my own baseball league with my own created teams and ball parks. I'm going to be using players from the
past and present on my team. My question is if a player played 10 years 1970 to 1979 and only had one good year (1975)
if I choose that year his game play will reflect those stats?

2. How many players are on your roster? IS It like real baseball or do you have a choice?

As soon as I get an answer to my questions I will purchase the game.

THANKS!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/9/2006 1:00:53 AM   
brewgrad

To answer your second question first - the roster is 60 man. 25 in the majors and 35 in three divisions of minors (in 2007). You must also have at least 10 pitchers in the majors. You can choose between a 4 or 5 man rotation. But as far as I can see, the game algorithm expects a 5 man rotation for proper rest. There may be a year/time modifier there now but I don't know about that.

There does appear to be a modifier for the year/date in hitting for the 2007 game. I just loaded my 128 season league from Puresim 2004 to Puresim 2007. In the 2004 version, there didn't seem to be any modifiers for time period as I played from 1880 to 2008. The new season in Puresim 2007 -year 2009 - (season 129) brought 6 new batting records and 12 players hit more homeruns than the previous all - time record. The home run leader hit 100, almost double the all - time record.

With the historical players available in the 2007 version, and editing functions available, it seems to me you could stock teams with players from what ever year you decided was their best year. Although, as a youth, I played all the famous card/die roll baseball games using real player stats - I find the fictional aspect of Puresium to be the most enjoyable. No expectations. If your favorite all-time player is Pujols and he just doesn't perform - the game might be frustrating. But with the fictional teams, I can play for 10 to 20 seasons and leave the team to the AI and go take over another team and reshape them - without any historical bagage.

You can design your own parks (within the limits of the available fence data points). There are downloadable add-ind for historical park pictures. I just loaded Fenway Park last night after I did a little research on the exact dimensions.

In stocking your league with all-stars, it's important to think about how the rating system works. As I understand it, the numbers correspond to percentiles. So a player with a Contact of 90 would be in the top 10 percent of 'contact makers' in the league. The number of contacts that become hits being dependent on other set factors. Generally, one would see a "Gaussian" type distribution - a standard curve - with this type of rating. And 90 would certainly be near the top in a fictional league.

In my experience with fictional leagues, the major league players tend to fall within the 50 to 90 point category, with some smaller amounts above 90 and below 50. I don't know how the algorithm would fare if - for example - the "worst" guy in the league was an 80 in Contact. This situation would almost certainly arise in any league made of the best of the best.

It would be a good experiment and the results worth posting! In any event, I highly recommend the game. I'm sure you've read multiple testimonials. I close by saying I've purchased 4 versions of the game since the late 90s. And I've played them consistently over the years. How many other games can you say that about?

(in reply to moranacus)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/9/2006 5:40:05 PM   
moranacus

Thanks for your info!!!! I purchased the game and setup my players. I wish I could create my own schedule (decide who plays who) instead of the computer deciding. I also choose the 35 man roster but only have 25 players (none in the minors). I'm curious to see what happens when I start playing. I also really don't want to play any spring training games so I hope there is a way to speed through that and start playing the real season.
Thanks again!!!!

(in reply to brewgrad)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/9/2006 7:26:33 PM   
XCom

Spring Training is really just for informational purposes. You don't actually play the games. It is simmed pretty quickly and then you can see the results. Depending on the size of your league it all should take less than 5 minutes.

Also, you do have the ability to create your own schedules for Puresim. See the thread below for details:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1236600

(in reply to moranacus)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/9/2006 7:36:10 PM   
moranacus

Thanks for the info!!!! Its greatly appreciated!!!!

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/9/2006 7:42:33 PM   
moranacus

The game starts on 31 March. When does the actual reason season start and do I keep clicking on automatic play of games until all the spring training games are done????

(in reply to moranacus)
Post #: 6
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/10/2006 10:32:36 AM   
jono

Spring Training is automatically completed.  Regular season starts 31 March.

(in reply to moranacus)
Post #: 7
RE: 2 Questions Before Purchasing - 11/10/2006 3:38:20 PM   
moranacus

Thanks for letting me know!!!! Its greatly appreciated!!!!

(in reply to jono)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> 2 Questions Before Purchasing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI