Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Zoom levels

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Zoom levels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 11:53:21 AM   
coralsaw

Hello all,

The manual states that there are three map zoom levels, but it seems to me that by pressing 'Z' I cycle through two zoom levels. Can anyone confirm this please?

I tried searching the forum but could not locate an answer. TiA.

/coralsaw

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
Post #: 1
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 2:05:19 PM   
christian brown

There are in fact 3 viewing sizes (though 2 of them are very similar.)  It is possible that you don't notice the difference between the 2 "zoomed in" viewing sizes.....try using the button on the top of the screen instead of Z (in case that is the culprit.) 

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 2
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 2:48:25 PM   
coralsaw

Thanks Christian. The followon question that begs an answer is then, what is the purpose of having 2 similar degrees of zoom? 

/coralsaw

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 3
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 2:59:29 PM   
rjh1971

Do you see them the same size?

The second level is the one I always use since the biggest one doesn't allow to get an overall look, and the smallest size (zoomed out) you get a great overlook of the situation at the expense of a lower scroll speed of the map.

But I do clearly notice the difference in each zoom level.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 4
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 9:18:22 PM   
christian brown

quote:

Original: Coralsaw
The followon question that begs an answer is then, what is the purpose of having 2 similar degrees of zoom?

LOL, Dont' blame me, I just play here!
I too would prefer a zoom level closer to "in between" the other 2........But at least we HAVE the zoom out big view (a real helper, especially when planning naval ops!)

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 5
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 9:50:00 PM   
JanSorensen

You can just customize the zoom levels yourself - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=831633

Post #: 6
RE: Zoom levels - 11/13/2006 11:39:20 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

You can just customize the zoom levels yourself - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=831633

Good to know! Are there some kind of optimized settings with the largest zoom possible and a nice intermediate setting? Or are the game settings supposed to be optimal?

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 7
RE: Zoom levels - 11/14/2006 10:56:11 AM   
coralsaw

This is a godsent, thx!!!

Guys, really this feature should be made obvious to newbies and all those that haven't bought the original WAW, it improves the game experience.

/coralsaw

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 8
RE: Zoom levels - 11/14/2006 11:04:37 AM   
coralsaw

Although the customiseable zoom levels are superb, I still see just 2 levels of zoom rather than 3. The settings I use (note that my zoom levels have changed on screen, so the settings seem to work) are:

MAP_ZOOM,4000,3000,2000
CHIP_SCALE,3000,1700,1500
ICON_Y_OFFSET,35,40,25

Even with the above settings, I still see 2 levels of zoom on my laptop (1024x768, window mode), by either pressing 'Z' or using the icon. I'm sure there is a problem somewhere either in my setup or in the game itself. I've measured the map features in the different zoom levels, so I don't think it's my eyes playing tricks. :)

Can someone verify please that there _are_ indeed 3 zoom levels. TiA.

/coralsaw

< Message edited by coralsaw -- 11/14/2006 11:10:21 AM >

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 9
RE: Zoom levels - 11/14/2006 12:47:53 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

Even with the above settings, I still see 2 levels of zoom on my laptop (1024x768, window mode), by either pressing 'Z' or using the icon. I'm sure there is a problem somewhere either in my setup or in the game itself. I've measured the map features in the different zoom levels, so I don't think it's my eyes playing tricks. :)

Can someone verify please that there _are_ indeed 3 zoom levels. TiA.

In general - yes, there are three different zoom levels, although the last two ones don't make much of a difference and the last one is of no use for me (everything is too big).

What's funny is that I don't get them everytime I play (?!?): Sometimes the level zoomed out most is missing, it might have to do with playing full-screen or windowed, the graphics level (I "downgraded" recently) or the position and size of the game window.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 10
RE: Zoom levels - 11/14/2006 8:35:00 PM   
darrellb9

With the zoom settings left at the game defaults I seem to get 3 levels of zoom but when I change them then it seems like I only get 2.

At the defaults I have a problem where on the closest zoom level (which I rarely use) some, not all, of the Russian unit icons are absolutely huge and cover 4-6 regions up. I'm using the nato icons.

If I change the zoom settings and try to use something around 2000 which works well for playing allies/japan the icons (or chips I guess) don't stay at the size I had set once I've zoomed in and back out. They are larger after zooming back out.
Would I need to change all the individual units scaling values to fix this? I notice there's scaling values for each unit as well as the general CHIP_SCALING setting.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 11
RE: Zoom levels - 11/14/2006 10:32:29 PM   
christian brown

This is beyond off-topic, I just wanted to say that I really dig coralsaw's unit counter (of course, the 5-6 "HG" chip is better, but hey, IIRC, you don't get those until '44, and of course the researchable [in A3R]2-6 s are handy as well!)  When I get some time, I will try to set up for an "intermediate" view, just to view, lol, but until then it would be nice if someone (hint to Lebatron....) would just flat out and say what a good intermediate setting would be to avoid dickering around...Thanks

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to darrellb9)
Post #: 12
RE: Zoom levels - 11/15/2006 2:00:46 PM   
coralsaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar
What's funny is that I don't get them everytime I play (?!?): Sometimes the level zoomed out most is missing, it might have to do with playing full-screen or windowed, the graphics level (I "downgraded" recently) or the position and size of the game window.

That's what I'm seeing too. There's clearly a bug there guys, can the devs have a look pls.

/coralsaw

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 13
RE: Zoom levels - 11/15/2006 2:02:42 PM   
coralsaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: christian brown

This is beyond off-topic, I just wanted to say that I really dig coralsaw's unit counter (of course, the 5-6 "HG" chip is better, but hey, IIRC, you don't get those until '44, and of course the researchable [in A3R]2-6 s are handy as well!)

You've touched my soul, mate. Guderian would have been proud of you!

/coralsaw

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Zoom levels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI