Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italy builds troops after surrender

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Italy builds troops after surrender Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/14/2006 2:07:06 AM   
Tom Grosv

Not sure if this is a bug or not. I'm playing WA, everything else AI. Italy surrendered after I captured N Italy, Tripoli and Sicily. All Italy units disappeared as per the manual. However, the next turn the German AI built a militia unit in S Italy. It even had an Italian flag, the only Italian unit in the game. Is this a bug or is it intended? I expected the Germans to only be able to build supply or research. If intended, I would be interested to know the justification.
Post #: 1
RE: Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/15/2006 7:40:01 PM   
Rocco

Hi Tom,

I don't know exactly whether this is intended or not myself.  However, it says somewhere in the manual that Germany will take control
of Italy after Italy surrenders (to represent the puppet government that was installed).  So I would guess that Germany can still create
units in any provinces left over.

I don't know for sure though because in my games I have made Germany surrender before hitting Italy.

I currently have a game going as the axis, so I'll let you know what happens on my end if the ai takes Italy.

Hope someone "in the know" can give you more information.

Rocco

(in reply to Tom Grosv)
Post #: 2
RE: Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/15/2006 8:38:37 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes this is intended. As long as Germany continues to control Italian factories, they can produce pro-German Italian units. I remember playing the old AH game Anzio and how there were several Italian units fighting (some on each side) long after Italy had surrendered as Germany established a puppet government in the north while the Allies established an Italian governament in the south which started to form it's own army.

(in reply to Tom Grosv)
Post #: 3
RE: Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/16/2006 10:25:01 AM   
Tom Grosv

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Yes this is intended. As long as Germany continues to control Italian factories, they can produce pro-German Italian units. I remember playing the old AH game Anzio and how there were several Italian units fighting (some on each side) long after Italy had surrendered as Germany established a puppet government in the north while the Allies established an Italian governament in the south which started to form it's own army.

Hmmmm.... seems a bit odd though. Italy falls and every single soldier, paratrooper, seaman and pilot deserts/surrenders from every corner of the German empire. However, the very next turn a bunch of Italians sign up for the German war machine. How does that work? Conscription, I suppose, but if the Germans have that sort of control, surely some remnents of the previous army would have survived.

Following on from what you said, Joel, about "Anzio" allowing both sides to build Italian units, I don't think AWD allows the Wallies to do that. Not fair?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/16/2006 12:41:42 PM   
GKar

It didn't happen to me yet, but it sounds like a good thing in general: Once Italy has surrendered, Germany is on the road to defeat anyway. The remaining Italian production gives the Allies an incentive to finish all of Italy as soon as possible. As for the Italian units, I guess they're taken from the map for historical reasons.

(in reply to Tom Grosv)
Post #: 5
RE: Italy builds troops after surrender - 11/16/2006 2:15:55 PM   
christian brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar
I guess they're taken from the map for historical reasons.

Interns, internees?  LoL.
IIRC the puppet Italians that continued on were real live fascists, beleivers, not press-gangers....everybody else deserted or was interned.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Italy builds troops after surrender Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI