Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/1/2012 10:19:11 PM   
Perturabo

I remember reading about armoured warfare concepts from the interwar years and one of them included complete mechanization of army, including giving infantry soldiers tankettes. I wonder how such a "tankette infantry" would perform.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
Post #: 1
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/1/2012 11:22:05 PM   
Terminus

Ask the Italians. Or the combatants in the Spanish civil war. Or the Poles.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 12:04:09 AM   
Mobeer

Or the US Army? Does a Bradley count as a tankette, given a lack of troops and excess of firepower?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 12:23:33 AM   
Terminus

No. No, it does not.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 4
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 12:37:27 AM   
Perturabo

AFAIK the Poles have found them quite useful, especially the few that had super heavy machine guns.

Still, none of these involved using tankettes as it was originally intended. In case of the Polish, the largest size of a tankette unit was a The idea of tankettes didn't come from a "future tank" project, but a "future soldier" project. It had more in common with the later idea of powered armour than with further development of tanks. I meant using them en masse as "future infantry" units, not as recon tanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

Or the US Army? Does a Bradley count as a tankette, given a lack of troops and excess of firepower?

More as a medium tank by the WWII standards.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 5/2/2012 12:38:40 AM >

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 1:05:13 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

US Army along with the Bradley have performed exceptional over the last decade, you have any experience on the contrary with either?

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 6
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 1:45:38 AM   
junk2drive

Sarge I don't think he was questioning the effectiveness of a Bradley, but questioning if it fits the "tankette" category.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 2:03:35 AM   
Lieste

Course it isn't.... bloody great huge thing - as big as a Tiger...

Tankettes are smaller than 'super-minis' - and they would be IMO useless as 'infantry' - there are a lot of places a man can move that a tin-can can't follow - totally ignoring the fuel burden for each/every 1-2 men having their own 'tank'...

They can't hide as well as infantry, are usually as vulnerable (it takes more armour than these carry to make them immune to LMG (AP) fire, and even if you uparmour them, they will still be vulnerable to HMG or ATR type man-portable weapons, plus artillery at 'normal' blast radii - the probability of being hit by fragments is 50% over much lower distances than the lethal range, and being a bigger target, which can't go to ground the tankette will be hit far more often, mostly offsetting any marginal improvement in survivability due to thin armour).

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/2/2012 7:36:55 PM   
Mobeer

Sarge, I wasn't criticizing the Bradley, more questioning if the concept of mechanized infantry today fits with the interwar concept of mechanizing all infantry by providing tankettes. It seems to me that there are parallels, for example troops in tankettes and troops in Bradleys need more fuel than soldiers on foot. Where I am less clear is whether the tankette infantry were ever expected to dismount.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/4/2012 2:26:31 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I wonder how such a "tankette infantry" would perform.

Probably as efficiently as if each man in an infantry unit simply took a barrel of oil, dumped it on the ground, then went off and fought a battle on foot.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 10
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/4/2012 4:37:16 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Would a mechanised exo-armour suit count as a Tankette? I have no doubt there is a ton of research going on into it already, just waiting for a small enough power source to power it all.

The "now you need oil and other supplies, verses MREs" point is a great one that most people would probably overlook. There is a lot of smarts on these forums.

Obviously the fact that the longest thread is about boobies from Australia is just an anomally .

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 11
RE: KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! - 5/4/2012 7:32:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

Obviously the fact that the longest thread is about boobies from Australia is just an anomally .

It is just a sign of boredom.

Edit: And the fact that in such threads I can make stupid posts that I dare not do in the serious threads.

< Message edited by Orm -- 5/4/2012 7:35:42 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> KEKEKEKEKE TANKETTE RUSH! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI