Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/13/2006 4:10:11 AM   
randell765

Hey everybody,

I know this is a bit off subject, I am having a hard time finding the 1996 board game Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage from Avalon Hill. If anyone has any idea where to get it(even outside the USA), can you please send me a link or an idea.

I checked on ebay, they have it at 300.00 some dollars, a little steep for a board game.

Thanks for any help
jason
Post #: 1
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/13/2006 5:03:46 AM   
petdoc

That game is like the Holy Grail of boardgames. Check the discussions on Boardgamegeek.com. If you ever find it for less than 200.00 you should also buy some lottery tickets! Fortunately I own it, great game.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 2
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/13/2006 5:52:08 PM   
Feralkoala

Yes, it has been out of print for ages. It is very difficult to find a reasonably priced copy. Because of its odd rights situation (Hasbro owns them, I believe, after the acquisition of Avalon Hill), it seems unlikely to be reprinted in the near future.

(in reply to petdoc)
Post #: 3
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/13/2006 6:12:12 PM   
sol_invictus

I have never understood Hasbro's policy of sitting on the old classic Avalon Hill titles and doing nothing with them. If Hasbro has no intention of publishing them, I desperately want them to sell the rights to someone who will publish them and maybe actually make a pc game out of them, for God's sake.

Russian Campaign and War and Peace would sell like hotcakes as pc games.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Feralkoala)
Post #: 4
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/14/2006 12:47:02 AM   
andym

You might like to contact Second Chance Games or take a peek at their website.

http://www.secondchancegames.com/

I have managed to get some very rare games from them.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 5
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/14/2006 1:44:15 AM   
Skeleton

Not sure if this is any help, but you might want to try trollandtoad, I found a mint copy of A3R and it was very modest price wise. Also, you might want to try dropping a line to BoulderGames, I believe they have a large number of classic Avalon Hill titles.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 6
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/14/2006 3:46:26 AM   
randell765

Thanks for the help guys, troll and toad had it for around 315.00, might have to wait until after christmas. Wow, never thought a board game could ever get that high. But it is supposed to be excellent. mabey someone will just make a computer game out of it?

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 7
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/15/2006 4:51:48 PM   
Feralkoala

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I have never understood Hasbro's policy of sitting on the old classic Avalon Hill titles and doing nothing with them. If Hasbro has no intention of publishing them, I desperately want them to sell the rights to someone who will publish them and maybe actually make a pc game out of them, for God's sake.

Russian Campaign and War and Peace would sell like hotcakes as pc games.

I don't believe Hasbro owns the rights to Russian Campaign, it has been published in a 4th edition by L2 Design Group.

Hasbro has actually released the rights to a number of older games for the simple reason that they won't make any money for them.

< Message edited by Feralkoala -- 12/15/2006 5:02:30 PM >

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 8
RE: Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage - 12/17/2006 7:00:35 PM   
Hoplosternum

Rome v Carthage is by all accounts a great game. It is also fairly short for a Card driven war game. But other than that its not really that special as far as I can tell - even from the hype. It's meant to be well balanced, but then so are many of the modern card driven wargames. So unless you are a collector or really need a game that plays in under 8-10 hours (which most card driven wargames run to) then I'd just go with one of the other well respected card driven games. It's a great game mechanic in my view.

Even on Boardgame Geek Hannibal does not outscore the other good card driven games (Paths of Glory, Wilderness War etc.) by much. You'll find plenty of players and comments/strategies/rules discussions/comparisons of all the card driven war games to see which ones you might like on either the 'Geek or ConsimWorld. I'd just get yourself one of these and you'll save yourself $250 too

Especially as Hannibal may get sold on and reprinted at some stage. Reprints have happened to other rare but expensive games in the past. Consider Empires of the Middle Ages which you used to go for even more cash than Hannibal, until the reprint. I know there are meant to be 'other factors' inhibitting a reprint in this case. But if there is any money in it - and I would expect there would be a ready (if small) market for it - I suspect it will happen fairly soon. Why would Hasbro (who don't benefit from high eBay prices) or the artists / designers (ditto) hold back indefinitely?

(in reply to Feralkoala)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI