Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question for scenario designers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Question for scenario designers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question for scenario designers - 5/8/2001 1:24:00 PM   
BlueMax

Hi all, something that has been bugging me for ages: do designers design a scenario to make it balanced on the first blind playing or are scenarios more balanced upon repeated playings when the player knows the location of enemy forces???? Obviously there is a big difference here. If I play a scenario for the first time, is the chance of me loosing it designed to be very high? I would much appreciate it if Wild Bill or someone else could enlighten me on this. Thanks.

Post #: 1
- 5/9/2001 11:06:00 AM   
Redleg

I suppose we all design and test differently. My own routine is something like this: 1. Play AI vs AI and just watch to see how the units are moved etc. I may do this several times, making adjustments as I go along. I am looking for what the AI side does and an AI win of about 4:1 advantage in points. 2. I play the scenario at least twice but I can remember one recently that I played more than 10 times. The second time I play it, I handicap myself to off-set my knowledge of how the battle is set up. If I get a strong draw or weak marginal win, I fix anything I saw and get someone else to test it. 3. I tell the person testing the scenario nothing other other than what is in the text file. I hope they will tell me about any problems I missed, etc. If their score is roughly a strong draw or weak marginal victory, I consider the test complete in most cases. It is very difficult to guess the experience level of a bunch of unknown players. What I strive for in almost all cases is at least a draw with a numeric advantage in points. Grognards will probably get a decisive but I don't design for old timers. Part of what goes on in my head is the knowledge that a player can set preferences to suit himself based on his own knowledge of his experience or he can replay the scenario if he likes. I do try to make scenarios that are challenging. By the time I go through this, I am usually very tired of seeing the scenario.

(in reply to BlueMax)
Post #: 2
- 5/9/2001 7:46:00 PM   
skukko

Most of Redlegs I recon in my methods too...Good explanation, Redleg :) but answer to question..lets see, it is something like: Winnable with thought and hysterical all the way, if I can add historic aspect to it, more better, but allways winnable somehow. mosh (not scenario designer... :D )

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to BlueMax)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Question for scenario designers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI