Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Transforming the interior of China

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Transforming the interior of China Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transforming the interior of China - 1/25/2007 4:24:05 PM   
el cid again

It was not the primary intent, but creating interior river systems is going to significantly change the interior of China.

First of all, the rivers are the main roads of China: the Yantze first, the Yellow River second and the Pearl River third.
This is not at all clear in past forms of WITP - regardless of mod - except to the extent you could sail ocean ships inland to Nanking in CHS and to Wuhan/Hankow in RHS (never mind we all had Hankow in the wrong place).
But that is not what I mean by an "interior river system" - that is an "exterior river" because ANYTHING can sail up it. The biggest ships in the world can sail under the Great Bridge at Nanking - the first obsticle one encounters sailing inland from the sea. The lower Yantze is very broad, and deep, and the whole system is also swift, rendering many classical river craft of marginal value (because they cannot sail upstream): unlike most rivers you don't slow your engines - you run at higher speeds - at least upstream. Anyway - these rivers represent ways to move - and for AI to move - supplies, resources and units. By putting units of transport craft on them, they WILL move these things.

Second, ports are not the same as airfields economy wise: code is going to make fuel at places it never did before - and that will make the economies somewhat more efficient (fuel wise). This will compound with the transport of resources, oil and supplies in point one above to make the mini-economies (even if isolated from the world) more functional.

Third, these river systems are new ways to flank the enemy - or be flanked by the enemy - and no one can guard long river banks at every point. They will change operations - and in a historical direction.

Fourth, the upper Yangtze basin is China's Grand Canyon. The cliffs are typically 2000 feet high, and the idea this is not a significant military obsticle - or that it is a normal river obsticle - and in particular that one could "shock attack" a unit on the opposing side is wrong. For this reason I am changing the river symbols (remember we have art to tell you where the river is - and our river functions too) to blocked hex sides. Just as I did near Shanghai - where blocked hex sides force you to be on a major island without bridges - or on the mainland on one side of the Yangtze or the other - so we will use a single (rather than dual) set of blocked hex sides in the upper Yangtze - creating a different kind of "rough country". This should increase the significance of the river as transport route - and of any roads or rail lines in the area. And it creates opportunities for blocking forces to be more efficient.

Fifth, the river systems represent micro naval theaters in their own right. If the Amur/Usurri/Sungari river system in Russia and Manchukuo are a mini-naval theater - with actual mini-warships - the Yellow river and Yangtze are micro - because here the "naval weapon" of choice is a machine gun! Absent a lot of other warships and guns, it matters too. [There is a wonderful account of the landing at Inchon in the Korean War in which a force of junks must be sunk without trace - or the presence of defenses on an island will be known. A single small vessel with mg is used to sink all five of them - never mind they mount heavier mg which outrange the attacker (which has a single US naval officer on board). Talk about a micro naval battle! We can have stuff like that now.] The Yellow River and the upper Yangtze have only motor junks, motor sampans, barge/tug combinations, micro river transports, and landing craft. These are not going to be easy to sink - because of the way we are representing them - unless air power is applied or they stupidly assault some strong point with lots of artillery. [Not sure about the Pearl yet.]

Sixth, creating the triple Wuhan metroplex (Hankow/Hanyang/Wuchang) - next to each other but separated by rivers - at the end point ocean ships can reach - all of which is geographically and historically correct - changes the nature of Central China. This is an important area - area because to fully benefit one must control all three hexes - and one cannot "hide" behind a river barrier (as one can upstream where the cliffs are - see the Three Gorges Dam project upriver from here). IF one controls this area - one has a true ocean port and major airfield complex in the heart of populated China - one that generates significant resources and some supplies and fuel - and even repairs ships (Wuhan Shipyard celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2004 - and it is the only shipyard in China to build conventional submarines: draft of the lower Yangtze permits even large modern submarines to pass). The REASONS for fighting ove Wuhan - and the difficulties - are now simulated. Control of this area is divided in 1941 - and you can tell which way the wind is blowing in China by the status of this area thereafter.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/25/2007 5:14:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Transforming the interior of China - 1/25/2007 7:12:39 PM   
el cid again

Kaifeng is on the wrong side of the Yellow River. It belongs on the South Bank at the Rail Junction. Not sure this matters very much - but it should be where it is - if you see what I mean?

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 2
RE: Transforming the interior of China - 1/25/2007 8:27:40 PM   
Dili

This game has so much juice in it.

Post #: 3
RE: Transforming the interior of China - 1/27/2007 2:12:28 PM   
el cid again

Japan designed a single river gunboat to work the Upper Yantze River basin. Named Kotaka, it had a very shallow draft - and powerful engines - so it could negotiate high currents - and almost all of the shoals/shallows and tributaries. Due to the remote nature of the area - and the lack of competition by other armed vessels - the "primary guns" of this vessel were machine guns - from a drawing apparently a twin 13.2mm AAMG mounting on the foredeck.
There also was apparently a twin Type 92 7.7mm AAMG on the afterdeck - and yet another Type 92 single on the forward upper deck. There are few places in the world such a vessel would be the "heavy warship!" It begins to appear that dividing the Yangtze where the deep channels ended and the "Chinese Grand Canyon" begins is a good mechanism.

I also found an overlay with the details of the diverting of the Hwang Ho (Yellow River). This was deliberately done in 1938 - and it was done AT Kaifeng. At this point the river was contained by parallel dykes - and the river itself is well above the flood plain (after centuries - nay mellenia of silting by the worlds muddiest river - the level of the river bottom kept rising - but the Chinese simply kept building UP the sides!). When the dyke was cut, the water simply left the banks. But I didn't realize that the ROC was so clever - they did this at a place much of the water would be drained by the watershed of another river - which in turn would end up routing the water to the no longer used ancient opening of the Hwang Ho itself - far to the South - almost to the Yangtze basin. This resulted in a wide flooding - and I conclude that four of our hexes in a row (along the course of the river on the map - which is showing the diverted course) should be swamps - starting at Kaifeng - moving SE. This is a different way to "rough up" the interior of China - without mountains! I also conclude that Andrew had both the river course and the location of Kaifeng correct in the first place - and I will be "moving Kaifeng" again in x.63. However, I think the Peking-Hankow RR - known as the Pinkham RR - is incorrectly drawn - so the two rail junctions on both sides of the Hwang Ho at Kaifeng are, in fact, a single one - always on the non-Kaifeng side of the river. Hopefully we will get art to represent this in x.63 as well.
x.62 may have got the Wuhan area better than it was - and I will issue a new pwhex file to match the art today - so we can issue both.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Transforming the interior of China Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI