Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

pilot reque

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> pilot reque Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
pilot reque - 1/30/2007 1:17:34 PM   
Fokkov2

I got a air unit with some good pilots but with all planes lost sitting at a base.
It seems a can't fly them out (evacuate) is that correct
or do i need to sent an Ap/Ak/Apd to get them out ?
as sending any shiipng to that base is doomed to fail

Can't get any planes to resupply it also as its to far from an HQ.

I would hate to loose all these good pilots when the base maybe falls.
Post #: 1
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 2:10:45 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fokkov2

I got a air unit with some good pilots but with all planes lost sitting at a base.
It seems a can't fly them out (evacuate) is that correct
or do i need to sent an Ap/Ak/Apd to get them out ?
as sending any shiipng to that base is doomed to fail

Can't get any planes to resupply it also as its to far from an HQ.

I would hate to loose all these good pilots when the base maybe falls.

Better get used to the idea... even sending subs didn't help when i had a similar situation.

(in reply to Fokkov2)
Post #: 2
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 5:04:00 PM   
huggarn

Cant you retire the unit and wait 90 days for the reformed unit to appear?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 5:09:58 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: huggarn

Perhaps the new versions of the game will allow it... in previous times, it could be impossible (esp. if the pilots were in a fragment).

(in reply to huggarn)
Post #: 4
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 6:57:55 PM   
bradfordkay

If there's no unit in the same hex using the same type of aircraft, then you cannot disband the unit either (v1.804). Last night I did figure out that the pilots (the whole squadron) can travel to a new location by rail, but if cut off from that they're going to surrender when the base falls.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 7:11:34 PM   
MarcA

From the enhancement list for v1.801

5. Airgroups having no planes but having some pilots may now be loaded onto AKs (load cost calculated as
number of pilots).

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 6
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 7:18:01 PM   
bradfordkay

Ahah! That's the natural follow up to being able to transport them by rail. So we CAN load the pilots onto a ship. I highly recommmend doing this with the Dutch squadrons for historically minded allied player, as units appear to reform even when you choose not to (on the disband screen). Now I can ship them to some backwater in Australia and allow them to drink all they want since they ain't going to be flying anymore...

Now we have a use for those tiny tramp steamers in the CHS!

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 1/30/2007 7:40:35 PM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 7
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 7:39:18 PM   
rtrapasso

Well, since they now (supposedly) be transported by ship, maybe it is possible for a FAST TRANSPORT mission to get them out??

Post #: 8
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 9:41:23 PM   
fokkov

as said , sending any ship will result in the loss of both ship and when it survive to be able to load , than it will probebly be sunk on the way out, its out of cap range.
I want to try to sent a small squadron so i can disband the aigroup , but same resulted before in a even bigger number of pilots being stuck

in to deep and out of time

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 9
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 10:05:29 PM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: fokkov

as said , sending any ship will result in the loss of both ship and when it survive to be able to load , than it will probebly be sunk on the way out, its out of cap range.
I want to try to sent a small squadron so i can disband the aigroup , but same resulted before in a even bigger number of pilots being stuck

There are 4 ways as far as I know

1. Load on an AK
2. Rail transport
3. Deliver 20000 supply to the base, either by sea or air, and draw the a/c from the pool
4. Put command HQ of the base they are in at a base with 20000 supply, that is within transfer range

If you don't or can't do any of these they are lost

< Message edited by mantill -- 1/30/2007 10:18:27 PM >

(in reply to fokkov)
Post #: 10
RE: pilot reque - 1/30/2007 10:13:59 PM   
rtrapasso

Well, since they revised the rule, there is a slight chance a sub COULD pick them up - but i would bet not...

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 11
RE: pilot resque - 1/30/2007 10:59:54 PM   
fokkov

I think there doomed, DOOOMED

there cut off, hardly any change to get any shipping in,say alone a couple of them to respupply uptill 20000, will have to try the sub option.
Will post if i manage to get some of them out.

in to deep and out of time

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 12
RE: pilot resque - 1/30/2007 11:16:45 PM   
Dino

Move in a group with same ac and nationality, disband and move out...what remains in the base will be a fragment and those pilots will 'teleport' to parent once the base falls...IIRC.

(in reply to fokkov)
Post #: 13
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 8:14:24 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Perhaps the new versions of the game will allow it... in previous times, it could be impossible (esp. if the pilots were in a fragment).

What new version? Do you know something I don't?

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 14
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 9:24:09 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

If there's no unit in the same hex using the same type of aircraft, then you cannot disband the unit either (v1.804). Last night I did figure out that the pilots (the whole squadron) can travel to a new location by rail, but if cut off from that they're going to surrender when the base falls.

I have a similar situation in a different game. I have a crack 36 pilot unit stuck at at an inland base that has no aircraft. The airfield has been closed for the past several weeks from daily bombing. The transfer, withdraw and disband buttons are grayed out so they are stuck.

I tried flying in another unit to disband the pilots into but the new unit's aircraft ended up destroyed as well. I was able to withdraw that unit and it is reforming now.

My new plan (which I just tested out on an older save) is to fly in a low experience 12 plane unit and then withdraw the 36 pilot unit. That way those crack pilots will begin reforming and will be available in 60 days. As I can't transfer out the 12-man unit on the same turn it transferred in, my opponent will smash whatever aircraft remain to pieces. But at least I will only have 12 poor pilots stuck instead of 36 very good ones.

I really wish they would fix this once and for all. Pilots without aircraft should always be available to transfer out by land assuming they aren't cut off. At the very least, allow them to withdraw without another unit having to be present. Its hard enough to maintain trained pilots without using China as a training ground.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 15
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 9:49:07 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

... I have a crack 36 pilot unit stuck at at an inland base that has no aircraft ...

quote:

... I really wish they would fix this ...

IIRC Don has added two improvements.

(1) You can now (1.8.0.1) load air units with pilots but no planes aboard AKs (couldn't do that in original game). Can help with Islands.

(2) You can (1.8.0.2) rail out an air unit with no ready (damaged only) planes (couldn't do that in original game). So do a "get 1 plane" and then rail 'em out. No rail? What are you doin' there?

Otherwise, you'll have to further define "fix" !!!

Maybe one day we'll write some code that'll allow you to fly 'em out one by one in the center seat of your Kate units, but until then, at least you've got some options you didn't have before!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 16
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 2:03:03 PM   
Fokkov2

IMO  it should be possible to airlift them out , it's possible to airlift the better part of whole divisions so why not some pilots

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 17
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 2:18:19 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

What new version? Do you know something I don't?

i originally had the problem when the game was in version 1.7xxx... i'd try it now, but the pilots are dead/captured...

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 18
RE: pilot reque - 2/1/2007 6:57:32 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Otherwise, you'll have to further define "fix" !!!

Hi Joe,

Well, for me the fix would be to allow air units without aircraft to airlift or rail out. The problem in previous versions was that you could not rail a unit if the rail destination was less than the air transfer range. So if your unit had no aircraft or if they were damaged, you couldn't transfer them. They were stuck where they were. Do the latest versions allow rail movement less than the air transfer range? If not, why not? What's the ratrionale?

This really impacts the longer range aircraft like the Nells and Bettys. If you had one of those units without aircraft anywhere in SE Asia or China, they couldn't rail anywhere. The other issue is if they are on an island base that is subject to enemy air superiority, you're really screwed. Sending in ship transports is too dangerous. I can fly air transport to pick up ground units but I can't pick up a bunch of pilots. Makes no sense to me.

Its inconceivable to me to allow a land unit to move via the ground but not a bunch of planeless pilots. I should be able to send in an air transport and pick their useless butts up. At the very least, place them in a rail car where possible and send them on down the line. Even a fragment should be able to rail out.

So the fix should allow you to move out pilots in units that have no flyable aircraft. If the unit had damaged aircraft and you transfer the pilots out, then have those planes become destroyed during the transfer.

BTW, the version we are playing is v1.8

This isn't meant to be a rant. Its just one of many design points that could have been done better.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> pilot reque Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI