Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starved of Napoleonic action?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Starved of Napoleonic action? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starved of Napoleonic action? - 11/20/2006 9:53:48 PM   
Paper Tiger

Try this, it ain't a patch on EiA, more like halfway back to risk but it's better than nothing
http://www.lordsofconquest.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Starved of Napoleonic action? - 11/21/2006 5:51:35 PM   
Joisey

I've been playing Lords of Conquest---One Napoleonics game, still ongoing, and two of the Medieval Diplomacy, one ended quickly and badly for me, the other one is just beginning.

My impressions so far:  The Diploware is solid, reliable code and has worked well on three different PC's I've installed it on.  Graphics are "okay" to "not too bad".  This being a PBEM game, they are more than adequate.

Turns are run weekly, on Thursdays.

You can play for free as a "Commoner", but you won't be able to hire leaders at this status level.  For a couple of bucks a turn "donation" (I hope this guy isn't relying on mere symantics to shelter him from the IRS, BTW) you can achieve "Royalty" status, and have officers in charge of your troops that give them a big boost in their % to hit per combat turn.

Unit variation is minimal, but there are some subtle differences that allow for National/Ethnic distinctiveness.  I have found Medieval Diplomacy to be a total BLAST, but all the action is in the Machivellian intrigue of daily e-mails as players jockey for position in the ever-scheming alliances.  Doing turn orders actually only takes me about 20 minutes, but I'll send and recieve a half dozen e-mails PER DAY during the week to keep up on the diplomatic front.

Back stabbing, and those who trip over their own tongues trying to be backstabbers, have provided some truly hilarious moments!

And your right:  I found this site by doing a Google search, looking for an interim fix while waiting for PC EiA to come out of the ether.  It has definitely helped to pass the time waiting for me.  Two Big Thumbs Up for me on this one.  

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 2
RE: Starved of Napoleonic action? - 2/25/2007 2:40:46 AM   
Joisey

I've also started playing online PBEM at Hexwar.com.  It has Napoleonics, Civil War, and WWII scenarios.  Unfortunately, it isn't free, but is by subscription.  Still, it's the best wargaming action I've had in awhile because I don't have to travel for hours every few months to play with someone.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Starved of Napoleonic action? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI