Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bizarre Destination Hex

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Bizarre Destination Hex Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 3:31:40 PM   
Icedawg

Last night I entertained the notion of starting a game as the allied player against the AI, so I opened up the Dec 8th scenario and did some exploring. During my searching, I discovered a very unusual destination hex for the Chinese infantry unit that begins the game in Nanchang (the one I usually send packing back towards Chagsha on turn 1 of just about every game I play as the Japanese). This unit has a destination set to "21st Air Flotilla"!

What the heck does that mean? I thought destinations were suppossed to be bases. How can a unit's destination be another unit? The response doesn't even fit the category. It would be like someone asking you which is your favorite month, and you answer "red". Very odd/surreal.
Post #: 1
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 3:34:02 PM   
Terminus

Erm, when you say "opened up", do you mean in the editor?

BTW, such a destination is entirely possible, because land combat units and bases are all kept in the same list ("Locations"). It's a typo during data entry.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 3:39:16 PM   
Icedawg

No, I wasn't using the editor. I opened the stock version of the Dec 8th scenario from the scenario selection screen. Anyone who has the stock version of the game should be able to repeat this (unless there's something seriously messed up with my game).

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 3:40:17 PM   
Terminus

Like I said, it's a typo in data entry. I think I've seen it too...

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 4
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 3:50:31 PM   
Icedawg

I thought you were implying that I had edited the scenario and typed in some jibberish for this unit's destination.

Can you do me a favor? If you have the game handy (I don't; I just got into work.), could you open up the Dec 8th scenario from the allied side and check the destination of this unit? If your version of the game also gives you a messed up destination, then I won't bother doing a reinstall of the game tonight. Thanks.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 4:04:46 PM   
Icedawg

Darn, Terminus just logged off. If anyone out there could do me a favor, I'd be grateful.

If you could just go through the process of starting a game as the allies in the Dec 8th scenario, check the destination of the Chinese infantry unit at Nanchang (the one that usually gets beaten to a pulp on turn 1 because there are 3 Japanese brigades there as well) and let me know what it reads, that would be great. My game gives me this weird destination and I would like to know if my game got messed up when I was playing around with the editor a few days ago or not. If everyone gets this result, then I won't bother doing a reinstall tonight. Thanks.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 4:21:21 PM   
Terminus

Hmmm, interesting... As far as I can see, the unit you're talking about is the 4th New Chinese Corps (#2279), and it has no destination set.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 7
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 4:22:32 PM   
Icedawg

Uh oh! Sounds like I need to do a reinstall. That should fix things, right?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 4:25:11 PM   
Terminus

Not sure. Could you take a screenshot of the unit and post it, please?

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 9
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 4:32:55 PM   
Icedawg

Well, I'm at work now and won't be back until Monday. And, since I don't have internet access at home, sending this screen shot won't be possible. (I just moved out to the middle of nowhere and will never do dial up again. It's better to go without than to go back to the stone age.)

I obviously only play against the AI lately, so its not really that big of a deal if I do a reinstall. I'll try reinstalling tonight and see if that fixes things. Hopefully it will.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 6:58:09 PM   
Grunt

I just checked my scenario.  It's not the destination, but the objective that is set to 21st Air Flotilla.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 11
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 7:04:20 PM   
Icedawg

Oops, my bad. However, it still creates the same problem. OBJECTIVES are supposed to be locations, not units.

This is good to hear though as other people have the same issue. At least now I know I didn't mess anything up when I was using the editor the other night and therefore don't have to do a reinstall.

Thanks.

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 12
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 7:50:51 PM   
Sonny II

Often when I set the "Set all to follow" the units end up with a destination like "E of Unit such-and-such". This sounds like what you are experiencing. Why it would be set that way to start is a mystery though.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 13
RE: Bizarre Destination Hex - 3/2/2007 10:26:43 PM   
Grunt

They way I play in China it doesn't matter what destination or objective I assign. I'm doomed anyway.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Bizarre Destination Hex Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI