Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> update? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
update? - 3/2/2007 7:31:10 PM   
freeboy

ok,
A. cannot get the Matrix site to download? alterantes?
B. Where is the graphics updat that so many use and why sas it not in the patch?
Post #: 1
RE: update? - 3/2/2007 7:34:13 PM   
wolflars

had same problem...3rd time was the charm...maybe its busy????

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: update? - 3/2/2007 7:49:38 PM   
freeboy

20 no connects I often go elseware if possible.
Anyone know about the graphics update? I think it was at a linked site, will look now.

(in reply to wolflars)
Post #: 3
RE: update? - 3/2/2007 10:42:13 PM   
Boonierat

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

20 no connects I often go elseware if possible.
Anyone know about the graphics update? I think it was at a linked site, will look now.

Not sure what graphic update you're talking about FB The graphics were updated with the release of TOAW III last year but this patch didn't bring anything new graphic-wise afaik, except the artillery ranges.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 12:41:32 AM   
freeboy

see the aars, LArry fa has an updated much nicer gfx.. I did find that but no patch

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 5
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 12:47:31 AM   
David Heath

Hi

Do you have a link to Larry fa AARs.

David

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 1:17:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the graphics mode I'm using. I've had it for about 18 months now and like it more than another graphics set. It's got a blue anchor for ports, a red airplane for airports, crosshatched railroads, dashed red lines for broken rails and more. If you're not a member of gamesquad and can't download it from here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1125

then just send me an email and I'll send it to you via email reply. larryfulkerson2002 (at) yahoo ( dot ) com

enjoy.

EDIT: sample picture below:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/3/2007 1:34:27 AM >

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 7
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 1:20:49 AM   
freeboy

David, see AAR above sorry to be so cryptic, still unable to download? any thoughts?
Larry I sent a pm with my email thanks .. the ones I downloaded where not so pretty!.. I vote for this pack to be made the standard!

< Message edited by freeboy -- 3/3/2007 1:48:27 AM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 3:16:18 AM   
freeboy

Sill unable to get p[atch, justtimes out.. goingon fifty tries now!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 3:24:26 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

Is that from the FTP sire or the member's area link? Someone said that going through the member's area is faster.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 10
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 4:24:59 AM   
cdbeck

Not to be too uber newb... I am just about to buy the game and I downloaded larry's Mod, how do I go about using it? Do I put it into a mod folder and then activate it in game, or do I overwrite the old stuff?

BTW, freeboy, I just dl'ed the patch and it worked fine. I did it from the normal download page from the game's main page. Do I need to apply .17 first?

Son of Montfort

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 11
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 5:15:54 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Not to be too uber newb... I am just about to buy the game and I downloaded larry's Mod, how do I go about using it? Do I put it into a mod folder and then activate it in game, or do I overwrite the old stuff?

Well...the first step is to go ahead and buy it...

Of course, if you've already bought it, and there is some miscommunication above, then a hearty "Thanks" is in order.

After that tedious stuff like buying and installing it is all said and done, then you would put the files that are in the mod, into your Graphics folder, overwriting the old stuff. You may want to make a backup copy of the Graphics folder beefore you do that though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
BTW, freeboy, I just dl'ed the patch and it worked fine. I did it from the normal download page from the game's main page. Do I need to apply .17 first?

No. All TOAW III patches are cumulative, and contain all material released in the older patches. That way, you only ever have to worry about having the most recent patch, and not about what convoluted order they may need to be applied in.

Best regards, and enjoy your game!

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 12
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 5:37:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
After that tedious stuff like buying and installing it is all said and done, then you would put the files that are in the mod, into your Graphics folder, overwriting the old stuff. You may want to make a backup copy of the Graphics folder beefore you do that though.

All the files in the "Graphics mod.zip" file are those files I copied into a zip file FROM MY "altgraphics" folder. So I'm assuming that one only needs drop all those mod files into the "altgraphics" folder. No change to the Graphics folder need be made is my understanding.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 6:23:18 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

All the files in the "Graphics mod.zip" file are those files I copied into a zip file FROM MY "altgraphics" folder. So I'm assuming that one only needs drop all those mod files into the "altgraphics" folder. No change to the Graphics folder need be made is my understanding.

Larry's correct on this. I keep forgetting about that, since I'm such an old stick in the mud, and prefer unmodded graphics. The altgraphics folder is searched first, so any of the graphics files in there will override those in the regular Graphics folder. Gives you an easy way to mix and match, if you are so inclined.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 14
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 7:23:45 AM   
Veers

Ok, I'm a nice guy. I like what you guys have done for the game, and I like the crop circles...but, couldn't they have been drawn like hezes, instead of circles?

It's just my opinion, but that would seem to be a little clearer...

< Message edited by Veers -- 3/3/2007 7:38:30 AM >

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 15
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 8:00:41 AM   
Veers

AHA! The editor worked, first try!! :D One question. After I had editted and exported my eqp file, I then loaded up my scenario in the editor and it said 'your are using the wrong .eqp file'. I pressed ok and then it continued to load up, showing my editted database...should that happen?

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 16
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 4:40:10 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

AHA! The editor worked, first try!! :D One question. After I had editted and exported my eqp file, I then loaded up my scenario in the editor and it said 'your are using the wrong .eqp file'. I pressed ok and then it continued to load up, showing my editted database...should that happen?

Yes, the lile that you loaded isn't the same one that you saved with last time<g>

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 17
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 4:41:41 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

Ok, I'm a nice guy. I like what you guys have done for the game, and I like the crop circles...but, couldn't they have been drawn like hezes, instead of circles?

Yes, but turn off the hex grid and add in escarpments, etc. and it gets muddier. I thought the hex version would be more accurate, but look at lot more 'gamey'.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 18
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 4:46:48 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

Thanks for the picture, BTW. I didn't notice that the circle was off-center. I'll fix that for the next patch.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 19
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 5:42:39 PM   
Veers

Ralph,
RE Error message: Thanks for the elxplination, mate.
RE Crop Hexes: Makes sense.
RE Off-centre: Yeah, I uh...actually didn't really spot that... SO, good catch. :D

Post #: 20
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 8:49:46 PM   
wolflars

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

Yes, but turn off the hex grid and add in escarpments, etc. and it gets muddier. I thought the hex version would be more accurate, but look at lot more 'gamey'.

Love the crop circles!!! better than crop hexagons? Well, since I play with grid off I prefer the circles. I only got to play 20 min or so with the new update, so far so good. I hit the "I" key and said 'whoa...cool' It is really helpful for planning, but I am a little unclear as to what the colors for the circles are, as I said I only got to play around with it for a few minutes so.....

Post #: 21
RE: update? - 3/3/2007 8:50:46 PM   
freeboy

the members area still is the one not working ffor me... thanks

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 22
RE: update? - 3/10/2007 8:54:17 PM   
Veers

On the crop circles: The 'circle' does not appear to be drawn correctly, as well as being off centre.

Is this also going to be fixed in the next update?
Further, is the crop circles option going to get its own button? It is a nice feature to have, but I'd love to see the units visible/invisible button go back to being just that again, sometime.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 23
RE: update? - 3/10/2007 9:09:30 PM   
JAMiAM

Wyatt, can you post two separate screenshots, please? The timing of the image switching doesn't give enough time to see what you're talking about before motion sickness sets in...

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 24
RE: update? - 3/10/2007 9:09:59 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

On the crop circles: The 'circle' does not appear to be drawn correctly, as well as being off centre.

Don't think it really needs fixing.

Like artillery with a range of 1 hex, the crop circle counts the starting hex as 1. The last full hex in the example is actually hex number 12 and the 13th is any of the next three . . . that is, the shallow water hex directly above number 12, the next rail road hex and the mountain hex.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 25
RE: update? - 3/10/2007 9:23:42 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

Don't think it really needs fixing.

Like artillery with a range of 1 hex, the crop circle counts the starting hex as 1. The last full hex in the example is actually hex number 12 and the 13th is any of the next three . . . that is, the shallow water hex directly above number 12, the next rail road hex and the mountain hex.

Regards, RhinoBones

Naw, if that was true, Arty with a range of 1 wouldn't support anything outside of its own hex. And arty with range of two would only support stuff 1 hex away.
Unless you are refering to the first hex outside of a unit being hex 1, in which case you are correct and so is my picture.
@James: Working on it right now.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 26
RE: update? - 3/10/2007 9:38:08 PM   
Veers

Tada. Hopefully this better ilusrates what Im refering to. Now, it's not that I'm advocating crop hexes (ok, I am ), but a crop circle that lies to me doesn't do me a lot of good. Not that I don't think the idea, itself, is bad. I love it, I just think it may need to be improved somewhat. :D
Sorry for the largeness of this pic.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 27
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 1:29:16 AM   
JAMiAM

Fricking server reset caused me to lose the previous post...

Anyhow, I see what you're talking about, Wyatt. I agree that the DBR should be displayed as a hexagonal shape, as opposed to the circle. As the range becomes greater, so will the difference between the circle and the polygonal side midpoints, even if the circle is perfectly centered, and perfectly drawn - neither of which we current have being the case.

I prefer function over form, and in this case, though the circles look nicer, they are misleading in some respects. Personally, I don't really use them myself, since I always leave the hex grid on while playing, and look at the individual units so that I know the composition of them. It's rather useless to worry about the maximum range of a unit given that it might be set for that unit by a single (or even non-existent) piece of equipment. Especially when the majority of the unit's actual bombardment strength is at some other range.

What would be more useful, IMO, than the circles is a diplay of the strength of a ranged unit at its incremental ranges. Only the differentiating radii would need to be displayed, and that is usually only two or three increments in the vast majority of cases.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 28
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 2:59:00 AM   
cbird

relax wildman....
quote:

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 29
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 7:19:08 AM   
a white rabbit

..within the restricted area of the crop circle, any chance that the engine can be given the ability to recognise different heights of terrain, and not shoot over them ?..well, unless it's a mortar or similar...

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to cbird)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> update? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI